DTV using deceptive unethical advertising

Initiate

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 3:07 am » by Sceptilief

Simply put, the AdBull adverts - the ones that attack my mouse pointer and idiotically follow it as I try to navigate the forum - are deceptive and unethical and should be removed from your PHP installation, to be replaced with something a little more tasteful.

I am on this forum almost every single day of every single week. Some of those days, I prefer to not log-in, choosing to read and surf anonymously. When I do, this AdBull mouse attack shows up seconds after the page loads, and often works its way under my mouse as I'm clicking on a link... sending me to some ad I have absolutely no interest in.

Now, as one web developer to another web developer, I understand that a web server is an expensive thing to run, and I have no problem with DTV using advertising to keep these servers running. I don't want to see DTV disappear from the Internet, but I also know that as a web developer, there is a tricky balance of accessibility and necessity that we must employ in order to keep people coming to our sites. And while this AdBull issue would be considered a minor inconvenience (as it remembers if it's been clicked or knows if your logged in when deciding to show itself), it's the compounding effects of minor inconveniences that drive people away from sites. Especially when those inconveniences use deceptive unethical ways to raise a few pennies from accidental clicks These also lead a person to some site they never chose or gave permission to navigate to, unlike traditional adverts.

If I see an ad in the side bar or in the header that catches my interest, I will click it. But I don't want to be coherced into padding your ad click revenue, and I will leave DTV if this practice is held as acceptable by the DTV web developers.

Cheers,

Robert
23:59;01

Initiate

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 am » by Bilbow

they aint in it for the love :o

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 3:17 am » by Roadkill

What advertising? I have zero ads on my browser.
Science will fly you into the Cosmos

Upload to Disclose.tv

Religion will fly you into Buildings

Initiate

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 am » by Stratafire

Your kidding right?

If your a real web developer, you would already know about a proxy server, which tends to block linked adverts, and randomizes your IP address (better safe, then forever sorry IMHO).

Download one like "privoxy", or go through a good firewall filter...

This is 'The OWNERS" house, not mine, and not yours ... if he/she wants to put adverts on the sites "so what?"..

Super Moderator

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 3:47 am » by Spock

I got a GREAT IDEA!

I say DTV become a pay site. Do away with the ads. $5 a month or $15 a quarter - that will keep the riff-raff out (dickheads as well as ads) and make this a much more serious forum.

People that don't wish to spend $30/year (one bag) of their precious weed money, can go somewhere else.

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 3:48 am » by Funnyman46

Sceptilief I hear ya man, it drives me nuts when I forget to sign in.
But I also understand that this is a business and a nice way to get folks to sign up as members to avoid it.
That being said, if this is all I dislike, it’s not much at all.

Spock, don't be talkin carzy :ohno: :D
Please do not take anything I say as truth, I am under control of a lizard race hell bent on staying underground and unseen to further my paranoia.

Super Moderator

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 3:49 am » by Spock

funnyman46 wrote:Spock, don't be talkin carzy :ohno: :D

I'm serious.

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 am » by Funnyman46

spock wrote:
funnyman46 wrote:Spock, don't be talkin carzy :ohno: :D

I'm serious.

You know, to be honest I don’t even see the ads. I go straight to the forum and see who’s lost it the most today.
Please do not take anything I say as truth, I am under control of a lizard race hell bent on staying underground and unseen to further my paranoia.

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 4:20 am » by Roadkill

I should be paid to post here.
Science will fly you into the Cosmos

Upload to Disclose.tv

Religion will fly you into Buildings

Initiate

PostTue Jan 25, 2011 4:33 am » by Sceptilief

spock wrote:I got a GREAT IDEA!

I say DTV become a pay site. Do away with the ads. $5 a month or $15 a quarter - that will keep the riff-raff out (dickheads as well as ads) and make this a much more serious forum.

People that don't wish to spend $30/year (one bag) of their precious weed money, can go somewhere else.

You've made your point. Very clearly.

$$$TRUTH FOR SALE$$$
23:59;01

Next