Earth in cross-hairs of gigantic solar storm that could blow

Initiate

PostTue Sep 27, 2011 4:43 pm » by Swissbrit

Earth in cross-hairs of gigantic solar storm that could blow circuits of ANYTHING from iPods to GPS to the electric power grid

A sunspot so big it would dwarf the Earth is releasing gigantic solar flares that could wreak havoc with electrical communications.

However, there is a pleasant upside. Known as ‘Active Region 1302’, it is producing bursts of radiation so intense that spectacular auroras, caused by the sun’s particles hitting the atmosphere, have been seen as far south as Oxfordshire.

Nasa has detected two X-class solar eruptions from 1302 – the most extreme possible – in the past week. One that occurred on September 24 produced an amazing light show over England last night – but it’s far from over, as the sunspot isn’t yet directly aligned with Earth.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1ZADzZm6I

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1ZADYrwAq

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 27, 2011 4:55 pm » by Richc

The national grid have for some time been building measures into the system to avoid such events.

Hopefully they have done enough to keep our power running or at least get the power back quickly.?

Now on the other hand i have no problem with all the Ipods and mobile phones being destroyed.

Might make my daughter do something more productive with her life. 8-)

Maybe less of all these radio and microwaves flying everywhere round the world will be good for us in general.

Technology is good but bad at the same time.

RIK
"Theres A Storm Coming!"

Initiate

PostTue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 pm » by Alwaysincontrol

This is the most logical and with the highest probability.

http://projectcamelot.org/electrical_engineer.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... mmentBlock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_TzIUla ... r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLjnqS8 ... re=related
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/06/ ... -disaster/

As I stated in a previous thread:

The facts about 2012 are as follows: (keep in mind there is a lot more info available out there but its buried and suppressed)

The earth spins and generates an electro magnetic field that protects us from the suns harmful rays/flares. For some reason there is a massive dampening or hole in this protective field and its slowly getting worse.
[url]http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/16dec_giantbreach/
[/url]
According to history the last solar cycle that effected the earth on a catastrophic level was back in 1859 which was said that :"Even more disconcerting, telegraph systems worldwide went haywire. Spark discharges shocked telegraph operators and set the telegraph paper on fire. Even when telegraphers disconnected the batteries powering the lines, aurora-induced electric currents in the wires still allowed messages to be transmitted. " http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... gtonflare/

According to scientists they are warning us that its going to happen again. Sometime in 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_TzIUla ... r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLjnqS8 ... re=related

Its such a possibility that the government and other nations are running test scenarios
"The exercise, held in Boulder, Colorado, was intended to investigate "what we think could be close to a worst-case scenario," says Tom Bogdan, who directs the Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder. The Center is a part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... mmentBlock

Forget about prophecy or even what the chinese or mayans wrote about thousands of years ago. Instead, think about what the likely possibility of an electrical storm frying all our satellites all our transformers and even electrical lines which wont be able to stand up to the solar storm because they are not properly insulated. We cant possibly fix this problem in less than 2 years and we wonder why the government is spending trillions to build underground bunkers D.U.M.B's? They're going underground. People are building their own homes and nuclear missile silos into homes and growing food on their own. Think about how long it would take to replace all electric lines and power stations once we're hit. Months? Years? Decades?

This is the most likely scenario. No cell phone, no electricity, no gps, nothing. without electricity we cant pump gas. Trucks transporting food to grocery stores will stop after a couple days. People will panic and riot, kill and do whatever it takes to survive. Dont stay in the city, get to the highlands and the countryside. I'm already planning for this now. I plan to move in the next year. I encourage all to do the same and build a community to help each other survive. But dont beleive me do the research, find out for yourself. Dont sit on threads talking shit and putting people down when you dont have the knowledge or initiative to do your own research. If you're not helping, you're hurting. My best to you all.
"It is done, now my eggs need nourishment" - Anna

Master Conspirator
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostTue Sep 27, 2011 7:23 pm » by Savwafair2012

Just before 12:00 UTC Monday, the ACE Spacecraft detected a solar wind increase to over 700 km/s at its peak. This indicated the arrival of a the Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) sweeping past the spacecraft which was the result of a long duration M7.1 Solar Flare on Sept. 24. The Bz had titled sharply south at times (-30nT) and a Strong G3 to G4 Level Geomagnetic Storm occurred at high latitudes. Less severe Geomagnetic Storming took place at middle latitudes. Because the timing of the CME shock was early in the day, visible Aurora would have favored Europe and not here in North America. There have since been periods of sporadic storming at high latitudes, but is expected to become quieter during the day on Tuesday.
FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm » by Chronicnerd

savwafair2012 wrote:Image

Just before 12:00 UTC Monday, the ACE Spacecraft detected a solar wind increase to over 700 km/s at its peak. This indicated the arrival of a the Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) sweeping past the spacecraft which was the result of a long duration M7.1 Solar Flare on Sept. 24. The Bz had titled sharply south at times (-30nT) and a Strong G3 to G4 Level Geomagnetic Storm occurred at high latitudes. Less severe Geomagnetic Storming took place at middle latitudes. Because the timing of the CME shock was early in the day, visible Aurora would have favored Europe and not here in North America. There have since been periods of sporadic storming at high latitudes, but is expected to become quieter during the day on Tuesday.

I think this *might* be right...and am leaning this way regarding the report. However, not to freak folks out, I have been monitoring this situation pretty closely for awhile now (big freak on solar storms)... and the NOAA predictions and estimates have been more accurate than every before...but they still have been off on things a bit due to additional factors.
The solar weather we had last week of interest:
===========================================================
September 22nd:
Highest Flare Level: X
Cluster CME: NO
Highest Strength Flare: 1.4-1.5 X Class
Estimate Strength Earth Relative: Class M with Strength ranging between M4 to M7
Estimated Time to Arrival: September 25th to September 26th (currently impacting Earth)

September 23rd:
Highest Flare Level: M
Cluster CME: Yes -- Light
Initial Strength of Flare(s): 1.4-2.0
Estimate Strength Earth Relative: High Class C to Low Class M
Estimated Time to Arrival: September 25th to September 26th (expected to impact later today/early tomorrow morning)

If we look at the K-Index graph (provided in post being replied to) and take into consideration that it takes between 3 to 4 days for a CME to impact Earth (based on speed as well as the cloud's density), then my running theory is the 22nd and 23rd flares *merged* as they traveled outwards. The original X class flare was a very light glancing blow, but the combination of the M class flares pushed it up into the 8 K index range. We saw this happen in the August CME erruption that was several M class flares...due to the polarity of flares and the first flare being more dense (plasma/cloud relative)...it slowed down due to the gravitational pull from the sun on the plasma cloud. The remaining CME's, for the August cluster, were more energetic than dense and they ended up "catching up to" the first flare that was plasma heavy/dense. In addition, CME's are polarized...positive at the front...negative at the back...which if emitted in a relatively timed fashion from the same region/sunspot...they would have an electromagnetic influence on one another...just like magnets.

Now, I *very well* could be wrong on this, but I believe we still have the following CME's to deal with between today and end of day tomorrow:
September 24th:
Highest Flare Level: X
Cluster CME: Yes -- Mid-toHeavy M Class ( 5 inbound counted)
Highest Strength Flare: 1.9 X Class
Estimate Strength of Primary (Earth Relative): High M Class ranging between 7 and 8
Initial Strength of Cluster Average: 4.5 M Class
Estimate Strength of Cluster (Earth Relative): Medium to low M Class ranging between 2 and 4 (but lasts for 9-12 hours)
Estimated Time to Arrival: September 27th to September 28th

September 25th:
Highest Flare Level: M
Cluster CME: Yes -- Mid-toHeavy M Class ( 7 inbound counted)
Highest Strength Flare:7.8 - 8.1 MClass
Estimate Strength of Primary (Earth Relative): High M Class ranging between 7 and 8
Initial Strength of Cluster Average: 4.5 M Class
Estimate Strength of Cluster (Earth Relative): Medium to low M Class ranging between 2 and 4 (but lasts for 9-12 hours)
Estimated Time to Arrival: September 28th to September 29th

If not the X Class...most definitely the other 13 M Class flares (5 on the 24th and 7 on the 25th)...
Call it a hunch...or just bad guessing in the event it calms down completely by tomorrow...but if we see high K-index levels by around 3:00PM CST to 7:00PM CST today, then the K-Index values we saw yesterday we more than likely on the cusp of the 24th (i.e. the X class) or prior to it (the first X class with the 2 M class following).

Obviously time will tell...but something bugs me about the most recent activity...and how it is hitting the Earth...it seems like it was not the full blow of the solar weather...

Remember...we had 2 solid days of mid-ranged M Class flares that started with an X Class...(24th to 25th)... the K-index *should* reflect the time frames proportionally.

Here is a link to the entire range of activity from the 18th to the 26th:
http://www.chronicnerd.com/images/xray09_18_26_2011.gif

I think we might have seen the second X Class flare (in the above K-index graph) with the first M-Class... but then we have 11 more M-Class level flares (towards the end of the graph from the link above) that happen over a period of around 48 hours. This *should* mean that starting today and up until Thursday morning we will see medium to medium high K-Index levels, with the possibility of CME clustering...which could yield an occasional 7-9 K-Index level.

Not 100% out of the woods just yet.

Initiate

PostTue Sep 27, 2011 9:07 pm » by Trenker

We had a complete power outage on the night of 26th. I live in Guernsey, a small island in the English Channel, so the very southern most part of the UK. I looked out over the dark town just in case there were northern lights but could not see any.

Bit of a coincidence that we had an island wide power failure though?

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 am » by Flecktarn

trenker wrote:We had a complete power outage on the night of 26th. I live in Guernsey, a small island in the English Channel, so the very southern most part of the UK. I looked out over the dark town just in case there were northern lights but could not see any.

do you know if France experienced any power outs as your quite close ?
ImageImage

Initiate

PostWed Sep 28, 2011 3:34 am » by Garciaface

I got a lot of vids for last night's show as viewed from Northeastern Maine. Tonight the show is light, but I got some great vids already. I have a real hard time downloading the stuff for some reason. DTV video engine doesn't like me.

Initiate

PostWed Sep 28, 2011 7:35 am » by pandoras

Dunno about the rest of the world right now at 23:25MST in central Alberta Canada, but we got some wicked Northern lights going on excellent light show.
Don't get me wrong we get the lights all the time BUT...wrong time of year and waaaaaay too far south to be getting them like this.
I was just wondering if the solar storm had anything to do with it. (Hope the power dosen't go out!)

Initiate

PostWed Sep 28, 2011 3:10 pm » by Trenker

flecktarn wrote:
trenker wrote:We had a complete power outage on the night of 26th. I live in Guernsey, a small island in the English Channel, so the very southern most part of the UK. I looked out over the dark town just in case there were northern lights but could not see any.

do you know if France experienced any power outs as your quite close ?

The French coast seemed well illuminated, so I guess they were fine. It was just us.

Next