Earthquakes, Volcanoes and other Planetary Craziness!

Conspirator

PostTue Feb 07, 2012 4:18 pm » by Helios

Quake activity has been quite severe this winter ive noticed, checking the RSOE each day and well, its just busy as fuck, little things but feels like even 5 magnitude quakes are a little more common now. Not as hectic as last year currently though, but we have only just started.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo
Anyone up for a hike across continent, check some trees out, explore some caves, do a little hunting, help out some locals?

Tickety Tock
Let me take the waves out of the ocean
Let me take the stars down from the sky
Let me take the faith from your foundation
Let me take the wrong to make it right
Let me take away the dark like I’ve been here all night
Ending before I begin

Conspirator

PostTue Feb 07, 2012 4:48 pm » by Dagnamski

I like dutchsense and his coverage.

"Buy your siesomgagmometers now"
“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it”

>>>>>Image

Conspirator

PostSun Feb 12, 2012 3:10 am » by Shaggietrip

ImageImage[img]

Remember when a Harp was a good thing.

Conspirator

PostSun Feb 12, 2012 6:39 pm » by Shaggietrip

In the 1st video I am posting something struck me a bit odd. Dutch brings up the fact of how where some of the earthquakes are going off they are around dormant Volcanos. He says which have been dormit for 20,000-30,000 years. Well that would be pretty much 26,000 years ago. Hmmmm, last time we went through the galactic plain maybe? This is based off his comments of 20-30 thousand years. Not sure if it is fact or not I did not research each one.

dutchsinse

Upload to Disclose.tv

Follow up video

Upload to Disclose.tv

Here are a few Volcanos in the 30,000 dormant time line

Whāngārei Volcanic Field

Formed over a hot spot (not a plate boundary), similar to Auckland, but much older. The Whāngārei field was active from 2.3 million years ago until approximately 30,000 years ago. It produced mainly scoria cone volcanoes.
Source: http://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/Contexts/Volcanoes/Sci-Media/Animations-and-Interactives/Volcano-map-of-New-Zealand

_________

Volcanoes in Auvergne
Vulcania was dug in the lava of a volcano that erupted 30,000 years ago.
Source: http://marie-claude-arnott.suite101.com/france-learn-about-volcanoes-in-auvergne-a371385

_________

Australia
Near Tower Hill, you can join a walking tour through the extinct volcano where Aboriginal people lived until it erupted 30,000 years ago.
Source: google

_________

Chaitén's
Geologist: This volcano has been extinct for 30,000 years.
Source: http://scienceblogs.com/highlyallochthonous/2008/05/active_dormant_and_extinct_vol.php

________

Malinao
Malinao volcano eruptions: 1628 (?), ca. 30,000 years ago
Source: http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/malinao.html

there are more.

Here is tid bit on tectonics.

It is now uniformly agreed that the crustal plates of the Earth are in horizontal motion. This is called continental drift colloquially, and plate tectonics in technically more precise language. This is newly won knowledge. Although the idea has been around for almost a century, it was not generally accepted (indeed, was often considered crackpot) until the last few decades.

The following animation illustrates the drift of the continental plates over the last 750 million years

The Drift of the Continents
We now believe that the surface of the Earth looked very different 200 million years ago from its present appearance. In particular, the continents have changed because they sit on blocks of the lithosphere that are in horizontal motion with respect to each other, and indeed they continue to change because the horizontal motion continues. The following figure illustrates.

The present continents separated from two supercontinents called Laurasia and Gondwanaland through this process of plate tectonics. The two supercontinents may have once been united in a single supercontinent called Pangaea, though this is less certain.
The Origin of Plate Tectonics
What is the origin of plate tectonics? The continents drift slowly (the timescale for substantial change is 10-100 million years), but that they drift at all is remarkable. The following figure illustrates the structure of the first 100-200 kilometers of the Earth's interior, and provides an answer to this question.

The crust is thin, varying from a few tens of kilometers thick beneath the continents to to less than 10 km thick beneath the many of the oceans. The crust and upper mantle together constitute the lithosphere, which is typically 50-100 km thick and is broken into large plates (not illustrated). These plates sit on the aesthenosphere.

The aesthenosphere is kept plastic (deformable) largely through heat generated by radioactive decay. The material that is decaying is primarily radioactive isotopes of light elements like aluminum and magnesium. This heat source is small on an absolute scale (the corresponding heat flow at the surface out of the Earth is only about 1/6000 of the Solar energy falling on the surface). Nevertheless, because of the insulating properties of the Earth's rocks this is sufficient to keep the aesthenosphere plastic in consistency.
Convection Currents
Very slow convection currents flow in this plastic layer, and these currents provide horizontal forces on the plates of the lithosphere much as convection in a pan of boiling water causes a piece of cork on the surface of the water to be pushed sideways (following figure).

Of course, the timescale for convection in the pan is seconds and for plate tectonics is 10-100 million years, but the principles are similar. Thus, we see that differentiation is crucial to plate tectonics on the Earth, because it is responsible for producing an interior that can support tectonic motion.

Source: http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/earth/tectonics.html

:cheers:
ImageImage[img]

Conspirator

PostTue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 am » by Shaggietrip

More quakes and the dormant volcanoes

Upload to Disclose.tv

if anyone has more info on the dormant volcanoes or recent activities around them. Post away.

Help in this area needed. No matter where ya post the info. post it and keep your eyes open to info.

tried 3 times cannot get vid to link. here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_OMNGrKbo
ImageImage[img]

Conspirator

PostTue Feb 14, 2012 3:57 am » by Shaggietrip

This shows a bit more of the recent quakes. 1st min or 2 is lame but after the crap the info is pretty good.

Upload to Disclose.tv

ImageImage[img]

Conspirator

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 2:28 am » by Shaggietrip

Just some info. Not sure if this was pointed out yet in the forum. I am a little out of practice. Been away for a few days. That said here is a bit on the craton movement in the US area.

rock and roll

Upload to Disclose.tv

ImageImage[img]

Initiate

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 2:49 am » by Ishumble

shaggietrip wrote:Just some info. Not sure if this was pointed out yet in the forum. I am a little out of practice. Been away for a few days. That said here is a bit on the craton movement in the US area.

rock and roll

Upload to Disclose.tv

We will see what happens

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 11:02 am » by Shaggietrip

Pretty impressive eruption . They seem to be getting larger.

Upload to Disclose.tv

ImageImage[img]

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 06, 2012 3:23 am » by Shaggietrip

Ok, you have to check this out. What the hell is causing these plumes?

Follow instructions to see...

1st go here
http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/index.php

2nd Then in menu to left click 2km products

3rd Click visible in drop down.

4th click on dot in Mississippi

5th put pointer over visible upper left and select 48 image loop.

Let it load. Notice all the plumes towards the end. WTF? Anybody have any non smart ass answers?

:headscratch:
ImageImage[img]

PreviousNext