Eating organics might make you a self-righteous jerk, study

Conspirator

PostMon May 21, 2012 7:02 pm » by One-23

Eating organic food may make you into a self-righteous jerk, a new study says.

The study suggests that people who choose organic foods are likely to “harshen moral judgments” as their choices lead to a feeling of self-righteousness.

"There's a line of research showing that when people can pat themselves on the back for their moral behavior, they can become self-righteous," said Kendall Eskine, a psychologist at Loyola University New Orleans and the lead author, reported the Today Show.

Researchers describe the phenomenon as “moral licensing” which means that those who carry out good deeds feel entitled to engage in other immoral behavior.

The study used 62 undergraduates and told them they were participating in separate studies: one about consumer research, and the other a moral judgment test, said Time.

The researchers showed them pictures of food, which the students rated for desirability and then examples of behavior and told to rate them as moral or immoral on a sliding scale.

Those students who were exposed to healthy, organic food were significantly less ethical.

“Those exposed to organic food made significantly harsher moral judgments than those exposed to control foods or comfort foods,” said Erskine, reported Pacific Standard.

“These findings reveal that organic foods and morality do share the same conceptual space.”

The study was published in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

Source http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... study-says

Upload to Disclose.tv

WELCOME TO THE D.D.C
DTV Doomtards Club

Super Moderator

PostMon May 21, 2012 7:12 pm » by Seahawk

Lol. At least you'll be a Healthier self-righteous jerk.

Upload to Disclose.tv

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

Writer

PostFri Jun 01, 2012 6:28 pm » by Jenna

Hmm, I think the fact that this study was done on students plays a role here. College age students tend to be a tad self-righteous, especially when they fall into a movement.. Like veganism let's say.
I have changed everything about the way I eat over the last year or so and I've become way more open and accepting, happy and non-judgmental than I've ever been in my life.
I guess you get a little more laid back with age.. =p
It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs. Image

Initiate

PostFri Jun 01, 2012 7:05 pm » by Middleman

What kind of poor excuse for a trick cyclist equates seeing pictures of food with eating it?

Conspirator

PostSat Jun 02, 2012 12:11 am » by Doogle

So that's why everyone who, well, ate food before intensive farming and chemical bullshit spraying was self righteous. Damn, it's obvious.

Shhhhiiiit, we should have to pay even more than we do, thinking about it, for the extra ingredients.

jeez.

Conspirator

PostSat Jun 02, 2012 4:59 am » by mediasorcery

this is pure crap.
the story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye, until we meet again my friend.

Conspirator

PostSat Jun 02, 2012 7:56 am » by Nihilgeist

Hahahaha, yea that sounds like Dr. Jones alright, our residential self-righteous vegan
Five Finger Death Punch
"I'd rather you hate me, for everything I am than ever love me, for something that I'm not."

Lowsix wrote:Seriously dude..you're trash.
Always have been.