Vaping vs. Smoking: The E-Cigarette thread. (Renamed)

Initiate

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 1:35 pm » by Spikey

As an almost 'veteran' vaper, i'm really pleased all of you guys and gals in this thread are gonna give the vaping thing a bash.

That's great.

But there are a few things to bear in mind as you start out, other veteran vapers will already know this i s'pose.

1) You're not 'quitting'...you're swiching from smoking tobacco, to using ecigs as a cleaner, healthier and frankly, more 21st century nicotine delivery system, that does away with all the harmful side effects of smoking tobacco, including second hand smoke issues.

2) If like me, you smoked heavily for decades...there's going to be an adjustment period, sometimes it can last a week, or even months, though from what i can tell, that's very rare.

Basically, cigarettes are poison, we all know it. They and most hand rolling tobaccos, contain over 4000 adjuvants and additives, preservatives and all sorts that are highly toxic to your body and tissues...dozens of these 4000 are proven carcinogens and mutagens.

There will be a period where your body will detoxify itself and leech out these toxins that have saturated your cells and tissues. This would happen if you stopped smoking by 'cold turkey' quitting, or switched to an ecig.

You may find that as your body goes through detox, that you might develop a minor skin rash or two, or develop acne and pimples around your face and neck, you'll probably find that as your lungs begin to loosen up and try to clear themselves of years of crap being inhaled, you'll start coughing up phlegm and mucos...this is normal, and only your lungs getting rid of the clogged filth.

This is an effect of the toxins being exreted through your skin, and should only be temporary until your system is flushed out.

2) Some people, although it's a relatively small % of people, are sensitive to either PG (propylene glycol) or VG (vegetable glycerin) in the e-liquid. This can result in tenderness of the mouth, gums and maybe a sore throat too.

The solution is to try another mix of e-liquid.

E-liquid comes with two main ingredients, PG or VG. If 100% PG gives you problems, try a juice made from 100% VG instead.
You can also get a ratio mix of both PG / VG in the same juice, as most mixes are customisable on purchace (50/50, 75/25, etc)...if you have problems, try another mix.

You'll probably already know if you are sensitive to PG or VG anyway, as the stuff is in 1000's of products from shampoo, soap even in a lot of your foods.

Sometimes the slight soreness of the mouth or throat can also be the period where your body is adjusting to getting rid of the tobacco toxins, so can be tricky in the first couple of weeks to tell what is what.

Expect a couple of weeks bedding in, don't be disheartened, it will pass soon enough.

3) Not everyone has the same taste in juices, devices to vape the juices, or battery mods.

What i like and find works well for me, might not suit you and vice versa. When you start vaping, you will find you need a couple of months to discover what is best for you personally, what flavours and strengths of nicotine juice suit you etc. Most people try lots of different juices until they find one or two that then become 'an all day vape', with some having say...a hazelnut coffee flavour juice with breakfast, and a strawberry and cream flavour juice for lunch, and a whiskey or brandy flavour for relaxing in the evening...the choices are almost endless...there is even a HOT chilli flavour...or how about bacon (ewww).

But however many juices and bits and bobs you try, sooner or later you'll find the one's you like best....buying a pack of 15 or so small 'taster' bottles is a good way to try lots of flavours without spending a fortune...most vendors sell a multipack to try. If you ask nicely, many will send you free samples to try out too...doesn't hurt to ask eh?

A popular flavour is RY4, it's a sweetish, caramel / toffee with a hint of sweet tobacco flavour, and is my all day vape.

I tailor the bought juice by adding drops of concentrated flavourings, like toffee, vanilla and a drop or two of coconut (trust me, to me, it tastes lovely)

We all have our reasons for switching, most of us it's health, for others it's saving money, for some it's novelty value...but i will say this:

Before i switched to ecigs, i had smoked for over 30 years...quite heavily too. I have two young sons, and realised one day that i could no longer just walk up my homes stairs without actually panting when i got to the top..scared the shit out of me...and it hit me like a tonne of fucking bricks. Now i run around like i did in the Army, when i was a teenager..i feel great.

My Eldest, who was only 5 at the time, was crying and said "Daddy...why do you have to smoke?...i don't want you to die.."

THAT was enough for me...i'll never forget that day..ever. I knew there and then that i was going to pack up smoking, then i found out about ecigs. That was a year and a half ago, and i haven't looked back, neither has my wife...we switched together.

If someone is smoking in the street, have to cross the street now...i can't stand the chocking smell of the smoke anymore..i actually find it hard to breath when exposed to the crap.

Remember...you're a vaper...not a smoker.

Sorry for the long posts about this stuff...it's something that would take 2 minutes tops to verbally tell someone, but a bloody novel to write about.

Whatever you decide to do, smoke or switch...best of luck to ya.

Super Moderator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 1:37 pm » by Spock

Jetski - Volcano is located in Hawaii. I live on the other side of the earth, so I believe NZ is actually closer to Hawaii than South Carolina is.

I show Hawaii being 4,648 miles from you, where it is 5,574 miles from me. I got my stuff in 2 days via FedEx (2 day delivery).

Anyway - don't let that stop you, by from volcano!

Here's the link...

Here's the link to the HIGHLY recommended starter kit I got
http://www.volcanoecigs.com/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/inferno-kit.html

And here's a link to use a coupon code for 10% off your entire order through December
http://www.ecigadvanced.com/electronic-cigarette-coupons/volcano-coupon-discount-code/

Another side note for anyone trying this.

I was on their forum and chat yesterday seeking advice because I could not inhale the vapor - it stung my lungs too much, someone had posted something to try which worked for me (if you are using a cartomizer as opposed to the small anolog cigarette look-alikes) take a few drags off the ecig without pushing the button (no vapor) dry drags. Then push the button and draw the vapor, somehow, that makes the vapor (for me) inhalable!

And, I have been vaping on the same cartomizer that I filled when I got this 2 days ago. Have not even vaped half of what I put in it yet. At this rate, one bottle will easily last me at least 3 weeks @ only $19.99/bottle. So that is a savings of at least $85 every 3 weeks to cigarettes.

Super Moderator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 1:48 pm » by Spock

Great stuff Spikey - who do you use as your flavor vendor? I am interested in trying the multi-flavor pack you talked about. Also very interested in vegetable glycerin liquid - I have no idea what the kind I got from Volcano is.

I know that I labored for a year because I did not want to throw any more money away, like I did on the Blu e-cigs, that is why I am going to be a huge advocate of Volcano for first timers, and also for models like the Inferno as opposed to analog look-alikes.

Super Moderator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 1:52 pm » by Spock

Funny too, this thread started out as SPAM. I think when it first came out, either I or another mod deleted the link to the spammer's product. :P

Master Conspirator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 pm » by *WillEase*

Electronic Cigarettes were first popularized as a safer way of nicotine intake. While Electronic Cigarette consumption is safer than having actual cigarettes filled with tobacco, they are not really a total safe option.

Read on to know about some of the main Electronic Cigarette dangers.

Diethylene Glycol
Electronic Cigarettes are found to contain an anti-freeze component known as Diethylene Glycol. It is toxic to humans and can cause health worries on inhalation. This is one of the major Electronic Cigarette side effects.

Toxicity
Other than Diethylene Glycol, e-cigarettes also contain cancer-causing compounds like nitrosamines. If the cigarette accidentally breaks, humans may be exposed to such harmful components.

Bad Marketing
The marketing strategy of e-cigarettes has also come under criticism. Many electronic cigarette brands are being found to offer e-cigarettes in various flavours like mint, orange and chocolate. This can entice smokers as well as non-smokers. This actually promotes smoking rather than curbing it.

Some electronic cigarette juices have caramel and strawberry flavourings that may attract children into smoking.

Nicotine
Health experts argue that electronic cigarettes contain nicotine, the basic element found in cigarettes. In an electronic cigarette liquid nicotine is used. Nicotine is an alkaloid medicine that is harmful for humans. A long drag on the cigarette can make you actually suck some of the liquid nicotine into your mouth. This can be very damaging for health. You have to drag the cigarette slowly for 3-5 seconds, which is not always possible to be careful about.

Tetramethylpyrazine
E-cigarettes also consist of Tetramethylpyrazine. Prolonged exposure to Tetramethylpyrazine can result in brain damage in human beings.

Misuse
There is also a widespread concern that electronic cigarette consumption may promote drug use. There are reports of liquid nicotine being substituted with liquid THC, a popular potent marijuana resin. If electronic cigarette e liquid is replaced with addictive drugs, it can become highly damaging to health. It can cause further breakdown of the health instead of improving it. In any case, electronic cigarettes do not contribute to health.

Cost-Effective
That the electronic cigarette costs less is also a factor that can aid its popularity. Many websites offer these devices at a starting price of about 40 pounds. Cartridge refills are available for less than a pound. This is far lesser than monthly expenditure on actual cigarettes.

Do Electronic Cigarettes cause Cancer?
People often worry whether Electronic Cigarettes give rise to cancer. In electronic cigarette nicotine, flavourings and many other harmful chemicals are used that may have cancerous effects on the body. However, carcinogenic electronic cigarette health risks have not been proved by any study.

Electronic Cigarette Risks for Heart
Electronic cigarette cartridges contain nicotine which can cause heart ailments. Cartridges containing even traces of nicotine can be risky for the health of your heart. The risk can be reduced only by using Electronic Cigarette no nicotine cartridges.

Is Electronic Cigarette Good For You?
It is a fact that no electronic cigarette company is endorsed by any health organization. This is the reason why there has been an effective Electronic Cigarette ban in a number of countries like Canada. While Electronic Cigarettes are less dangerous compared to real cigarettes, they are still a threat to smokers. For an effective removal of smoking habit, it is best to give up smoking completely. It is best not to try to stop smoking with Electronic Cigarettes.

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

http://www.naturalmedicine.com/news/sur ... dangerous/

http://www.smokelessdelite.com/blog/ecigarettesdangers/

http://www.safecig.com/what-is-an-elect ... arette.php
The site owner Lukas said I could show you how to makes hundreds of dollars in your spare time like I do.
If you would like to get yours too, PM me and I WILL hook you up.

Super Moderator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 2:01 pm » by Spock

True Will, thanks for that - however compared to cigarettes, it is much better than all the crap in those.

I mean, if you're going to be a smoker, why not at least attempt to get away from actual "smoke", the stench and the additives.

Concerning nicotine, when I was in the hospital, they gave me nicotine patches to help with my need to drag my IV drip/monitor out to the parking lot to smoke, so, sometimes there is a "lesser evil".

Super Moderator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 2:02 pm » by Spock

BTW Will, I'm going to put your post in the first post of this thread.

Initiate

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 2:29 pm » by Umbrex

this is the first thread i read full & through on this forum.

i think next month ill be riding the volcano too.

i tried the supermarket ones and they actually gave me the longest period of not smoking since i started, but they break so fast.

think ill be going for the inferno, i would feel way to rediculous with the tank 2.0

maybe you should link them to this forum and ask for reimbursement xD

Super Moderator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 2:47 pm » by Spock

:flop:

Initiate

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 3:45 pm » by Flipper

While it is true there are safety and health concerns for the practice of vaping. I am not going to say that the practice of doing so may or may not be at a later time be linked with cancer. However as always other research projects that take place which does not receive the attention it deserves. Extensive research has found that a smoker by inhaling nicotine does in fact negate the risk of developing Parkinson,s disease. Due to the way nicotine interacts with the central nervous system receptors. Nicotine has also been proven to slow the advance of the symptoms of Parkinson's. It still amazes me the inherent with holding of evidence that points to a real health benefit because it doesn't suit the agenda of certain interests.

PreviousNext