Excess cola can cause super-sized muscle trouble

Master Conspirator

PostTue May 19, 2009 7:56 pm » by Drjones

"A steady, litres-per-day diet of colas can cause serious muscle problems, doctors warned in a study Tuesday."

"Excessive cola consumption can also lead to hypokalaemia, causing an adverse effect on vital muscle functions," he said in a statement."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090519/th ... 6016e.html

Master Conspirator

PostTue May 19, 2009 8:36 pm » by Cornbread714

drjones wrote:"A steady, litres-per-day diet of colas can cause serious muscle problems, doctors warned in a study Tuesday."

"Excessive cola consumption can also lead to hypokalaemia, causing an adverse effect on vital muscle functions," he said in a statement."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090519/th ... 6016e.html

Doc, you know I like you (in spite of my better judgment), and you know I agree with you about organic foods, etc...

but,:

WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH DISCLOSETV?
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Initiate

PostTue May 19, 2009 9:03 pm » by Crunchy

this belongs on this site
its the type of info that will not be covered in mainstream media
well it might get a small mention if that

disclose tv covers all types of info this would be under Science & Technology
so the only thing wrong with this is its in the wrong section

Master Conspirator

PostTue May 19, 2009 9:17 pm » by Cornbread714

crunchy wrote:this belongs on this site
its the type of info that will not be covered in mainstream media
well it might get a small mention if that

disclose tv covers all types of info this would be under Science & Technology
so the only thing wrong with this is its in the wrong section

I respect your statement, but I disagree.
It's no big deal, but Doc gets a little carried away and I really don't see that this deserves AN ENTIRE THREAD.

Writer

PostTue May 19, 2009 9:53 pm » by Arichkind

I would like to make a comment. I respect the individual who posted this subject and I can personally speak-to-topic. For ~ a decade I have experienced sometimes awful intermittent cramping in both my feet (different areas). My primary care physician shrugged off my complaint, stating that he had never heard of cramping essentially localized to the feet. I specifically asked him whether ingestion of 1-2 liters of diet soda/day could be the etiology of the cramping, as I had either read or heard about some woman who claimed that the cramping in her lower extremities resolved after ceasing to drink soda. I still cringe at his dismissive laugh. Because I was aware of potassium's vital role with respect to electrical conduction in the body's muscle cells, I requested that a level be obtained ( actually, I got a CBC and chemistry). All tests came back normal.

You're probably guessing where this is heading: yeah, I did attenuate my ingestion of soda for a short period of time and did experience a ~ moderate decrease in the cramping of my feet. The logical course of action would next be to cease ingestion of soda entirely. Well, I haven't been able to muster up the will power as-of-yet. I do ingest more tea now and try to advoid all aspartane (spelling correct?) products (I use Splenda) -- which is perhaps the source of the problem (or at least a r/o). And I now have sympathy (rather than empathy) for those individuals addicted to other substances (which I've not tried other than Communion wine way back).

I am wondering about other "case histories" -- particularly of females.

Master Conspirator

PostTue May 19, 2009 10:06 pm » by Cornbread714

arichkind wrote:I would like to make a comment. I respect the individual who posted this subject and I can personally speak-to-topic. For ~ a decade I have experienced sometimes awful intermittent cramping in both my feet (different areas). My primary care physician shrugged off my complaint, stating that he had never heard of cramping essentially localized to the feet. I specifically asked him whether ingestion of 1-2 liters of diet soda/day could be the etiology of the cramping, as I had either read or heard about some woman who claimed that the cramping in her lower extremities resolved after ceasing to drink soda. I still cringe at his dismissive laugh. Because I was aware of potassium's vital role with respect to electrical conduction in the body's muscle cells, I requested that a level be obtained ( actually, I got a CBC and chemistry). All tests came back normal.

You're probably guessing where this is heading: yeah, I did attenuate my ingestion of soda for a short period of time and did experience a ~ moderate decrease in the cramping of my feet. The logical course of action would next be to cease ingestion of soda entirely. Well, I haven't been able to muster up the will power as-of-yet. I do ingest more tea now and try to advoid all aspartane (spelling correct?) products (I use Splenda) -- which is perhaps the source of the problem (or at least a r/o). And I now have sympathy (rather than empathy) for those individuals addicted to other substances (which I've not tried other than Communion wine way back).

I am wondering about other "case histories" -- particularly of females.

With all due respect, there are plenty of alternative health sites, and if this topic had seemed truly outside the mainstream health news (and I'm sorry, but this was taken from the mass media), and if it seemed like there were a specific effort, for instance, to hush up the info, I would have no problem with it.

It just seemed like average findings from a normal study to me.

Initiate

PostWed May 20, 2009 6:37 am » by Mugenroshi8

I brought the skeptics in on this one, good luck fellas

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 20, 2009 8:09 am » by Drjones

Hey Cornbread,you made a good point....i've been posting health related issues for a while now and think it is time disclose had a health section of sorts.... :flop:
Anyway like a previous comment this belongs on disclose as this story i have not seen on the 8o'clock news have you... :oops:
Anyway i better get back to my cola now.. :lol:

Conspirator

PostWed May 20, 2009 10:50 am » by Clawspiracy

I jsut tried the natural Pepsi... Three major ingredients... Cane Sugar, Cola Extract, Carbonated Water... DAMN that shit is good!

But I limit my intake of Cola to less than 1 liter per week. Usually about half all around. But I do love the stuff.
It's a Clawspiracy...

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 20, 2009 11:08 am » by Drjones

clawspiracy wrote:I jsut tried the natural Pepsi... Three major ingredients... Cane Sugar, Cola Extract, Carbonated Water... DAMN that shit is good!

But I limit my intake of Cola to less than 1 liter per week. Usually about half all around. But I do love the stuff.

Many years ago pepsi was my favourite...over coke.
:oops:

Next