Exeptional Rocket Waves Destroy Sun Dog?

Conspirator

PostTue Feb 23, 2010 3:21 pm » by Nickelson

Amazing picture!

Big picture
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... on_big.jpg

Explanation:
What created those rocket waves, and why did they destroy that sun dog? Close inspection of the above image shows not only a rocket rising near the center, but unusual air ripples around it and a colorful sundog to the far right. The rocket, carrying the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), lifted off two weeks ago from Cape Canaveral, Florida, USA into a cold blue sky.

The SDO is designed to observe the Sun continuously over the next several years, exploring the Sun's atmosphere at high resolution and fast time scales.

The air ripples -- seen about one minute after launch -- were unexpected, as was the sudden disappearance of the sundog after the ripples passed.

Noticed and recorded by several onlookers, there has been much speculation about the origin of the ripples.

A leading hypothesis holds that the ripples resulted from a sonic boom created as the rocket broke the sound barrier, which then jumbled a thin layer of ice crystals that were aligned to create the sundog.

Lingering questions include why other rocket launches don't produce air ripples as noticeable, and why the ripples appeared more prominent above the rocket.

Source:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

So actually we can say we still don’t know what caused this phenomenon. Are there similar pictures out there from other rocket launches?

What do you guys think it could be?

Conspirator

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 4:10 pm » by Nickelson

And still science didn't come with a good answer or explanation.

I find it strange nobody here is curious on what made this happen.

I honestly haven't the slightest idea.
:headscratch:

Initiate

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 8:52 am » by Shadowkhas

Well, I haven't ever seen any other rocket launches that had rainbows and such near them...so it's tough to judge. It may only be readily noticeable in certain weather conditions. Definitely something to keep an eye on in future rocket launches, though!

Initiate

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 8:54 am » by Ordell

awesome picture :flop:
i accept no liability for the content of this text or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

Master Conspirator

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 9:00 am » by Lowsix

fuckin haarp.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

jetxvii

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 am » by jetxvii

LowSix wrote:fuckin haarp.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAA LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!