Fake meat: is science fiction on the verge of becoming fact?

Conspirator

PostSun Jun 24, 2012 3:26 pm » by One-23

The race to make fake meat just got interesting. Two scientists on opposite sides of the world both claim to be on the verge of serving up the first lab-grown hamburger – and saving the planet in the process. The new reality is so close, you can almost taste it.

As mission statements go, it takes some beating. Scrawled on a whiteboard are the words: "We will change how the Earth looks from space!" It surpasses "Don't be evil" (the motto of Google, just down the road), and in terms of hubris it trumps even that of Facebook (also just round the corner): "Move fast and break things!"

In this anonymous laboratory on a low-rise industrial estate in Menlo Park, 40km south of San Francisco, there is a whiff of revolution in the air. There is a whiff of madness, too, but after a few hours in the company of the man leading this intriguing Silicon Valley startup, one begins to wonder if it is the rest of the world that is insane.

Professor Patrick Brown could easily be taken for a deranged visionary. He is intense, driven and unfazed by critics and rivals. This 57-year-old ultra-lean, sandal-wearing, marathon-running vegan wants to stop the world eating meat. Not through persuasion or coercion, but by offering us carnivores something better for the same price or less.

The fake meat business has been around for decades, of course, but it has never really taken off. That is because the products out there, usually based on some sort of reconstituted soy or fungal gloop, taste as disgusting as they look. They are usually expensive as well.

But the meat-fakers say they are on the verge of a breakthrough, that there is a real possibility that a new era of fake meat – nutritious, cheap and indistinguishable from the real thing, made either of synthesised animal tissue or derived from plant material – may be upon us.

Read more http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... s-research

WELCOME TO THE D.D.C
DTV Doomtards Club

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 24, 2012 4:24 pm » by Slith

God forbid.

Canubis wrote:

u fell for my missle tow.....its just a pek..... im perma banned 3 times for fags.... so smooch! it

SMAK ME BITCH on the lips....

xmass is coming hard...

Conspirator

PostSun Jun 24, 2012 4:31 pm » by One-23

dlslith wrote:God forbid.

I know meat substitutes have have been around for eons but it's this statement that leaves an unsavory taste in my mouth

cheap and indistinguishable from the real thing, made either of synthesized animal tissue

WELCOME TO THE D.D.C
DTV Doomtards Club

Conspirator

PostSun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm » by Muchtyman

Yep , Meat can made from all sort of shit these days .

Japanese Make "Delicious", Nourishing Steaks From Human Faeces

http://www.dailytech.com/Japanese+Make+ ... e21932.htm

Initiate

PostSun Jun 24, 2012 6:42 pm » by Tonyw

I won't eat no Jap shit. The only place for shit is down the toilet. They can eat shit if they want to, It makes you think of becoming vegetarian. :vomit:
I am what i am.

War does not determine who is right, War determines who is left. [img]http://i47.tinypic.com/5aro28.gif[/img]

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm » by Kenbross

First fake meat, then ticks that make people allergic to meat...google "alpha gal syndrome." Note that Californians discuss the SE US as if every person who lives there is subhuman. Then note that the human guinea pigs for alpha-gal syndrome are all in SE US...
But ticks don't stay in one area only, but attach to animals that wander. Sometimes birds and sometimes pets too. When birds migrate, ticks can too. How many pets, do you suppose, have flown on airlines to Cali from SE US? To other countries from SE US?
How long before tickborne meat allergies spread to areas outside SE US?