Faster than light communication?

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 8:53 am » by Dukettt

Breaking the speed of light now that is a trick.
Now is it possible for information to travel faster than light? Most people would say ofcourse not, but think again...
Using the most basic method of communicating it should be possible, just a little bit of imagination needed.
Lets say your friend is one light year away and you need to message him. Using radio waves it would take a year to get the message across.
But what if you have a stick one lightyear long. Use that to knock the morse code to your friends door for example and the message arrives pretty much instantly instead of a year. Now you only need a stick that long or something that does the sticks job.
------------------------------
canubis wrote:
a hill goes up not digs itself into a grave newbie.. lol i made the word LOL in 95 on ms CHAT orels ill be saying ROFLMAO fkn n00b

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 am » by Tertiusgaudens

Haha, would also meed a year, for its also matter transmission...
Hope is the thing with feathers...
Emily Dickinson

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 9:24 am » by Dukettt

tertiusgaudens wrote:Haha, would also meed a year, for its also matter transmission...

Yes we debated about this with my friends yesterday but could not reach a conclusion...would you need to transmit matter if the other end is already there?
But the stick is moving about 10-20km/h for distance of 1 cm to reach the other end and knock the door. Would that take a year?
canubis wrote:
a hill goes up not digs itself into a grave newbie.. lol i made the word LOL in 95 on ms CHAT orels ill be saying ROFLMAO fkn n00b

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 am » by Tertiusgaudens

by htting the stick there is shock wave going through the stick, but not faster than light speed.

if you would send electricity trough it, it would also not be faster than light speed.

hitting the stik creating a shock wave is a mechanical thing thus having an inertial mass effect needing much more than light speed.
Hope is the thing with feathers...
Emily Dickinson

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 10:07 am » by Smokeydog

not gonna happen the way you suggest mate you would either have to make a mini worm hole or find away to tag them on to the particles cern fired if they confirm it worked in which case ur either gonna need alot of money or one big assed particle accelerator
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokeydogsmokey

When people are sat on something you want you make them an enemy

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 10:21 am » by Dukettt

Yes it would seem that interaction between atoms at such a huge distances means that it would take a lot longer than a year for message to get there (but arent most materials super-conductive at such a low temperatures as space, so maybe a year is enough, or does it have any effect??). It seems that if you move the stick sideways it takes even longer.
canubis wrote:

Super Moderator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 12:02 pm » by Spock

If computers can now be operated by thought patterns (which they can) it would make sense that the communication could be sent with the electrical impulses of the brain being the starting point of the communication.

The first trick is figuring out how to intelligently put these impulses into a cohesive sentence, then, editing out every other thought that has to do with eating pussy.

Initiate

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 12:05 pm » by Deuem

I would agree that hitting the stick would just cause a shock wave that would never even reach the other end and an electric signal would take a year to get there and a year to get back, but, here is a hypothetical thought for you.. What would happen if the stick was very strong and could not flex and you pushed or pulled it to tap out a code. The stick is there already. Would that work? :think: I would think the only time needed is the push pull time, since the trip has already been made by the stick. The only time required then, should be its movement :think: On one hand getting your stick to be stiff enough is one problem. The other is to get it there and keeping it stiff. So pushing or pulling your stick would be ok but I would stay away from electrical shocks......
Deuem :cheers:

Super Moderator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 pm » by Spock

The way faster than light communication is going to happen will not rely on speed at all, but quantum positioning of particles.

That science is still in its infancy, but I'm certain it will be almost fully understood eventually.

I believe there is an unknown science behind twin communication or how connections work between people. The silver cord, if you will. Maybe this is another possibility. I believe this communication happens today, but is not at all understood, harnessed or studiable.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 12:24 pm » by Dukettt

spock wrote:The way faster than light communication is going to happen will not rely on speed at all, but quantum positioning of particles.

That science is still in its infancy, but I'm certain it will be almost fully understood eventually.

I believe there is an unknown science behind twin communication or how connections work between people. The silver cord, if you will. Maybe this is another possibility. I believe this communication happens today, but is not at all understood, harnessed or studiable.

Ok lets dive deeper...
If telepathy exists then does it take a year for tought to be transmitted to a 1 lightyear distance?
Does telepathy work using quantum duality and as such could transmit info instantly? (if it exists)
Are we going to start creating huge brains in a tank as a communication devices for massive distances?
And really small ones for personal comm devices incase you dont want to wire up your own brains?
canubis wrote:

Next