Fired for refusing to hand over Facebook password

Super Moderator

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 10:19 pm » by domdabears

Kimberly Hester, a grade school teacher's aide in Michigan, was fired for refusing to hand over her Facebook password to her supervisors. Hester posted a picture of a co-workers' shoes and pants bunched around her ankles on Facebook in April 2011 with the caption, "Thinking of you." She posted the picture in jest, but a parent who's on her Facebook friend list saw the image and reported it to Frank Squires Elementary where Hester was employed, prompting the investigation.

Teachers have gotten in trouble for Facebook status messages before, but in Hester's case, it's her refusal to hand over her password that actually got her fired. One of the supervisors from the Lewis Cass Intermediate School District (ISD), the regional service center for education in Michigan, even wrote her a letter when she refused to give them her password for the third time. Part of the letter read: "... in the absence of you voluntarily granting Lewis Cass ISD administration access to you[r] Facebook page, we will assume the worst and act accordingly." Lewis Cass wanted to put Hester on a paid administrative leave before they fired her, but she chose to go on an unpaid leave because she believes she did nothing wrong. She plans to use the letter she received to sue the school district.

An increasing number of companies and schools have started asking employees and students for their Facebook passwords. The practice has been growing at such an alarming rate, that Facebook released its official stance on the issue, telling its users that they have the right not to comply with their employers' request. Several politicians including Michigan's own State Representatives Aric Nesbitt and Matt Lori have been pushing for bills that will make the breach of privacy an illegal practice. Unfortunately, it hasn't been going very well for them — the House of Representatives recently rejected a legislation that would protect your passwords from employers' prying eyes.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology- ... 05406.html
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 pm » by Mushroom

Guilty until proven innocent.

I would have fired her for adding a parent to her friend list. :D

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 pm » by Dagnamski

Erm
Quotey "Hester posted a picture of a co-workers' shoes and pants bunched around her ankles on Facebook in April 2011 with the caption, "Thinking of yous".

That seems perfectly reasonable behaviour. :lol:

Damn trolls!

no co-workers were harmed during this incident as she refused to give her holy password in. :banana:

The great party in the sky continues :sunny:
“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it”

>>>>>Image

Initiate

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 pm » by Scarecro

"... in the absence of you voluntarily granting Lewis Cass ISD administration access to you[r] Facebook page, we will assume the worst and act accordingly."

Give admin access to your facebook? So they are pissed she wouldn't friend them?

I must be reading this differently, I see nothing about them specifically asking for her password, they just want access to her FB page. Of course she has the right to refuse.

EDIT: I did read it wrong.
Last edited by Scarecro on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm » by Dagnamski

let the fear be with you :love:
“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it”

>>>>>Image

Super Moderator

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 11:22 pm » by domdabears

dagnamski wrote:let the fear be with you :love:

Drink it in.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 pm » by Eldorado

I am surprised they didnt even try to get the password from Facebook.....they would have given it up freely, as quickly as they gave up the other information freely.
“The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 03, 2012 4:35 am » by Mediasorcerer

facebook say its illegal to give there password to 3rd parties.
with the power of soul,anything is possible
with the power of you,anything that you wanna do

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 pm » by Ufosarus

anyone who has a facebook account sould be fired or at least given a good beating!

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 03, 2012 2:09 pm » by Flecktarn

all social sites like assbook and twater are the cause of more arguments ,than ever before ,people spend so much time telling everyone else such mundane things and idiots respond with like ,this is why the world sucks
ImageImage