Food Babe: The Beer Conspiracy...

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 12:34 pm » by Kinninigan

:o :look:

The Big Beer Coverup

Upload to Disclose.tv

Secrets Of Beer Exposed

Upload to Disclose.tv

Food Babe: Modern Beer Is Chemical Soup: (Full Interview)

Upload to Disclose.tv

What's in Your Beer? Fish Bladder and Antifreeze Ingredient?

June 11, 2014

Food blogger Vani Hari's husband's favorite drink is beer and, just in time for his birthday this week, she is launching an online petition to ask the two biggest producers of American beer to list all their ingredients and brewing methods.

Hari claims some beers contain additives like high-fructose corn syrup, stabilizers and artificial flavoring, which have been linked to obesity, allergies, hyperactivity and gastrointestinal problems. She also alleges that big brewers use unappetizing things like propylene glycol – a foaming ingredient found in airplane deicing liquid – and even use fish swim bladders during brewing for clarity.

"That was alarming to me," Hari, 35, of North Carolina, told ABC News. "I thought beer was just hops, water, yeast, malt and barley."

The fact is no one but the manufacturer – not even Hari – knows for sure what's in beer or what’s used to make it, because the federal government does not require companies to disclose their ingredients or brewing processes. Hari is on a mission to get more transparency in the beer industry.

Her point is that consumers just don't know how their food and drink is made or what they put into their bodies.

"I just want full disclosure," she said, "not to change labels and go through government labels -- just to disclose it online so everyone can see."

Now, she has targeted Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors, which are the two largest beer brewers in the United States, according to Millward Brown Optimor, a leading global research agency.

Both MillerCoors and Anheuser-Busch told ABC News that they were in full compliance with all federal and state labeling requirements.

An Anheuser-Busch spokesman told ABC News that it uses none of the ingredients cited by Hari in its "flagship brands," Budweiser and Bud Light.

Peter Marino, a spokesman for MillerCoors, told ABC News that its ingredients are "proprietary information."

"That being said, we are happy to provide allergen information, which, in our case, involves wheat," Marino said. "We do not use nuts or dairy in the brewing process. And we don't use fish bladders either."

But Hari argues that proprietary recipes shouldn’t trump transparency.

"Coca Cola has kept their secret formula under lock and key for years," she said. "However, Coca Cola also releases the full set of ingredients on their labels -- something beer manufacturers have kept hidden for years and our government has neglected to mandate."

The average American drinks about 21 gallons of beer annually, making it the third-most-popular drink in the United States, after soda and bottled water, according to a 2010 article in Advertising Age. Beer is still the most popular alcoholic beverage, a favorite among 36 percent of Americans, according to a 2013 Gallup Poll.

"In this new decade of information about food and what we are consuming, we don't know what is in the world's most popular drink," said Hari.

Hari, an activist known as the Food Babe, takes credit for two other consumer victories: getting Kraft to remove yellow dyes from its children's Mac & Cheese products; and urging Subway to get an ingredient used in yoga mats out of its bread.

"My husband loves beer and it's one of the things that he brings into the house, and I didn't know what was in it," Hari told ABC News. ""I am very meticulous about ingredients that I put in my family's bodies. So I started to investigate."

Hari claims that MillerCoors has admitted to using high-fructose corn syrup in several of their brands, and said some of their products may contain genetically modified corn because of its prevalence in the U.S., but the companies would not comment on these claims to ABC News.

She also noted that some other brewers darken their beers with caramel color, a compound that is under review by the FDA for potential health hazards.

The FDA is currently reviewing if there should be limits on these colorings in soft drinks.

Neither MillerCoors nor Anheuser-Busch would comment to ABC News on whether their products contain caramel coloring.

As for fish bladders, some beer and wine manufacturers extract and dry them to use as filters, to help rid the beverage of particles.

The powder, known as isinglass, has historically had wound-healing properties, according to an April article in Newsweek. But, as the article noted, it renders those beverages "drinkable but also unsuitable for vegetarians."

"Just like dairy manufacturers pump cows with antibiotics and growth hormones, the beer companies should be up front about their processing and disclose that they are using fish bladders," said Hari.

She also alleged that some beer makers use "chemically altered hop extract," known as tetrahops, to add a bitter flavor and give it a longer shelf life.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/food-babe- ... d=24085296

:peep:

Upload to Disclose.tv

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan
http://www.disclose.tv/user/kinninigan/

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 4:54 pm » by Thebluecanary

Nopenopenope. Not watching it, Kinn. Just reading her blog about beer made me not want to drink beer anymore. And I don't want to live in a world without me drinking beer, and neither does anyone who has to be around me.

Luckily, her blog lists some "safe" GMO free crap free beers, and luckily many of them are pretty easy to find where I live. My favorite beer, however, refuses to disclose their ingredients, and damn I miss it! Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 5:04 pm » by Kinninigan

Thebluecanary wrote:Nopenopenope. Not watching it, Kinn. Just reading her blog about beer made me not want to drink beer anymore. And I don't want to live in a world without me drinking beer, and neither does anyone who has to be around me.

Luckily, her blog lists some "safe" GMO free crap free beers, and luckily many of them are pretty easy to find where I live. My favorite beer, however, refuses to disclose their ingredients, and damn I miss it! Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Lets make some non-gmo prison hooch then :D

dis how we do it da hood yo!

Pruno made by Compton Crips

Upload to Disclose.tv

Lets stay in and drink toilet wine

Upload to Disclose.tv

BTW beer drinkers..Kin has coors light in the fridge and is still gonna drink it...while I watch this interview!

Upload to Disclose.tv

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan
http://www.disclose.tv/user/kinninigan/

Conspirator

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 3:24 am » by Thebluecanary

I draw the line at Pruno. That's not how we roll in my trailer park. Though a friend who did some state time tells me that the kids these days can do some amazing things with Jolly Ranchers that you wouldn't believe.

And yeah, I'm currently drinking ShockTop tall boys from the gas station and pretending that I don't know what "GMO" even means….
-----Christopher Hyatt

Super Moderator

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 3:39 am » by Slith

Kinninigan wrote:
BTW beer drinkers..Kin has coors light in the fridge and is still gonna drink it...while I watch this interview![/color]

So.... you're sayin......you have no alcohol in your fridge?

Conspirator

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 3:45 am » by Thebluecanary

Slith wrote:
Kinninigan wrote:
BTW beer drinkers..Kin has coors light in the fridge and is still gonna drink it...while I watch this interview![/color]

So.... you're sayin......you have no alcohol in your fridge?

HA!

At least it's not The Beast….or Beast Light….
-----Christopher Hyatt

Super Moderator

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 3:54 am » by Slith

Thebluecanary wrote:
HA!

At least it's not The Beast….or Beast Light….

Canadian beer's a little stronger. Coor's light, and Bud are brewed here as well. The alcohol content is higher though. Usually 4.5% to 5%.

My dad was military. He always laughed when he told me about the beer drinking contests between the U.S. guy's and the Canooks. It was always a slaughter. :alien51:

Conspirator

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 4:00 am » by Rich316

If you're alarmed by this, brew your own. I couldn't give a rats what was in it, I'll drink it regardless.
I won't watch the videos because they're probably alarmist, wrong, exagerrated and plain naive.

Conspirator

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 4:21 am » by RATRODROB

Rich316 wrote:If you're alarmed by this, brew your own. I couldn't give a rats what was in it, I'll drink it regardless.
I won't watch the videos because they're probably alarmist, wrong, exagerrated and plain naive.

Bang on Rich, I used to brew my own beers, still got the equipment, only thing is I used a shit load of sugar to get the alchohol content.
when I drink beer now its usually low carb, no sugar, its better if your diabetic.
I really miss brewing my own although I don't miss the bottling and sterilizing process.

RRR
The more people i meet, the more i like my dog

Conspirator

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 5:02 am » by Thebluecanary

Here in NC, craft beers tend to be stronger, things like Bud and Coors are lower alcohol content, though you can get the higher volume versions in some states. I had some craft beer stuff the other day (It was called #19 Prohibition Style Lager, not sure the brewery) that was like 9.8% or something…you just have to buy it at the special beer store, can't get it at the grocery store. And it all varies by state. I remember the first time I went to a state where you could buy actual liquor in the grocery store (in my state you have to go to ABC stores owned by the state) and I was like "THIS IS A MAGICAL PLACE I LIVE HERE NOW!" Keeping in mind that I live somewhere that I can't buy beer on Sunday until after 2pm…and up until about 5 years ago not at all. Some counties, you can't buy anything alcoholic at all, ever.

Rich and RRR…the gist of the blog (haven't watched the video) is that most American domestic commercial breweries are putting out garbage beer full of high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavorings, and GMO wheat. Lots of crap added after the brewing process that shouldn't be in beer, to cover the fact that what they're selling is basically cheap crappy vaguely beer flavored swill. Also, Budweiser and other big commercial breweries are buying up the names of small craft breweries that can't afford to compete with them, (Like BLUE MOON, which was my favorite beer for years) changing the formula to make it cheap crappy beer, keeping the craft name and craft price and selling it at a huge profit.

I've always wanted to try brewing my own. My dad and brother have dabbled in it. I'm so paranoid about doing it wrong and poisoning us though.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Next