For any guitar players...

Super Moderator

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 5:04 pm » by Spock

It kind of sucks Portnoy left Dream Theater - I always thought he and Petrucci were perfect with each other.

Conspirator

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 5:08 pm » by Rich316

Spock wrote:It kind of sucks Portnoy left Dream Theater - I always thought he and Petrucci were perfect with each other.

Yeah but they never last that long together... then it's off to take part in another journey... I see it as the only way they can stay sane.. a good thing really.

Super Moderator

PostSat Jun 29, 2013 2:44 am » by Spock

Just got this yesterday and LOVE IT!!!

It can control the EZDrummer software in Logic via midi, or through a PA system it has it's own bundle of GREAT sounding kits.

I got this for the house so we could practice here at low volume. Still have my loud amp at the practice room, but I like mellow jammin too and this makes it possible.

I've got a double kick peddle hooked up to the bass drum too.

Alesis MD8

Super Moderator

PostSat Jun 29, 2013 3:34 am » by Spock

yea, my son broke a stick on them today. They are pads, which are not made to beat as hard as drums - but for practice at low volume it's great. As well, they can be integrated into a real kit for triggers.

These also have real drum heads on them which is pretty cool.

Super Moderator

PostSat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 am » by Spock

I got mine from Sweetwater too. And not being a drummer I wasn't about to spend $4000 on a set of Roland. I could have gone up to the DM10 for $1,200, but again, this is for either my son or my drummer to have something to play in my house. Also great for recording ideas and keeping them on their own individual track. This particular set has just been discontinued but uses the same pads as the set above and below them, so I plan on adding another 2 cymbals and another tom eventually.

Also got it for $100 less than advertised. Usually I would be sort of sick with buyers remorse over this - but I can honestly say I'm as giddy as a school girl with this set, I have wanted this capability for years.

What does suck though is I moved my Pod HD500 2 feet to make room for the kit, and now the USB out doesn't work, and I could potentially spend $300 to fix a $500 unit - That is making me sick.

Super Moderator

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 3:01 am » by Spock

That's the thing - it's simple. I hook the USB port to the drum brain, and through MIDI it controls the sounds of EZDrummer which is in my DAW - Logic.

So - the sounds are real drums, they sound freaking great! Also, the drum sounds in the brain sound great as well.

I used EZDrummer sounds on this one https://soundcloud.com/lllspocklll/song3

Not sure what you will listen to this through, but sounds much better through bigger speakers than a laptop - still you get the idea

Super Moderator

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 11:49 am » by Spock

I have 2 Sonic Maximizers - 1 is a rack unit, but I don't use it anymore. I use a BBE Sonic Stomp in my effects chain and leave it on all the time.

In my recordings - I run direct through my computer, a Line 6 POD HD 500. But my real rig is a Marshall JVM 410 and 1960A cab. I have never run the Marshall direct, but the sound live is incredible, to me, there is no better sounding amp than a Marshall.

I have no idea how to mix, so all those full songs you listened to were for comprehension, writing, learning - though I did my best stab at mixing. What I do is write the song, then I have that recording to listen to so that the song and the changes become ingrained in my head. That way, when we practice loud, we all know where the changes are much quicker than not doing it that way.

Stoner Idea, that was a quickie. One of the guitar instructors, at the website I take lessons, will post a backing track then people will throw a solo idea down and send in just that track - then the instructor will put them all together and create a collaboration - it's just for fun practice.

Song 2 - that is interesting. I know there is something going on with the keyboards, but here's the thing, I can't hear it - because it's so low my speakers won't pick it up and I don't yet have a subwoofer. I'm glad you told me, but I never realized it. Hell, it may not even fit with the flow. My keyboardist was telling me about something low going on underneath, but as of yet, I'm clueless. Regardless, it's not there during practice and these aren't songs for publication - I would love to work with a producer though just to see what would happen to them with his/her input.

Song 3. I love it like that (not the mix though), it's sort of my take on a Stone Sour style of song - James Root style. Although I know I can't write like him, I write what comes out of me which has been described as Alex Lifeson writing songs for Tool. I can hear that, Alex was probably my biggest influence in my formative years - and Tool is my favorite band. So, not trying to emulate them at all - what comes out of me are songs that sound like that.

I still don't understand exactly what you mean by counterpoint, but if I'm sure that if not done tastefully it could destroy the flow of the song, unless you mean like a bridge or something - I guess I'll have to hear it to understand.

Anyway - put your money where your mouth is - get your stuff up on SoundCloud today!!! It's free!

Super Moderator

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 6:23 pm » by Spock

I'd love to hear your system - hook up with me on skype and you can show me cosmiccircle is my handle.

As far as being boring, i take exception to that - the space is left open for vocals. Now if it were an instrumental I wouldn't have structured the song that way, but there's no sense in overplaying when a vocal melody is to be added on top of a section either. Music is subject what works for some doesn't for others - for instance, I would NEVER incorporate Vincent Price House of Wax into anything, just doesn't seem like a good idea, but, I'm not everybody either.

One thing I want to purchase is EZ Mix - made by the same people that do EZ Drummer, I've heard excellent reviews about that software and though mixing is subjective and there is no "right" mix, the presets in EZ Mix sound incredible.

So - what's keeping you from posting your stuff today?

Super Moderator

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 pm » by Spock

I'm holding you down to it, finish it up this weekend and get it done. I'm anxious to hear what all your talk is about.

Super Moderator

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 9:49 pm » by Spock

Good deal man. You love doing it, so make it happen. I fell into kind of the same thing myself for many years> I didn't lose my wanting to do it - but I lost my desire, ambition, motivation - love for it. All because of a band break-up, pretty shitty huh? But believe it or not, that was more heartbreaking for me than I ever remember breaking up with a woman being. Then, after years I finally made the first effort, and after while it came back to me - the desire to progress and incorporate music back into my life - so happy I finally did that.

Especially being inspired by some people on here - mostly CornBread, but others as well.

PreviousNext