"Fourth Kind" studio settles over faked archive footage

Master Conspirator

PostFri Nov 13, 2009 11:55 pm » by Lowsix

The question has been asked here before..and Jet did some decent reporting on his findings (couldnt find alleged doctor)....

Were the reported News Archives of the interviews between
the Psychiatrist and her abducted patients all faked?

It appears so...

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) - Universal Pictures has agreed to pay $20,000 to the Alaska Press Club to settle complaints about fake news archives used to promote the movie "The Fourth Kind," the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported.

The Anchorage lawyer who negotiated the settlement for the Fairbanks paper and six other media outlets, John McKay, said the fake online stories undermined the credibility of the news organizations.

Universal created a series of fabricated online news articles to publicize the movie about a purported plague of alien abductions in Nome a decade ago. The articles posted appeared to be from real Alaska publications.

The articles included a fake obituary and news story about the death of a character in the movie, Dr. William Tyler, that supposedly were from the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

The settlement also requires Universal to remove the fake news articles from the Internet.

McKay said it didn't appear that the advertising campaign was cleared by attorneys at Universal Pictures, and he praised the company for responding quickly to the complaints.

The Alaska Press Club wasn't part of the complaint, but McKay suggested it receive settlement money as a compromise that would benefit Alaska journalism.

Messages left Thursday with two spokeswomen for Universal were not immediately returned.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Initiate

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 12:08 am » by Aquarius

Do you reckon we can sue Sony Dec 22nd, 2012?
God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh

Writer

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 12:25 am » by Wilter

Fucking movie pissssed me off. i was soo juiced to go see it cause i thought it was supposed to be a somewhat legit account of something that actually happened. not too long into the movie, it was pretty evident that it was all just a bunch of horseshit. i left feeling duped (and wanting to hit someone), kind of like every time i click on a new ufo video only to find it's just another fake that some jerk-off graphic student has tried to fool the world with (except in the case of youtube ufo videos, it's to be expected). anyway, i forget what i was talking about and whether i had a point or not, just in a bad mood i guess...
Beware... nothing kills a thread quicker than a post from me

Master Conspirator

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 am » by Cornbread714

wilter wrote:Fucking movie pissssed me off. i was soo juiced to go see it cause i thought it was supposed to be a somewhat legit account of something that actually happened. not too long into the movie, it was pretty evident that it was all just a bunch of horseshit. i left feeling duped (and wanting to hit someone), kind of like every time i click on a new ufo video only to find it's just another fake that some jerk-off graphic student has tried to fool the world with (except in the case of youtube ufo videos, it's to be expected). anyway, i forget what i was talking about and whether i had a point or not, just in a bad mood i guess...

Ha, you're pretty funny, Wilter. :flop:

Welcome.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

jetxvii

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 1:17 am » by jetxvii

well thanks for mentioning me six, I did some work. but realorfake took the cake for making sure it was fake. after he did that, I realized it was fake.

then when I went to see the movie (the 30 minutes, because little horrible KIDS were talking and I screamed shut the fuck up, then left) I realized the real footage was fake as hell, for being 10 years old the camera quality was great, the dates on the cameras seemed placed there. overall the 30 minutes that I saw before I left the theater after wanting to uppercut a punk ass, was pretty good, it deals with alot of "you have to believe this is real" which even if you like the Blair witch type movies is pretty decent. the Acting is pretty horrible on Milla's part but over all the 30 mins was good....

Super Moderator

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 1:53 am » by Spock

I always knew the story was fake from the get go, and was humored when I saw this article today at work. I don't get Alaskan news and never read any of the claims.

Still going to see the movie. I loved Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity too. These are my kind of horror movie. Never dug monster flicks or thrasher movies.

But on a separate note, there is a possible premise for this movie and being set in Alaska. I heard this years ago but haven't been able to look anything up on it.

Evidently there was a small native village that trackers (or hunters or some people regardless) frequented. They were a mixture of natives and other people - small village.

At some point people went to the village only to find it completely void of human life. Everything was in place. There was no sign of struggle, and the dogs were still chained outside, dead and frozen. The human population just was not there - and for no striking reason.

So I figured when this movie came out, it was an updated version of that urban legend, which I'm sure it is. But then the studios blew it up with viral marketing.

Can't wait to watch it myself.

Super Moderator

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 1:55 am » by -Marduk-

Alien abduction flick The Fourth Kind is dangerous

The Fourth Kind links the widely recognised phenomenon of sleep paralysis with the purely fictional idea of alien abduction.

The Fourth Kind is, in so many ways, a really awful film. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi and released in the UK over the weekend, it purports to be a dramatic reconstruction of events that took place in the city of Nome, Alaska, involving the disappearance of local residents. If you were to accept this film at face value, you would be left in no doubt whatsoever that these disappearances were the result of “close encounters of the fourth kind” – abduction by aliens. The film employs several far-from-subtle techniques in an attempt to convince viewers that what they are watching is based entirely upon documented evidence. Both the trailer and the film itself open with an assurance to that effect, direct to camera, from the film's star:

“I am actress Milla Jovovich and I will be portraying Dr Abigail Tyler. This film is a dramatisation of events that occurred October 2000. Every scene in this movie is supported by archive footage. Some of what you are about to see is extremely disturbing.”

At least the latter statement is accurate, although not for the reasons intended by the filmmakers.

Both trailer and film frequently cut between allegedly real footage of hypnotic regression sessions carried out by psychologist Dr Tyler on her patients and dramatic reconstructions of these same sessions, sometimes employing a split-screen technique to show both simultaneously to “prove” that the reconstructions are 100% accurate. This approach seems to have backfired badly on the filmmakers as most reviews of the film are highly critical of this unconvincing “archive footage”.

Kyle Hopkins wrote an excellent piece for the Anchorage Daily News debunking the movie. He conceded that there is a long history of disappearances and suspicious deaths in Nome. They have been investigated by the FBI who “mostly blamed alcohol and the cruel Alaska winter”.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/ ... -paralysis
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Initiate

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 11:35 am » by Wompasdub

I saw this movie the other day at the theater. I am pretty sure the whole thing is fake. Either way it was entertaining and still a bit creepy.

Initiate

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 1:46 pm » by Bladerunner

Its a hyped up film to get bums on seats, smattered with some truth, purely and simple as that.
Perhaps the first and one of the best abduction stories comes from Betty and Barney 1961.
A book and a tv film 'The Interrupted Journey', 'The ufo incident' (not so dramatic) followed this of course.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Conspirator

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 pm » by kentrb

the 4 th kind

oops

peace

go to ov guide

Next