fruit and veg is the secret to a good life

Super Moderator

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 7:20 pm » by Spock

Cool. Take a pic of those starfish.

We opted to skip church this morning and work in the yard since that terrible weather rolled through. But, man was it ever enjoyable. Got to do some freelance work now - uuuuugh.

Initiate

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 7:40 pm » by G3n3sis

Great thread, its true. Reading through journals, you find that a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals from every colour of vegetable and fruit will give you the best chance of a life of good health. Imagine what that diet looks like, its full of colour, is aesthetically pleasing and is like a party in your mouth - thats how food should be. Its supposed to enrich your life, not make you feel terrible like most processed food. The world needs a reformation of food culture and cultivation. A revolution in food means a revolution in consciousness. Its true that the food that you put in your body has a huge affect on your cognitive ability and emotional health. Dare I suggest its also the secret to long life? Makes sense doesn't it.
"The Sign of an Educated Mind is that, Which can Entertain a Notion or Idea Without Accepting it"

Initiate

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 pm » by Ishumble

I believe the secret to a good life is a healthy spirit, mind,and body. If one(spirit,mind or body) is sick or diseased,they are all off(varying degrees). I believe in the natural way of life, instead of a pill find a homeopathic cure.Pills usually manage symptoms,naturally occuring substances for sickness,and disease,will cure them,and eliminate recurrence. When I am stressed,I take off and go to the beach, and relax, not the doctor. When I get a bad cold or flu,I take,extra vit c,and zinc,multivitamins,stay hydrated,each chicken soup,steamy showers,and pump up my immune system.Sometimes you need to see a doctor,but I don't believe nearly as much as we do.

Life is a balance.Choose your battles wisely,eat right,get plenty of rest, play,and pray.
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Initiate

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 8:24 pm » by Neilglfc

I caught the end of a discussion the other day on tv about Asian vegetables at a fruit an veg Market. There was a certain vegetable that caught my eye and unfortunately due to the noise of my kids I missed what it was called. It was very similar to a cucumber only it's outer skin was bumpy. I just managed to catch that this was very good for diabetes. Not even sure if you ate it or made a tea with it. Anyone ?? Can you help

Still have an autoimmune illness but pine needle and Rose hip tea have kept me cold and flu free for over a year
****** " From Smash Get Mash " ******

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 8:57 pm » by SamueltheLion

bleever wrote:
drjones wrote:Sounds simple, but how many of us actually live like this ? Apart from me and i am ALWAYS testifying to the amazing benefits of fresh fruits and vegetables and juices, preferably organic. :wink:

Smoking, drinking teens are the unhappiest of all.... and fruit and veg is the secret to a good life
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z1oA6FWpeo :rtft:
Teenagers who smoke, drink alcohol and eat junk food are significantly more likely to be unhappy than their clean- living counterparts, a study has found.

Yes, fruit and veggies are great. I go to the Farmers market, or a place called Jon's market almost everyday. I also, go to a place called Mitsuwa, and get a lot of Japanese food. Right now I am into natto and ume...all things fermented and pickled. Mitsuwa market has the best shitake mushroom selection at the best prices. Yesterday, I boiled shitake mushrooms in a bonito broth and made a very pungent tea, it was amazing! On top of all this I am very big into fresh herbs and use them daily. Also, has anyone here got into "black garlic"? Man, I have been using this ingredient in a lot of dishes, mmmmm...good stuff...oh and you know me, i pray a lot too....

i know this is immature but i always thought shitake mushrooms...

shit ache ?

lol

:cheers:
Your faith will make you whole

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 8:58 pm » by Richc

neilglfc wrote:I caught the end of a discussion the other day on tv about Asian vegetables at a fruit an veg Market. There was a certain vegetable that caught my eye and unfortunately due to the noise of my kids I missed what it was called. It was very similar to a cucumber only it's outer skin was bumpy. I just managed to catch that this was very good for diabetes. Not even sure if you ate it or made a tea with it. Anyone ?? Can you help

Still have an autoimmune illness but pine needle and Rose hip tea have kept me cold and flu free for over a year

Bitter Gourd ( Bitter Melon ) .?

RIK
"Theres A Storm Coming!"

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 9:11 pm » by SamueltheLion

maybe this is ridiculous but:

aubergines???
http://www.cepolina.com/photo/food/vegetables/vegetables_mix/4/aubergine.jpg

like cucumbers, but not cucumbers! (magic)
Your faith will make you whole

Master Conspirator

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 pm » by Drjones

samuelthemule wrote:
drjones wrote:Sounds simple, but how many of us actually live like this ? Apart from me and i am ALWAYS testifying to the amazing benefits of fresh fruits and vegetables and juices, preferably organic. :wink:

Smoking, drinking teens are the unhappiest of all.... and fruit and veg is the secret to a good life
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z1oA6FWpeo :rtft:
Teenagers who smoke, drink alcohol and eat junk food are significantly more likely to be unhappy than their clean- living counterparts, a study has found.

yeah, it really is that simple, thanks for the thread.

I do eat pretty healthily, but I KNOW drinking milk & eating certain foods is bad for me,
making the switch from eating certain foods out of habit is hard though, you got any advice Doc?

I also believe we can all become intolerant to certain foods after eating/drinking too much of them, the body just says: hey, hold on a second, stop eating so much of that! and gives you visible signs via a bad reaction.

Hi mate, good to see you. Yes you are right, in my understanding you definetely do become intolerant to foods if you eat them regularly, eating them in above normal amounts normally provokes this response, so what does being intolerant to a food mean, well it reduces immune system function, sure you won't die but it's something that is to be mindful of, for instance for me, lately because of alot of my sporting endeavours i have been eating ALOT of dates, i have been doing so over the last few months, i've developed a sure reaction to eating dates now that i did not have in the beginning, runny nose being one. So i'll lay off the dates for a bit. Watch out for sneezing after food, the runny nose and watery eyes.

As for switching foods, you can do this pretty easilly, some are harder than others to give up. I gave up bread overnight with no problems, i'm still amazed to this day how easy that was but more importantly the digestive benefits i have received and i am sure other positives. There are ALWAYS other choices to make, i would avoid all dairy and wheat and refined sugars, artificial sweetners and gmo's. A little bit occasionally, no big problems, a little bit done everyday, not good.

Master Conspirator

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 pm » by Drjones

baboogdi wrote:Good advice. I think we would all find that most of our health troubles are directly caused by the stuff we consume. I suggest you all do some reading about cooking oils. I've heard them referred to as 'engineered oils'. Johanna Budwig, the late cancer guru believed that these oils could not be used by the body and were the root of many serious, even fatal, diseases.

It is my understanding that ONLY coconut oil should be used for cooking. I think avocado oil is also permissable, that is if you believe in cooking your food in the first place, which i think is not necessary. I prefer to steam or boil. :)

Master Conspirator

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 9:41 pm » by Drjones

truthseeker2k11 wrote:Good day Jonsey.

You nailed it...

My ancient Chinese Secret...

Acquire a cheap juicer. If you know you're wealthy, acquire a whisper quiet one 'cause, god, the twenty dollar one I bought sounds like a small engine aircraft. lolz

COMBINE

4 Okanagan apples
2 Celery
2 Carrots

I did this for a few months several years ago when I wanted to feel better, and I truly believe in the power of vitamins now.

Vitamin levels in fruits and veggies will have higher concentrations in those which come to your table faster. This is one good reason to support the hundred mile diet which, as the name suggests, that you consume foods locally grown.

Awesome, me too mate. Since my juicing revolution i've never looked back and i've never looked or felt better !! :flop:

PreviousNext