Fukushima radioactive water leak an 'emergency'

Conspirator

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 2:17 am » by Malogg

Fukushima radioactive water leak an 'emergency'

Japan's nuclear watchdog has said the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is facing a new "emergency" caused by a build-up of radioactive groundwater.

The crippled Fukushima plant has suffered water leaks and power cuts in recent months

A barrier built to contain the water has already been breached, the Nuclear Regulatory Authority warned.

This means the amount of contaminated water seeping into the Pacific Ocean could accelerate rapidly, it said.

There has been spate of water leaks and power failures at the plant, devastated by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Its operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco), has been criticised heavily for its lack of transparency over the leaks.

'Weak sense of crisis'

Tepco admitted for the first time last month that radioactive groundwater had breached an underground barrier and been leaking into the sea, but said it was taking steps to prevent it.

However, the head of a Nuclear Regulatory Authority task force, Shinji Kinjo, told the Reuters news agency on Monday that the countermeasures were only a temporary solution.

Tepco's "sense of crisis is weak," Mr Kinjo said. "This is why you can't just leave it up to Tepco alone"

"Right now, we have an emergency," he added.

If the underground barrier is breached, the watchdog warns, the water could start to seep through shallower areas of earth.

Once it reaches the surface, it could start to flow "extremely fast", says Mr Kinjo.

Contaminated water could rise to the ground's surface within three weeks, the Asahi newspaper predicted on Saturday.

The contaminated water is thought to have come from the 400 tonnes of groundwater pumped into the plant every day to cool the reactors.

Tepco 'in trouble'

Tepco admitted on Friday that a cumulative 20 trillion to 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium may have leaked into the sea since the disaster.

It has been clear for months now that the operators of the Fukushima plant are in deep trouble, says the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes.

The only course of action, he continues, is to pump water out. But this has to be stored, and more than 1,000 giant holding tanks surrounding the plant are nearly all full, he adds.

Tepco said on Monday it plans to start pumping out a further 100 tonnes of groundwater a day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23578859

In 3 days time they are gonna release the radio active soup into the ocean if they do not find a solution.

There is none is there?

HAHA Image

Super Moderator

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 am » by Slith

:nails:

I can only imagine the damage to the marine environment, let alone the rest of us

I'm just here for the popcorn Image

Conspirator

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 2:43 am » by Malogg

Slith wrote::nails:

I can only imagine the damage to the marine environment, let alone the rest of us

Fukushima radioactive groundwater leak an ‘emergency’ – Japan’s nuclear watchdog

This aerial view shows Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant at Okuma town in Fukushima prefecture (AFP Photo)

Embattled Fukushima operator Tepco has been accused of a “weak sense of crisis”, as its failing battle to prevent radioactive water from seeping into the seawater near the plant has become an “emergency”, according to the country’s nuclear watchdog.

“You can't just leave it [disposing of radioactive waste at the plant] up to Tepco," Shinji Kinjo, head of a Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NRA) told Reuters. "Right now, we have an emergency."

Daily, 400 tons of groundwater percolates into the basements of the plant, which was decimated by the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in March 2011. The seepage mixes with water used to cool down the damaged reactors, before accumulating, and escaping out into the Pacific Ocean.

For the past two years, Tepco claimed that it managed to siphon off the excess water into specially built storage tanks, but late last month admitted that toxic water was not contained.

The energy company, which is under financial pressure after being handed an $11 billion clean-up bill for Fukushima, has simultaneously hardened the earth around the plant with a special chemical, creating an impenetrable barrier on the side of the plant adjacent to the ocean.

But the shell is not complete: the technique only works 1.8 meters below the ground and further down.

So, water continues to build up inside the plant vaults, and will eventually reach the unprotected subsoil and topsoil, as more water goes in each day than is pumped out.

"If you build a wall, of course the water is going to accumulate there. And there is no other way for the water to go but up or sideways and eventually lead to the ocean," Masashi Goto, a nuclear engineer who has worked at several Tepco plants, told Reuters. "So now, the question is how long do we have?"

Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported that the toxic water could begin spilling over within three weeks.

Kinjo refused to speculate about the exact timing, but said that any radioactive water that escapes that way “will flow extremely fast”.

Tepco is constructing a bypass that should decrease the groundwater inflows into the plant.

It has also promised to begin pumping enough radioactive seepage by the end of the week to stop the water level from rising. But the company faces limitations, as its radioactive liquid storage tanks are 85 percent full, and it has no clear plans to construct more, or to turn the current makeshift facilities into permanent ones.

“New measures are needed to stop the water from flowing into the sea," emphasized Kinjo, who accused the energy giant of failing to implement long-term solutions for a crisis that has been going on for more than two years.

The impact of the radioactive water that has and will be released into the Pacific is hard to estimate, as Tepco has been slow to conduct studies and reluctant to release results to the public.

Last week, the company announced that it tested the release of radioactive isotope tritium, and said that it was within the legal limit. It now plans to test the sea water for cesium and strontium, which are considered much more dangerous for humans and the environment.

http://rt.com/news/fukushima-emergency- ... water-073/

Wearesof@cked.com
HAHA Image

Conspirator

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 3:13 am » by Opalserpent

I'm going to miss sea food and non nuclear fallout rain. I'm spewing it's already here in Australia.

Sure you's are breathing in all the hot particles in the northern hemisphere but now we got
nuclear sea water coming our way here in Australia.
Which I guess turns to rain and falls on us. So either way we get to breathe it in too.
I don't want hot particle lung biscuits just the ones from my billy. :nails:
Live by the Terror, Die by the Terror.

Conspirator

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 3:43 am » by Malogg

Malogg wrote:
A solution.

There is none is there?

Yeap sort of

"Plant a lot of hemp in the land of Fukushima. Hemp's vibration has the potentiality to purify the contaminated environment made by radiation." ~ Dr. Masaru Emoto Graphic source: Rawforbeauty.com http://www.naturalnews.com/hemp.html

:flop:
HAHA Image

Conspirator

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 4:03 am » by Opalserpent

I think Dr Masaru Emoto just made my day, good one mallog.
Live by the Terror, Die by the Terror.

Conspirator

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 5:03 am » by RATRODROB

Opalserpent wrote:I'm going to miss sea food and non nuclear fallout rain. I'm spewing it's already here in Australia.

Sure you's are breathing in all the hot particles in the northern hemisphere but now we got
nuclear sea water coming our way here in Australia.
Which I guess turns to rain and falls on us. So either way we get to breathe it in too.
I don't want hot particle lung biscuits just the ones from my billy. :nails:

Haha that's fair enough
BTW, im down south, Melbourne way,and if your up nth you will get the fallout before me, so , .....um.....I were just thinkin............................................................................................................................
can I use you as a sort of fallout indicator, like if your hair starts fallin out and shit, could you give me a bell so I know to get the fck out, haha :lol: ............just kiddin.

seriously though, I cant believe that there are people out there who still promote this crap. (nuclear energy)
correct me if im wrong but I think it were DICK SMITH who said just the other day that he were all for nuclear power, WTF, I aint buyin his peanut fckn butter no more. :flop:

RRR
The more people i meet, the more i like my dog

Conspirator

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 pm » by Malogg

Radioactive water overruns Fukushima barrier - TEPCO
An aerial view shows workers wearing protective suits and masks work at a construction site (C) of the shore barrier to stop radioactive water from leaking into the sea at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant on August 9, 2013. (Reuters/Kyodo)

Contaminated groundwater accumulating under the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant has risen 60cm above the protective barrier, and is now freely leaking into the Pacific Ocean, the plant’s operator TEPCO has admitted.

Follow RT’s LIVE UPDATES on Fukushima leak emergency

The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), which is responsible for decommissioning the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, on Saturday said the protective barriers that were installed to prevent the flow of toxic water into the ocean are no longer coping with the groundwater levels, Itar-Tass reports.

The contaminated groundwater, which mixes with radioactive leaks seeping out of the plant, has already risen to 60cm above the barriers – the fact which TEPCO calls a major cause of the massive daily leak of toxic substances.

Earlier on Friday, the company announced it started pumping out contaminated groundwater from under Fukushima, and managed to pump out 13 tons of water in six hours on Friday. TEPCO also said it plans to boost the pumped-out amount to some 100 tons a day with the help of a special system, which will be completed by mid-August. This will be enough to seal off most of the ongoing ocean contamination, according to TEPCO’s estimates.

However, Japan’s Ministry of Industry has recently estimated that some 300 tons of contaminated groundwater have been flowing into the ocean daily ever since the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami that triggered the disaster.

TEPCO also promised it will urgently reinforce the protective shields to keep radioactive leaks at bay. The company has repeatedly complained it is running out of space and has had to resort to pumping water into hastily-built tanks of questionable reliability, as more than 20,000 tons of water with high levels of radioactive substances has accumulated in the plant’s drainage system.

Water samples recently taken at an underground passage below the Fukushima nuclear plant showed extreme levels of radiation comparable to those taken immediately after the March 2011 catastrophe. The tested water, which had been mixing with ground water and flowing into the ocean, contained 2.35 billion Becquerels of cesium per liter – some 16 million times above the limit.

http://rt.com/news/fukushima-water-overrun-barrier-335/
HAHA Image

Super Moderator

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 6:43 pm » by The57ironman

.....you can educate the ignorant...but there's no fk'n helping the stupid.

Conspirator

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 11:55 pm » by Malogg

TOOOOOOOOFKNLATE.COM

TV: Very likely some of Fukushima’s melted cores have moved into the earth — “It’s beyond containment right now” (VIDEO)

http://enenews.com/tv-very-likely-that- ... -now-video

Upload to Disclose.tv

HAHA Image