Generation me students have less empathy than 20 years ago

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 4805
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:27 am

PostSun May 30, 2010 5:08 pm » by sockpuppet


ilef6f wrote:I've always considered baby boomers to be the me generation. They are obviously the the most selfish, whiny, wanna-be, hypocritical bitches of all time. Hell, they practically gave birth to materialism. I would almost bet they're the kind of people that would oppose a war, then turn around and profit from it.?



Too Old

I am too old
to learn the names
of the new killers
This one here
looks tired and attractive
devoted, professorial
He looks a lot like me
when I was teaching
a radical form of Buddhism
to the hopelessly insane
In the name of the old
high magic
he commands
families to be burned alive
and children mutilated
He probably knows
a song or two that I wrote
All of them
all the bloody hand bathers
and the chewers of entrails
and the scalp peelers
they all danced
to the music of the Beatles
they worshipped Bob Dylan
Dear friends
there are very few of us left
silenced
trembling all the time
hidden among the blood-
stunned fanatics
as we witness to each other
the old atrocity
the old obsolete atrocity

-Leonard Cohen
Skype: nnboogies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 3143
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:10 pm
Location: Neutral Zone

PostSun May 30, 2010 5:20 pm » by Svaha


General speaking :
There is a 'gadget' generation that is pure materialistic, but there are already two generations that show that the direction is changed, the youngest have capacities that show the use of two brain halves, very intelligent / very creative.
True, many of them are still destroyed by our education system but it is only a matter of time.
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

jetxvii

PostSun May 30, 2010 8:52 pm » by jetxvii


spock wrote:
mep630 wrote:This was all done on purpose, and is the product of social engineering from the elite.



The article really didn't surprise me at all, we've watched it happen. I honestly think it started with MTV, then violent video games, and the online social aspect of it. The ingredients that make a generation of narcissist. Girls are just as bad as guys too. But everything changed with MTV and video games.


and when you were a young fella, did you have your father or some older work mate say "turn off that damn rock music you hippy!!!" or "cut your hair you damn hippy"...

I really think it is that you are getting older and are seemingly critical of the new generation because it seems different from when you are a kid. so while it would be very easy to blame MTV Which I don't EVER watch, or Violent Video games. let's remember the bands KISS, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix that made those parents children rebel and make their parents question their future and that generations certainty, or lets remember the violence by Colosseum, gangs, schoolyards, movies, world war 1, 2 , Vietnam, Korea, gulf war... all these things were out before MTV and Violent Video games...

but then again sometimes it is easier to recognize you are getting older and your replacement is out there somewhere, whether you found them or not. it is also easy to follow in "your" parents foot steps and say "turn off that Violent video game you freak." to parellel your parents saying "turn off that horrible music you Damn Hippy."

so in essence there is nothing wrong with the new generation, and to call it the "me" generation is very biased and also a very specific statement for a very general study, for a world that is being created by the older generation and if what this article says is true then who is to blame for making these individuals "non empathetic"? if it is considered a bad thing?

Before video games there was violence, before MTV there was Kiss or Led Zeppelin, Before Internet social Sites, there were malted milk shops where the cliques would still hang out with their cliques of empathetic persons, while venturing out to converse with someone outside of your clique ends up in uncomfortable non empathy.

which makes me wonder if they took any of this into consideration while performing these studies..

I know someone mentioned that "they protested and cared about everything back in the day" or something to that effect... well actually it was allreadydead, I ask you allreadydead have you taken a look outside? we have green peace, Anti tax movement, honesty tax movement, anti-zion movement, anti oil movements, PETA, 9/11 truth movement, we are change, Freeman perspective etc... etc.... I am going to have to say there is alot more movements today that are concerned with world problems than their was in the early drug revolution days, and honestly that is why I think this article is Pseudo-science BS...

if anything I think the Empathy is shifting towards rational and directed empathy / mixed with the usual College Frat ego stupidity, which is also why I am glad they decided to do this with college kids. When you go to college ask yourself if you hung with everyone or if you hung with a certain crowd or people, then ask yourself if that means you are non empathetic or just a stupid biased college kid with shared ideas and non for your own.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Scotland

PostSun May 30, 2010 9:34 pm » by Allreadydead


jetxvii wrote:
spock wrote:
mep630 wrote:This was all done on purpose, and is the product of social engineering from the elite.



The article really didn't surprise me at all, we've watched it happen. I honestly think it started with MTV, then violent video games, and the online social aspect of it. The ingredients that make a generation of narcissist. Girls are just as bad as guys too. But everything changed with MTV and video games.


and when you were a young fella, did you have your father or some older work mate say "turn off that damn rock music you hippy!!!" or "cut your hair you damn hippy"...

I really think it is that you are getting older and are seemingly critical of the new generation because it seems different from when you are a kid. so while it would be very easy to blame MTV Which I don't EVER watch, or Violent Video games. let's remember the bands KISS, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix that made those parents children rebel and make their parents question their future and that generations certainty, or lets remember the violence by Colosseum, gangs, schoolyards, movies, world war 1, 2 , Vietnam, Korea, gulf war... all these things were out before MTV and Violent Video games...

but then again sometimes it is easier to recognize you are getting older and your replacement is out there somewhere, whether you found them or not. it is also easy to follow in "your" parents foot steps and say "turn off that Violent video game you freak." to parellel your parents saying "turn off that horrible music you Damn Hippy."

so in essence there is nothing wrong with the new generation, and to call it the "me" generation is very biased and also a very specific statement for a very general study, for a world that is being created by the older generation and if what this article says is true then who is to blame for making these individuals "non empathetic"? if it is considered a bad thing?

Before video games there was violence, before MTV there was Kiss or Led Zeppelin, Before Internet social Sites, there were malted milk shops where the cliques would still hang out with their cliques of empathetic persons, while venturing out to converse with someone outside of your clique ends up in uncomfortable non empathy.

which makes me wonder if they took any of this into consideration while performing these studies..

I know someone mentioned that "they protested and cared about everything back in the day" or something to that effect... well actually it was allreadydead, I ask you allreadydead have you taken a look outside? we have green peace, Anti tax movement, honesty tax movement, anti-zion movement, anti oil movements, PETA, 9/11 truth movement, we are change, Freeman perspective etc... etc.... I am going to have to say there is alot more movements today that are concerned with world problems than their was in the early drug revolution days, and honestly that is why I think this article is Pseudo-science BS...

if anything I think the Empathy is shifting towards rational and directed empathy / mixed with the usual College Frat ego stupidity, which is also why I am glad they decided to do this with college kids. When you go to college ask yourself if you hung with everyone or if you hung with a certain crowd or people, then ask yourself if that means you are non empathetic or just a stupid biased college kid with shared ideas and non for your own.


Yes I have taken a look outside, we (as students) protested against what we thought was wrong, laws, idea's etc. and I did not say that some of the younger generation was not doing that today - what I did say was maybe the younger generation sitting in front of their computers was missing out on forming real freindships because of their life-styles - and it was a question to answer - not an attack upon the youth mindset of today.

People are quick to dismiss the early hippie culture of the sixties and seventies, but we fought and tried to change the world for the better - we wore flowers and preached love for everyone and was met with violence, in most cases, and the movement died on it's feet, except for a few aging hippies like myself.

I admire the youth of today, for it's frankness, it's ability to see someone as a person, it's concern for the planet and it's people - In my day people openly spoke and supported, racism, they called other people 'nigers' and 'rag-heads' etc. we fought to change that, to get people accepted for what they were - never mind the colour or religion.

If that was 'Pseudo-science BS' then I practised it, because even today, I will not judge someone on their colour, race or religion - I will accept them as another human and respect that.
Image

Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 15836
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:12 pm

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:19 pm » by Spock


jetxvii wrote:and when you were a young fella, did you have your father or some older work mate say "turn off that damn rock music you hippy!!!" or "cut your hair you damn hippy"...


HAHAHAHA. That's good. I knew I was going to be nailed on that because I didn't make myself clearer. And yea - I thought about the music aspect of it as well.

What I meant by MTV was, hell, they don't even show videos on it but 35% of the time. And yes, I was glued to MTV for years when it first came out. The the "Real Life" shit started airing and it turned into "Yo MTV Sucks".

Essentially, what the viewers were being bombarded with were kids in real life situations, making decisions that would grave impacts their life on TV, without the moderation of an adult, and little by little, like a virus, with the full support of the network, it validated teen angst and gangsta shit as socially viable and respectful ideals in the real world. Up until that point, people usually grew up and out of that frame of mind.

Yes, I'm getting older. I'm 42, and up until a few years ago, I was cool as fuck, now I'm having to pay for college for my kids that think they are cool as fuck, and they don't have a gotdamn clue, even though they'll readily tell me they are smarter then any of us put together.

Some other cool people are Robert Plant, David Gilmore, Geoff Tate, Alex Lifeson (my fave) and others. All people that used to be cool as fuck - and still are in my mind.

One day Jet, Billy Joe from Green Day is going to be bitching about the youth, and you will too.

I liked your point. You understand.

jetxvii

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:33 pm » by jetxvii


allreadydead wrote:
Yes I have taken a look outside, we (as students) protested against what we thought was wrong, laws, idea's etc. and I did not say that some of the younger generation was not doing that today - what I did say was maybe the younger generation sitting in front of their computers was missing out on forming real freindships because of their life-styles - and it was a question to answer - not an attack upon the youth mindset of today.

People are quick to dismiss the early hippie culture of the sixties and seventies, but we fought and tried to change the world for the better - we wore flowers and preached love for everyone and was met with violence, in most cases, and the movement died on it's feet, except for a few aging hippies like myself.

I admire the youth of today, for it's frankness, it's ability to see someone as a person, it's concern for the planet and it's people - In my day people openly spoke and supported, racism, they called other people 'nigers' and 'rag-heads' etc. we fought to change that, to get people accepted for what they were - never mind the colour or religion.

If that was 'Pseudo-science BS' then I practised it, because even today, I will not judge someone on their colour, race or religion - I will accept them as another human and respect that.


thank you sir, I appreciate your quick and lengthy response.

I also agree 100% of where you are coming form in this case, and in no way meant any detrimental towards a person of your caliber, the pseudo-science thing was about the actual report that Spock posted, I saw it as project or study that wasn't very well thought out, taking into circumstance the vast differences of people they had to have interviewed and also what types of colleges they used for those studies..

there is one thing I agree with, and that is the effect of social networking and video games and other similar distractions that have existed now, but also back in your time as well, like most things unless the benefits are 100% healthy for you, moderation and rationality with types of distractions or entertainment is needed and should be understood before partaking in these events, I guess that is where greed and gluttony take place over your rationalities and over-ride any preconceived notion towards that distraction...

I also did not mean to come off like an ass and say there wasn't nearly as many protest or movements in the 60's - 70's as there is today, while their may be more today the implications and actions of these groups should be for the benefit of man on all fronts, I am assuming that you partook in these types of events and that is something I can only thank you for...

I do think though that the 60's and 70's movements are what progressed and eventually evolved into irrational movements today, like the whole Al gore global Warming thing, PETA members wanting to ban all animal killings so meat eater can't eat what they enjoy, anti- tax movements extremist feel they shouldn't have to pay for services of any governmental type..etc....

however just like today's movements those will evolve into unnecessary movements as well, like today's new socialism movements without understanding the fundamentals of economic and fractional reserve systems and how they would never accept governmental socialism however the citizens would accept a citizen form of socialism while our governments continue to form a capitalist form of communism under the rouge of Equal and justified socialism.. or the again the global warming thing, with those dumb old college kids that are smart, but can't see through data to realize that most of it is a hoax even when confronted with the facts, those are the evolutions I am talking about and that is due most part to shared thoughts over individual knowledge and action.

I think this study see's independent freedom as being less empathetic, so they labeled it Less empathetic, they are trying to push for an agenda of socialist or collective thinking, saying if you don't agree with the majority then you are not empathetic and there is something wrong with that.

i have heard that line before:

"either you are with us, or you are with the terrorist!"

I think the study compared to looking at consistent history with people growing old vs. the new age and new Ideas scares the shit out of some folks, I know when i am an aging man that I will find my half aged competitor and I hope that not only do I learn from this young brilliant mind but he can learn from me as well, but I can also respect his point of view and have a conversation like this one here, which is probably why I still have a good amount of respect for Spock, because we do have a lot of similar views, and despite the occasional yelping, for the most part we can respectfully write to each other in each others language and understand one another...

once again thanks for the response sir, I can see you are going to be a helpful and very good addition to this site and that is always a good sign...

for being a dead guy you sure do seem pretty human still.... :lol: :lol:

:flop:

:cheers:

jetxvii

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:37 pm » by jetxvii


spock wrote:
jetxvii wrote:and when you were a young fella, did you have your father or some older work mate say "turn off that damn rock music you hippy!!!" or "cut your hair you damn hippy"...


HAHAHAHA. That's good. I knew I was going to be nailed on that because I didn't make myself clearer. And yea - I thought about the music aspect of it as well.

What I meant by MTV was, hell, they don't even show videos on it but 35% of the time. And yes, I was glued to MTV for years when it first came out. The the "Real Life" shit started airing and it turned into "Yo MTV Sucks".

Essentially, what the viewers were being bombarded with were kids in real life situations, making decisions that would grave impacts their life on TV, without the moderation of an adult, and little by little, like a virus, with the full support of the network, it validated teen angst and gangsta shit as socially viable and respectful ideals in the real world. Up until that point, people usually grew up and out of that frame of mind.

Yes, I'm getting older. I'm 42, and up until a few years ago, I was cool as fuck, now I'm having to pay for college for my kids that think they are cool as fuck, and they don't have a gotdamn clue, even though they'll readily tell me they are smarter then any of us put together.

Some other cool people are Robert Plant, David Gilmore, Geoff Tate, Alex Lifeson (my fave) and others. All people that used to be cool as fuck - and still are in my mind.

One day Jet, Billy Joe from Green Day is going to be bitching about the youth, and you will too.

I liked your point. You understand.


You the man Spock, and Billy Joe is a raging homosexual.

Initiate
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:36 pm

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:41 pm » by Buffendoff


Thank´s telo :sunny:

There is hope, always hope.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Scotland

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:42 pm » by Allreadydead


jetxvii wrote:
allreadydead wrote:
Yes I have taken a look outside, we (as students) protested against what we thought was wrong, laws, idea's etc. and I did not say that some of the younger generation was not doing that today - what I did say was maybe the younger generation sitting in front of their computers was missing out on forming real freindships because of their life-styles - and it was a question to answer - not an attack upon the youth mindset of today.

People are quick to dismiss the early hippie culture of the sixties and seventies, but we fought and tried to change the world for the better - we wore flowers and preached love for everyone and was met with violence, in most cases, and the movement died on it's feet, except for a few aging hippies like myself.

I admire the youth of today, for it's frankness, it's ability to see someone as a person, it's concern for the planet and it's people - In my day people openly spoke and supported, racism, they called other people 'nigers' and 'rag-heads' etc. we fought to change that, to get people accepted for what they were - never mind the colour or religion.

If that was 'Pseudo-science BS' then I practised it, because even today, I will not judge someone on their colour, race or religion - I will accept them as another human and respect that.


thank you sir, I appreciate your quick and lengthy response.

I also agree 100% of where you are coming form in this case, and in no way meant any detrimental towards a person of your caliber, the pseudo-science thing was about the actual report that Spock posted, I saw it as project or study that wasn't very well thought out, taking into circumstance the vast differences of people they had to have interviewed and also what types of colleges they used for those studies..

there is one thing I agree with, and that is the effect of social networking and video games and other similar distractions that have existed now, but also back in your time as well, like most things unless the benefits are 100% healthy for you, moderation and rationality with types of distractions or entertainment is needed and should be understood before partaking in these events, I guess that is where greed and gluttony take place over your rationalities and over-ride any preconceived notion towards that distraction...

I also did not mean to come off like an ass and say there wasn't nearly as many protest or movements in the 60's - 70's as there is today, while their may be more today the implications and actions of these groups should be for the benefit of man on all fronts, I am assuming that you partook in these types of events and that is something I can only thank you for...

I do think though that the 60's and 70's movements are what progressed and eventually evolved into irrational movements today, like the whole Al gore global Warming thing, PETA members wanting to ban all animal killings so meat eater can't eat what they enjoy, anti- tax movements extremist feel they shouldn't have to pay for services of any governmental type..etc....

however just like today's movements those will evolve into unnecessary movements as well, like today's new socialism movements without understanding the fundamentals of economic and fractional reserve systems and how they would never accept governmental socialism however the citizens would accept a citizen form of socialism while our governments continue to form a capitalist form of communism under the rouge of Equal and justified socialism.. or the again the global warming thing, with those dumb old college kids that are smart, but can't see through data to realize that most of it is a hoax even when confronted with the facts, those are the evolutions I am talking about and that is due most part to shared thoughts over individual knowledge and action.

I think this study see's independent freedom as being less empathetic, so they labeled it Less empathetic, they are trying to push for an agenda of socialist or collective thinking, saying if you don't agree with the majority then you are not empathetic and there is something wrong with that.

i have heard that line before:

"either you are with us, or you are with the terrorist!"

I think the study compared to looking at consistent history with people growing old vs. the new age and new Ideas scares the shit out of some folks, I know when i am an aging man that I will find my half aged competitor and I hope that not only do I learn from this young brilliant mind but he can learn from me as well, but I can also respect his point of view and have a conversation like this one here, which is probably why I still have a good amount of respect for Spock, because we do have a lot of similar views, and despite the occasional yelping, for the most part we can respectfully write to each other in each others language and understand one another...

once again thanks for the response sir, I can see you are going to be a helpful and very good addition to this site and that is always a good sign...

for being a dead guy you sure do seem pretty human still.... :lol: :lol:

:flop:

:cheers:


Thank you! - just because I'm dead as a can of spam, doesn't mean I still don't take an interest in you 'lifees' - and yes I did try and change things - normally ended in failure, but I am always glad That I tried!

I like you jetxvii - your passionate about what you believe and feel and are ready to fight for it - I can see that some of the beliefs we (us oldies) preached way back then, has rubbed off and the torch is still alive - just carried by different people with different idea's in a different world. :flop:
Image

Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 15836
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:12 pm

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:43 pm » by Spock


jetxvii wrote:You the man Spock, and Billy Joe is a raging homosexual.



WHAT!!!!!!!!!!???????????????


PreviousNext

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook