Generation me students have less empathy than 20 years ago

Super Moderator

PostSun May 30, 2010 6:35 am » by Spock

Thought this was an interesting article in light of a few of us being called something along the lines of a dinosaur, dieing breed, nostalgia something or nother...

LINK TO ARTICLE

The modern-day "Generation me" students are more selfish and less empathetic than two decades ago, claims new research.

Students used to be all about holding sit-ins and rallies in order to fight for the rights of others.

But now they are too engrossed in their own lives to care, claims new research.

According to psychologists, undergraduates are fast losing the ability to empathise with other people.

Researchers reviewing surveys of empathy found that they have lost almost 40 per cent of the ability since the 1980s.

The study, presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, analyzed a number of surveys involving almost 14,000 college students over the last 30 years.

"We found the biggest drop in empathy after the year 2000," said Sara Konrath, a researcher at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research.

"College kids today are about 40 per cent lower in empathy than their counterparts of 20 or 30 years ago, as measured by standard tests of this personality trait."

Ms Konrath analyzed the findings of 72 different studies of American college students conducted between 1979 and 2009, with fellow graduate student Edward O'Brien and undergraduate student Courtney Hsing.

Compared to college students of the late 1970s, the study found, college students today are less likely to agree with statements such as "I sometimes try to understand my friends better by imagining how things look from their perspective" and "I often have tender, concerned feelings for people less fortunate than me."

Ms Konrath said that many people refer to the effect as the "Generation Me" which is one of the most self-centered, narcissistic, competitive, confident and individualistic in recent history.

"It's not surprising that this growing emphasis on the self is accompanied by a corresponding devaluation of others," Mr O'Brien said.

The researchers felt that the change in society could be to do with violence in the media and modern technology such as the internet reducing face to face personal interaction.

"In terms of media content, this generation of college students grew up with video games, and a growing body of research, including work done by my colleagues at Michigan, is establishing that exposure to violent media numbs people to the pain of others," said Ms Konrath.

The recent rise of social media may also play a role in the drop in empathy, suggests Mr O'Brien.

"The ease of having 'friends' online might make people more likely to just tune out when they don't feel like responding to others' problems, a behavior that could carry over offline," he said.

Add in the hyper competitive atmosphere and inflated expectations of success, borne of celebrity "reality shows," and you have a social environment that works against slowing down and listening to someone who needs a bit of sympathy, he says.

"College students today may be so busy worrying about themselves and their own issues that they don't have time to spend empathizing with others, or at least perceive such time to be limited," O'Brien said.

Dr Abigail San, a British psychologist, said that the phenomenon could be to do with the breakdown of the community and less interaction between parents and young children.

Conspirator

PostSun May 30, 2010 6:57 am » by Ph0enix

this is something i ponder often. why's the service to self lifestyle gaining such popularity?

i think the business world is crafting it so the world is taking it in. as the article said, you can communicate more easily online. i know many people that would frown on your calling them vs. texting them. you're not supposed to speak to some one, even to say hello, if they're on their phone, ipod, or even their laptop in some places. we are being offered all the customizations in the world and some are taking them.

we're swinging and one night standing and panic sexing (DRabbit) more and getting to know less. we're more confused than ever about what we want but willing to put up with what we don't want less and less. this attitude shows up in everything from employment to marriage. honestly, all these divorced guys and unhappily married guys have me scared to death of marriage. they speak of horrible horrible things. i always shrugged it off, but i hear it wayyy too much now.

everything has become preference. isolationist style thinking. as if you really are king and the world really does revolve around your ass. fake behaviors that lead to short term successes, little care or concern for others or whats happening on the news, and personalities that allow for easy disconnection are all too common.

what do we do spock? what do we do?

Conspirator

PostSun May 30, 2010 7:11 am » by lamonema

In comes the next generation of Materialisticaly Controlled Sheople.

Writer

PostSun May 30, 2010 9:34 am » by brothernumbty

ph0enix wrote:this is something i ponder often. why's the service to self lifestyle gaining such popularity?

i think the business world is crafting it so the world is taking it in. as the article said, you can communicate more easily online. i know many people that would frown on your calling them vs. texting them. you're not supposed to speak to some one, even to say hello, if they're on their phone, ipod, or even their laptop in some places. we are being offered all the customizations in the world and some are taking them.

we're swinging and one night standing and panic sexing (DRabbit) more and getting to know less. we're more confused than ever about what we want but willing to put up with what we don't want less and less. this attitude shows up in everything from employment to marriage. honestly, all these divorced guys and unhappily married guys have me scared to death of marriage. they speak of horrible horrible things. i always shrugged it off, but i hear it wayyy too much now.

everything has become preference. isolationist style thinking. as if you really are king and the world really does revolve around your ass. fake behaviors that lead to short term successes, little care or concern for others or whats happening on the news, and personalities that allow for easy disconnection are all too common.

what do we do spock? what do we do?
i dont know jim-maybe its evilution

Initiate

PostSun May 30, 2010 9:56 am » by Buffendoff

We become humble, there is a time for Jesus, and a time for Muhammed.
If you study Humans these are very important spirits in time.

I follow this man, but not 100% if I did I would not dollow him.
http://www.thenagain.info/webchron/china/LaoTse.html

jetxvii

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:21 am » by jetxvii

evolution..... survival of the fittest....

or pseudo science BS....

:badair:

Initiate

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:36 am » by Buffendoff

Humans are different, we seem to challenge nature.
But in my study of nature I find Human behaviour, so only fellow Humans can tell me why this is so simple.

I love Humans, so did a hated person like Muhammed, study his life.
This is why I wonder, there is no need for brutal force anymore.

Muhammed would shake his head if in power today.
I deeply want to reform Islam, but more like to show Muhammed like the Spirit he was.

But understand it will take time, if I front these thoughts I will get killed.

Conspirator

PostSun May 30, 2010 10:40 am » by Allreadydead

We are simply losing our humanity as civilisation developes along the lines of "I" or "1" - I was a student in the seventies and we just about protested against everything, always forming action groups (normally in a bar somewhere) and as I remember, there was always people around -The "human touch" as some call it - it was great.

Now, we seem to keep people at arm's length or rather at the internets length!

Are our youngsters losing one the best gifts humans have to give - that of 'friendship' - real friendship?

Conspirator

PostSun May 30, 2010 11:19 am » by Nihilgeist

spock wrote:Thought this was an interesting article in light of a few of us being called something along the lines of a dinosaur, dieing breed, nostalgia something or nother...

LINK TO ARTICLE

Wow, this sounds really interesting and I'd really like to read this, but umm I'm too busy right now checking out other posts, and I have to text my friends back on my iPhone while getting a college report done, and then I have to do some chores while checking out the 24 hour news on the oil spill. Gotta run!

;)

Unfortunately, that's the way life is these days. I can't say that I haven't grown up with such an environment starting in the 90's but really taking shape towards the end when everything was about image.

You see it in every news article in how to do this and not to do this in getting jobs, establishing credit, having a relationship, and being successful, successful, successful.

It's all about me, not you.
Five Finger Death Punch
"I'd rather you hate me, for everything I am than ever love me, for something that I'm not."

Lowsix wrote:Seriously dude..you're trash.
Always have been.

Conspirator

PostSun May 30, 2010 11:43 am » by Mep630

If you want to dig deeper into this, research Edward Bernays. ~ The century of self and or the engineering of consent.

This was all done on purpose, and is the product of social engineering from the elite.

Because it is easier to corrupt people who are all about themselves.

Not to mention, it keeps focus off the main issues, because people are wrapped up in their own little worlds. You see a lot of this on this forum, people dont care for facts as much as they do for ego masturbation.

If you help the Oppressors, eventually you and your family will be oppressed.

www.mind-wars.com

Next