Germany most-spied-on EU country by US - leaked NSA report

Initiate

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 2:43 pm » by grimghost

Upload to Disclose.tv

Germany appears to be the most snooped on EU country by the US, a map of secret surveillance activities by the National Security Agency (NSA) shows. EU officials are to question their US counterparts on data snooping in Europe.

The color-coded map of secret surveillance activities by the NSA ranks countries according to how much surveillance they are currently undergoing - green for the least and red for the most watched.

While all EU member states boast variant shades of green, Germany stands out, color-coded orange.

The source behind the revelation of the top-secret NSA surveillance program, already referred to as one of the most significant intelligence leaks in US history, was uncovered late last week. 29-year-old Snowden asked The Guardian to reveal his identity, having fled to Hong Kong to escape retaliation by the US authorities.

"The NSA has built an infrastructure that allows it to intercept almost everything. With this capability, the vast majority of human communications are automatically ingested without targeting," he told The Guardian.

"I, sitting at my desk, certainly had the authority to wire-tap anyone ... even if you are not doing anything wrong, you are being watched and recorded," he added.

The 'Boundless Informant' documents show NSA collecting up to 3 billion pieces of intelligence from US computer networks over a 30-day period ending in March 2013, according to The Guardian. The tool reportedly allows users to select a country on a map, view the metadata volume and select details about the collections against this or that state.

http://on.rt.com/m6d0ev

Super Moderator

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 2:47 pm » by Spock

It makes sense in a way. Before the fall of the Berlin Wall, it was the central hub for espionage for both sides of the cold war. Today it's a gateway from the middle east to Europe. The groundwork being in place for decades, I can't see them packing up shop just because communism failed.