GIANT SKULL

Writer

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 am » by Thewhizz

Texas giant-sized skull:
Now confirmed by the university records!
Lovelock skull and parts of skullsA newspaper article from 1940 tells that a giant- sized skull was fund in Texas. I have now received confirmation from the University of Texas that a large skull was found in 1939 but that the skull has been missing from the collection for a long time.

The article from 1940:
Beach Giant Skull Unearthed By WPA Workers Near Victoria
Believed to Be Largest Ever Found in World; Normal Head Also Found
That Texas "had a giant in the beach" in the long ago appears probable from the large skull recently unearthed on a mound in Victoria County, believed to be the largest human skull ever found in the United Estates and probably in the world.
Twice the size of the skull of a normal man, the fragments were dug up by W. Duffen, archeologist who is excavating the mound in Victoria County under a WPA project sponsored by the University of Texas. In the same mound and at the same level, a normal sized skull was found. The peices taken from the mound were reconstructed in the WPA laboratory under the supervision of physical anthopologists.
A study is being made to determine whether the huge skull was that of a man belonging to a tribe of extraordinary large men, or whether the skull was that of an abnormal member of a tribe, a case of gigantism. Several large human bones have been unearthed at the site.
Marcus B. Goldstein, physical anthropologist, employed on the WPA project, formerly was an aide of Alen Horliken, curator of the National Museum of Physical Anthropology.
Finds made through excavations in Texas are begining to give weight to the theory that man lived in Texas 40,000 years ago, it is said.
There are many stories on the internet about remains after ancient giants found many places in the world but it is difficult to get confirmation that these findings actually took place. Well, I have found many old newspaper articles in the New York Times' archives telling about giant bones and skulls found in mounds in the USA. Often the ancient bones crumbled to dust when exposed to air but some were more solid and reportedly taken to nearby universities or museums. I have been trying to get confirmation from the museums and universities, and the first came from the Humbolt Museum in Winnemucca: They do have one of the Lovelock-giants skulls. Morhiss Mound
Most of the newspaper articles are from the last part of 1800 to very early 1900, so it might be hard to find the correct person to contact but one article is from 1940: The San Antonio Express is telling about a giant skull that is twice the size of a normal skull - and there is also a picture. I have managed to get in touch with the University of Texas at Austin and they have been kind enough to search their archives. They found papers telling that there was a large scale archaeological excavation at the so called Morhiss Mound, situated by the Guadalupe River not far south of Victoria in Texas. After an initial correspondence I received an e-mail from Carolyn Spock who is head of records at the Texas Archeological Research Laboratory at the university:
"The particular specimen that you ask about, the large skull found at the Morhiss site in 1939, is noted in our paperwork as missing from the collection (and has been for some time, not appearing in inventories undertaken since the collection arrived at TARL)."
Prehistoric groups
The archaeologists today believe that the Morhiss Mound was a major campsite where prehistoric groups stayed at times and also a burial ground for at least 5.000 years. The first to excavate the place believed that it was a man-made mound similar to mounds found so many other places in the USA but today it is said to be made up of debris naturally deposited from
William A Duffen
William A Duffen
the river.
Never fully analyzed
The site was excavated by archaeologists from the University of Texas during a preliminary dig in 1932 and a large scale excavation in 1938-1940. The person to lead the latter was, as the newspaper article tells, the archaeologist William A. Duffen. He had a large team of 30-40 WPA-paid workers with him and even if the excavations were well done by the standards of the day, the
Morhiss Mound digging.
Morhiss Mound digging.
fieldwork concluded on the eve of World War II, and the site has never been fully analyzed and properly reported.
Early Man
During the excavation the team found a lot of interesting objects like stone tools, knives, arrowheads, unworked flint cobbles and marine shells. Plus human bones, Duffen estimated at least 219 burials could be documented,
Mammoth molar!
Mammoth molar!
representing at least 250 individuals. They also found fossilized bones of extinct animals, and that raised the question if Early Man of North America could have coexisted with now-extinct beasts!
Did it exist?
But what about the skull of large size? Did it exist at all? Well, physical anthropologist Marcus S. Goldstein says in his manuscript; "A couple of unusual crania were unearthed at Morhiss Mound in Victoria County. One of these, although much mended and its base quite warped, is nevertheless obviously a skull of extraordinary size, in many respects larger than any yet reported."
And it was not only one for he added: "Moreover, other crania from the same site approximate the skull in question. Hence, it is my opinion that this exceptionally large skull was not the result of endocrine pathology."
From the newspaper.
From the newspaper.
Extraordinary size
The museum recorded the finding of a large skull in the Morhiss Mound and one of the anthropologists wrote in his report that it was of extraordinary size. But the skull is gone and in all other papers you will find no mentioning of a human skull of giant proportions - not even in Duffen's reports, though he does say that the "skull seems large" and that he "looks like a large individual to begin with." The head of records at the university is of the opinion that the story might have been blown out of proportion, that it might have been the head of a robust person but not out of the ordinary. Well, to me it seems that the picture in the newspaper indeed is showing a skull of extraordinary size. But where is it?

http://www.sydhav.no/giants/victoria_texas.htm

There's a couple of pics on the link.

Super Moderator

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am » by -Marduk-

Super Moderator

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 9:37 am » by Slith

naught wrote:Andre the giants grand daddy

lmao

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair

Sam Ewing

Super Moderator

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 am » by -Marduk-

dlslith wrote:

lmao

Do really think Andre was a big man...cause thats why ure laughin´, Slith?!

:twisted:

Andre was a wimp..UNDERSTAND..compared to ze..
ULTIMATE PooowaAA of Ze allmighty WARRIOR

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 12:56 pm » by Ratty

american wrestling the first time i herd the phrase NWO

Super Moderator

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 1:22 pm » by Slith

marduk2012 wrote:
dlslith wrote:

lmao

Do really think Andre was a big man...cause thats why ure laughin´, Slith?!

:twisted:

Andre was a wimp..UNDERSTAND..compared to ze..
ULTIMATE PooowaAA of Ze allmighty WARRIOR

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

The story goes that during the feud between the Warrior and Andre, that the Warrior was wrestling stiff. Which means that, for example, when he did his closeline move he didn't hold back. He actually hit Andre really hard. One night Andre got pissed off and when the Warrior went to closeline him, Andre punched him in the face. The Warrior got the message very quickly and backed off for the remainder of the feud.
No, Andre was no wimp man. He was a kind and gentle soul. A big one for sure, but as the saying goes. Never piss off a sleeping giant, cause a man that size could in real life, snap us in half

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair

Sam Ewing

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 2:10 pm » by Realorfake

The Ultimate Warrior actually came and spoke at my university back when I was a student there, this being sometime in 2003-2004...

He was eventually booed off stage because of his opinions and ended up screaming at the crowd like he was still a wrestler...

he's always been a psycho i guess....very right wing conservative too
How many times must you honk your horn and say fuck you?
Now what the fuck does that do?
You feel better now, I didnt let you pass.
How bout I stop my car and beat your fuckin' ass?

Super Moderator

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 2:22 pm » by Slith

realorfake wrote:The Ultimate Warrior actually came and spoke at my university back when I was a student there, this being sometime in 2003-2004...

He was eventually booed off stage because of his opinions and ended up screaming at the crowd like he was still a wrestler...

he's always been a psycho i guess....very right wing conservative too

Was that his speech at Uconn? Apparently he has been booed off many stages for being so opinionated. He has become an idiot and a real embarrassment, trying to live in the past, using his name, to make a quick buck

Sam Ewing

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 2:47 pm » by Harbin

Master Conspirator

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 3:14 pm » by Boondox681

wow,murduk..the ultimate warrior.nice blast from the past.i wish i had a pic handy,but i have to go with jimmy 'superfly' snuka.i loved those classic episodes of 'pipers pit'.
thanx for the re-mememories :flop:
"Doing stuff is overrated.Like Hitler.He did a lot.But don't we all wish he woulda' just stayed home and gotten stoned?"

Next