The Ringmakers And Other Bizzare Anomalies Near Saturn

Super Moderator

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 am » by -Marduk-

Cassini Eyes Possible New Moon Forming In Saturn’s Orbit

Newly released images from NASA’s Cassini probe have revealed the “birthing” of a tiny moon in orbit around Saturn.

The images, taken exactly one year ago on Tuesday, showed evidence of the formation of a tiny icy moon, named “Peggy” – according to a new report on the find in the journal Icarus. The study authors said the discovery could provide information about the formation of Saturn’s other moons as well as the process behind planet formation. “We have not seen anything like this before,” said study author Carl Murray of Queen Mary University of London. “We may be looking at the act of birth, where this object is just leaving the rings and heading off to be a moon in its own right.” Cassini’s images show disruptions on the very fringe of Saturn’s A ring – the outermost from the planet’s sizeable, bright rings. One disruption is an arc approximately 20 percent more brilliant than its surroundings, 750 miles long and 6 miles wide. Researchers also discovered unusual lumps in the generally smooth profile at the ring’s edge. The study authors said the arc and lumps are attributable to the gravitational effects of an object in close proximity.

The researchers said they do not expect the object to grow any bigger, in fact – it may even be deteriorating. However, the process of its formation and outward motion supports our knowledge of how Saturn’s icy moons, like the cloud-wrapped Titan and watery Enceladus, could have developed in more substantial rings long ago. “Witnessing the possible birth of a tiny moon is an exciting, unexpected event,” said Linda Spilker, a Cassini Project Scientist who was not among the study’s authors. According to Spilker, the NASA probe’s orbit will shift closer to the exterior edge of the A ring in late 2016 – offering a chance to study Peggy in more detail and perhaps even capture pictures of it. Attempts to take pictures of the moon have been unsuccessful so far, as the new satellite is thought to be no more than about a half mile across.

Two primary factors are thought to have played a role in the analysis of Saturn’s icy moons: size of the moons tends to increase as their proximity to the planet increases and the moons are mostly made of ice. Researchers currently suspect that the moons formed from icy ring particles and then shifted away from the planet – possibly combining with other moons on the way.

“The theory holds that Saturn long ago had a much more massive ring system capable of giving birth to larger moons,” Murray said. “As the moons formed near the edge, they depleted the rings and evolved, so the ones that formed earliest are the largest and the farthest out.”

The study authors said it’s possible moon formation around Saturn has ended – with the rings mostly depleted of moon-forming materials. Because they may be seeing a completely unique event, the study team said they are trying to get every bit of information they can from the Cassini images.

source
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Initiate

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 3:27 pm » by Skydog

Mountains on Saturns moon Iapetus fell from the sky.
It may sound like something out of “Chicken Little,” but at some point in the history of Saturn’s moon Iapetus, the sky was actually falling: Scientists reported this week that an entire 800-mile-long mountain range along the moon’s equator formed after it fell from space.

Iapetus doesn’t feature the telltale signs of volcanism and geologic activity that typically build mountains, which had made the existence of the bulging equatorial ridge a bit of a mystery. In a new study, researchers constructed 3-D maps of the mountain range using images captured by the Cassini spacecraft. By analyzing the shape of the triangular peaks, some up to 12 miles high, researchers concluded that the mountains were created from material that crashed onto the surface of Iapetus at some point in its history.

more here,
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-bri ... m-the-sky/

Super Moderator

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 3:38 pm » by -Marduk-

Skydog wrote:Image

Mountains on Saturns moon Iapetus fell from the sky.
It may sound like something out of “Chicken Little,” but at some point in the history of Saturn’s moon Iapetus, the sky was actually falling: Scientists reported this week that an entire 800-mile-long mountain range along the moon’s equator formed after it fell from space.

Iapetus doesn’t feature the telltale signs of volcanism and geologic activity that typically build mountains, which had made the existence of the bulging equatorial ridge a bit of a mystery. In a new study, researchers constructed 3-D maps of the mountain range using images captured by the Cassini spacecraft. By analyzing the shape of the triangular peaks, some up to 12 miles high, researchers concluded that the mountains were created from material that crashed onto the surface of Iapetus at some point in its history.

more here,
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-bri ... m-the-sky/

Neat stuff, Skydog!
:flop:
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Conspirator

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 4:52 pm » by Rich316

Cosmine wrote:That's the plain truth... I've been there once 25 years ago. Not as big ship... I think it was 5000 km and narrower... kinda made of some sort of one piece white plastic... inside and out, a opening seems to appear from nowhere to let us in... inside the doors open out of the wall, where it seems like a plain wall... if they want furniture it's kinda growing off the walls and floor... no lights, it's the plastic that's luminous...

The ship was full of Nordic's and two tall whites... the female took me to a room and talked to me.... that's were i witness theffurniture poping... sincerely regret but i didn't remember a single word of what she said...

Also the ship was invisible up to a certain distance then it suddenly appears....

Our "rocket " took about (i think ) two and a half minutes to get there... i don't know how it works...

Please don't ask me more about it....

If you don't hear of my delirium in the next few weeks it Whould be cause of this

:scary:

Ok, but you can't expect people not to ask you questions. I got a few!!

You said "The ship was full of Nordic's and two tall whites" So were the Nordics not tall whites? You seem to suggest the 2 tall whites were different to the Nordics in that sentence ??

What do you mean by this "Not as big ship... I think it was 5000 km and narrower" Not as big ship - I don't understand what you mean by that. ??

You said 25 years ago.. I assume you were young then? how old were you?

Do you think it may have been a lucid dream of some sort?

Did you tell anyone else about it at the time, like your parents? What did they say?
Did you remember it straight afterwards or did it take regression hynosis to bring it out?

Sorry, but you have a great story there, I'm all ears :flop:

Conspirator

PostSun Apr 27, 2014 4:13 am » by Cosmine

I wroted you a nice reply full of details...then youtube took me.... everithingy is now erased... fck
I'll come back to you when i find an other hour to waste... Rich

:cheers:

Lukas this is unacepectable...to whom this forum belongs you or youtube.. .fck

Super Moderator

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 12:27 am » by -Marduk-

there's something in a crater of Iapetus..

Upload to Disclose.tv

Previous