Girls Corner

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 3:41 pm » by Poooooot

TWO WAY GLASS IMAGE MIRROR IMAGE

Do you know how to determine if a mirror is 2-way or not? A policewoman who travels all over the US and gives seminars and techniques for businesswomen passed this on…

When we visit toilets, bathrooms, hotel rooms, changing rooms, etc., how many of you know for sure that the seemingly ordinary mirror hanging on the wall is a real mirror, or actually a 2-way mirror (i.e., they can see you, but you can’t see them)? There have been many cases of people installing 2-way mirrors in female changing rooms. It is very difficult to positively identify the surface by looking at it.

So, how do we determine with any amount of certainty what type of mirror we are looking at?
Just conduct this simple test: Place the tip of your fingernail against the reflective surface and if there is a GAP between your fingernail and the image of the nail, then it is GENUINE mirror. However, if your fingernail DIRECTLY TOUCHES the image of your nail, then BEWARE! IT IS A 2-WAY MIRROR!

So remember, every time you see a mirror, do the “fingernail test.” It doesn’t cost you anything.

No Space, Leave the Place
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 11:29 pm » by 99socks

Yes, sometimes I read trash.

Sock's thought:

Sexy clothes aren't the only things that can be fashionable; I think the coat is awesome! It's disappointing that proponents of full-figured models think like everyone else that only skin skin skin is fashionable. They are just as narrow-minded about what is fashionable as the people who think no one bigger than a size 2 deserves to have their photo taken.

At first glance, Melissa McCarthy’s November ELLE cover seems like a score for plus-size women — fashion magazines don’t exactly have a history of showcasing diverse body types — but the actress is wrapped in a bulky coat, a move that isn’t sitting well with many fans.

Every November, ELLE puts out its “Women in Hollywood” issue, featuring the buzziest female celebrities. The issue (on stands Oct. 22) features various stars on its covers. McCarthy’s issue features the funny lady rocking bombshell bedroom hair but wearing a wool and cashmere blue Marina Rinaldi coat, revealing only a tiny patch of skin on her decolletage.

The look is a departure from that of her more scantily clad co-stars: Reese Witherspoon wears a fitted black Versace cutout dress, Shailene Woodley, a Calvin Klein swimsuit, Marion Cotillard, a Viscose knit bra top and wool shorts, and Naomie Harris a long skirt and suede wrap halter top, though Penelope Cruz's curves are invisible in her close-up beauty shot –– the 39-year-old gave birth to her second child less than three months ago.

Unsurprisingly, McCarthy’s cover has triggered debate on social media. @Roundraglanroad tweeted, “Oh look, it's Melissa Mccarthy on the cover of @ELLEmagazine, let's cover her up in the LARGEST COAT POSSIBLE”; @Runawaycow wrote, “Melissa's cover shot is just lazy, it shows that stylists don't want to work with a plus size body or designers”; and @OhhSuzannah wrote, “That is just terrible and lazy. Ugh.” Others dismiss the issue altogether. @MSCanada1201: “I think she looks fabulous! Don't get the controversy. Its a fashion mag. She looks beautiful and fashionable.”

The fashion industry’s message to the plus-size community has always been mixed. In 1998, Vogue asked Oprah Winfrey to appear on its cover, with one caveat: that she diet first. In 2009, Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour admitted to 60 Minutes, "I went to Chicago to visit Oprah, and I suggested that it might be an idea that she lose a little bit of weight before she appeared in the magazine,” then added that Winfrey’s was one of the most successful covers ever. In May, fashion retailer H&M’s CEO Karl-Johan Persson told British publication the Metro that the models employed by his company have been “too skinny,” then referenced Beyoncé — who’s hardly plus-size — as an example of the company’s progress (to H&M's credit, plus-size model Jennie Runk modeled their spring swimsuit line).

And McCarthy — who received an Academy Award nomination for her breakout role in the 2011 hit comedy "Bridesmaids" — has dealt with her own share of weight controversy in Hollywood, where the pressure to stay thin is ever present. Back in February, New York Observer film critic Rex Reed reviewed McCarthy’s film "Identity Thief," calling her “tractor-sized” and “a gimmick comedian who has devoted her short career to being obese and obnoxious with equal success.” Months later, the actress referenced the remarks in a New York Times article, saying, “I felt really bad for someone who is swimming in so much hate. I just thought, that’s someone who’s in a really bad spot, and I am in such a happy spot.” And who could forget the 2010 Marie Claire essay titled “Should Fatties Get a Room?” in which a blogger wrote that she would be “grossed out” watching “fat people kissing each other.” In response, McCarthy told Entertainment Tonight, "My first thought was, 'Gosh, I hope she doesn't have a daughter.’ And then after a second I thought, 'What a sad, troubled person. You're making such a s----y judgment on people.'"

Of the cover, celebrity stylist Dawn Del Russo tells Yahoo Shine, "I definitely think [the cover] is a step in the right direction since it is almost a full-length cover photo," she says. "The coat is on trend now but for future covers, I would hope fuller-figured women are complemented by tailored clothing."

How does McCarthy feel about her look? In an email to Yahoo Shine, a rep from Hearst magazines wrote, “On all of our shoots, our stylists work with the stars to choose pieces they feel good in, and this is no different: Melissa loved this look, and is gorgeous on our cover. We are thrilled to honor her as one of our Women in Hollywood this year.”

And while reps for McCarthy did not return Yahoo Shine’s calls for comment, on Thursday the actress (sort of) addressed the controversy, telling "omg! Insider," “[ELLE is] a magazine I grew up with and I hadn't done anything quite like that. I was nervous … It was kind of amazing” and “Listen, until I am stopped at the gate, I'm going to keep showing up."

However, despite the "Mike & Molly" star's push-pull relationship with her weight (she told "Entertainment Tonight" that she would "love to look emaciated"), she's also spoken of launching a plus-size fashion line, telling the Hollywood Reporter, “Trying to find stuff that's still fashion-forward in my size is damn near impossible. It's either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and there is nothing in the middle." Is a bulky wool coat the fashion debut she had in mind?

Hmph.

:nope:
Last edited by 99socks on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 pm » by 99socks

Poooooot wrote:Aww, someone moved this out of "off topic" where I put it, and into "website & forum." :D

I feel honored :love:

Last night I was looking up about blackheads... For researchyeah right... and I stumbled upon some blog post where the girl talks about Lotus Oil. I have never even heard of it. I was wondering if any of you have, and if so, have you tried it?

Just like "protein gets out protein," oil will dissolve oil.

I used to have terrible skin. Then I thought about it, decided to see if Newton's law was true in biology, tossed out every bit of wisdom every dermatologist ever told me, and started SMEARING oil on myself.

I now wash 2x a day with Pond's cold cream. The first few weeks you'll look like an oil field exploded and you'll have to follow-up with a cotton pad and witch hazel until all the DEEP gunk is drawn out. (Yes, you will need to change pillowcases every night while you are doing this.) Eventually you don't have to use witch hazel. Also, every morning I use grapeseed oil under my makeup, and once or twice a month, I use the "oil cleansing method" as a deep cleanser (castor oil and jojoba oil, or castor oil and grapeseed oil- depending on what I have laying around).

The results...
Let's just say, this is just another example of how common sense trumps all the education of doctors trained in the allopathic system. :flop:

(Warning- you must be willing to endure a profound amount of yuck and shine for about 2 weeks.)

Also- wash with cool or slightly warm water. :wink:

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 3:46 pm » by Poooooot

99socks wrote:Yes, sometimes I read trash.
Sock's thought:
Sexy clothes aren't the only things that can be fashionable; I think the coat is awesome! It's disappointing that proponents of full-figured models think like everyone else that only skin skin skin is fashionable. They are just as narrow-minded about what is fashionable as the people who think no one bigger than a size 2 deserves to have their photo taken.

That coat is beautiful. :love:
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Writer

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 pm » by Genmetsu

On the subject of blackheads, I've never tried lotus oil I usually just use biore deep cleansing pore strips. They actually work like a charm. I was a little hesitant of them at first since you have to leave them on for about 15 minutes. But they got rid of them completely.
I don't though, maybe home remedies are better for your skin but to be honest I've never tried using them. Though I did watch a video about how coffee grounds get rid of cellulite. I've been meaning to try that one. :flop:

Conspirator

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 12:09 am » by Poooooot

The57ironman wrote:.

...the next guy wanting to troll, derail, and disrupt this thread ... gets banned....Image

Wait! What did I miss?? :shock:
Matthew 7

Super Moderator

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 4:13 am » by Slith

No offense gents. But it is the Girls Corner. Hate on me if you want, but I agree, let's leave it to the girls.

No bans will be necessary, but posts will be taken down. We can sausage fest on other threads

Canubis wrote:

u fell for my missle tow.....its just a pek..... im perma banned 3 times for fags.... so smooch! it

SMAK ME BITCH on the lips....

xmass is coming hard...

Conspirator

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 4:33 am » by Poooooot

...back on track?

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Toner is something you can make at home to help clear your skin or simply improve your overall complexion.

Malic and lactic acids found in the vinegar help to soften and exfoliate your skin, reduce red marks, and treat acne on both your face and body. Apple cider vinegar also tones your skin to the proper pH.

[...]

While ACV has antibacterial and antiseptic properties, most people have success with this toner because of how well it balances out their skin. You need to have pH-balanced skin because without it, your skin will suck. And when your skin sucks, you will probably break out. And if you don't break out, your skin will probably be too dry or too oily. Or feel irritated, red and hot... The list goes on and on.

So why does your skin become unbalanced in the first place and how does apple cider vinegar make things better?

First, you have to understand that everyone has a protective acid mantle, which is a thin layer of oil, on the outer surface of his/her skin. As the name suggests, the protective acid mantle protects your skin and keeps it acidic. Skin is naturally acidic and functions best when it's at a pH of around 5.5 (any number greater than 0 and less than 7 is acidic).

Each time you wash your face or apply a product, you disrupt this natural acid mantle. It could be because you're washing away some of your protective skin barrier or because products you're using are basic (non-acidic or alkaline) in nature. Under normal circumstances, healthy skin will bounce right back and and rebalance on its own.

However, when your acid mantle is disturbed, your skin grows vulnerable to infections and other irritations. Using harsh products, over cleaning, or even stressing out too much can cause your acid mantle to function improperly, throwing your skin's pH out of whack. As a result, many people begin to experience acne and dryness. This is where the apple cider vinegar toner comes to the rescue!

ACV has a pH of 3 and when diluted, the acidity from the toner helps bring your skin's pH back to its normal levels. By restoring your skin's balance, apple cider vinegar helps your skin function optimally, warding off bacteria and shedding dead skin cells at the proper rate so pores are unblocked and skin remains healthy.

How to make the Apple Cider Vinegar toner

The following instructions are for 1 cup of a 50% strength ACV toner:

What you need:

1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar (preferably organic)
1/2 cup of water (preferably bottled, but tap is fine)
Glass container for the toner

How to make the ACV toner:

Clean and sterilize a glass bottle for storing the toner.
Using a funnel, pour 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of water into your glass container.
Shake to mix well.
Apply toner to skin with a cotton ball. Shake well before each use.
Store in a cool, dry, dark place.

Additional tips:

To sterilize a glass bottle, boil it or wash it with really hot water. Be careful not to rinse hot glass immediately with cold water or the glass may shatter. Let the glass bottle cool and dry completely before using.

Most people use a 1:1 ratio of ACV and diluted water (though some even use 100% ACV!). This basically means that you use half ACV and half water for your toner. However, since ACV is an acid, many people cannot tolerate it at this concentration. I, for example, like to use a 1:4 ratio of ACV and water.

When you first start using this toner, it's a good idea to start off with a 1:8 ratio first and see how your skin reacts. You can then make it stronger or weaker depending on how it feels. Many people also like to add green tea and/or other essential oils to give the toner extra oomph and mask its "stinky feet" scent.

Read More
Matthew 7

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 4:08 pm » by Poooooot

Scientific Review Says Women Have Evolved to Be Mean Girls

A recent review published in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B argues that women are catty and gossipy because of evolution.

The paper, which was authored by Tracy Vaillancourt of University of Ottawa, argues that "females prefer to use indirect aggression over direct aggression (i.e. verbal and physical aggression) because this form of aggression maximizes the harm inflicted on the victim while minimizing the personal danger involved." She cites a study by Anne Campbell that finds that females across several species tend to engage in indirect aggression when competing for mates because direct aggression is too potentially costly: if a female is injured or killed, it's likely her offspring will die as well.

Vaillancourt further argues that "females punish other females who seem to make sex too readily available using indirect aggression," by devaluing them in a "concealed way which diminishes the risk of counterattack." In the last sentence of her conclusion, she links this hypothesis to evolution:

The benefits of using indirect aggression seem clear — fewer competitors and greater access to preferred mates, which in ancestral times would have been linked to differential reproduction rates, the driving force of evolution by sexual selection.

It's a big leap to go from "women tend to engage in indirect aggression now" to "women engaged in indirect aggression at some distant point in our evolutionary past." And, as Campbell points out to LiveScience, "There is virtually no sex difference in indirect aggression. By the time you get to adulthood, particularly in work situations, men use this too." Furthermore, the review doesn't really prove that indirect aggression works — just that it exists. Says Kim Wallen, a psychologist at Emory University, "Sadly, no empirical data are ever presented that are relevant to the central claim."

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/10/evoluti ... girls.html
http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... 0.full.pdf

Matthew 7

Initiate

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 5:25 pm » by Princessleia

Hey ladies... :owned:

PreviousNext

Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook