God “had a wife” ?

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

Finds in Israel add weight to theory God “had wife”
Female figurines and inscribed prayers to a "divine couple" found in temples in Israel suggest that the “one God” of the Bible may not have been entirely alone

Female figurines and inscribed prayers to a "divine couple" found in temples in Israel suggest that the “one God” of the Bible may not have been entirely alone.

A recent excavation in Tel Motza, not far from Jerusalem, found what archaeologists believe to have been a ritual building - with clay figures of animals and men from the time of the First Temple, according to Israel's Haaretz news site.

The find suggests that Iron Age religion in the area around Jerusalem may not have been monotheistic just before the time the Hebrew Bible – the basis of the Old Testament - started to be written.

Now experts are increasingly suggesting that far from there being “one God”, there were many.

One expert, Professor Francesca Stavrakopoulou of the University of Exeter, says there is “increasing evidence” of Israelites worshipping several gods - including one who may have been seen as Yahweh’s “wife”.

Archaeologists Dr. Hamoudi Khalaily and Shua Kisilevitz, said, "The ritual building at Tel Motza is an unusual and striking find, in light of the fact that there are hardly any remains of ritual buildings of the period in Judaea at the time of the First Temple. Among other finds, the site has yielded pottery figurines of men, one of them bearded, whose significance is still unknown."

“The iconography points to a pantheon of deities, as some scholars believe, or to two main deities, something of a duality,” says archaeology writer Julia Fridman, writing in Israeli newspaper Haaretz.

“Interestingly, there are vastly more female figurines and representations found on shrines than there are male ones. The evidence points to the worship of at least two deities.”

Fridman points to discoveries in an 8th century tomb at the site of Khirbet el Qom, containing the names of YHWH - the God of the Bible - and a female figure, Ashera. Fridman says that the inscription appears to be a prayer, invoking both deities.

Another inscription, found at the site of Kuntillet Arjud, is dedicated to, ““YHWH and his ASHERA”. Such practices continued into the late Iron Age of the Land of Israel (10th–6th centuries BC), according to Fridman.

Professor Francesca Stavrakopoulou of the University of Exeter said, “There is increasing evidence that the ancient Israelites worshipped a number of gods alongside their ‘national’ patron deity, Yahweh. The goddess Asherah was among these deities.

“Not only is she mentioned in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), but inscriptions dating to the eighth and seventh centuries BCE attest to her worship alongside Yahweh in the kingdoms of Israel and Judah. Taken together, the biblical and archaeological evidence strongly suggests that Asherah was worshipped by some Israelites as the wife of Yahweh. They were likely a divine couple at the head of the local pantheon.”

Stavrakopoulou says that deities such as Asherah were “written out of history” as Yahweh became the “one God” of Jerusalem.

Theologians of the time were the scribes responsible for biblical texts - and Asherah’s appearances cast her as “foreign”, rather than as wife material.

“With the gradual emergence of monotheism in the sixth and fifth centuries BCE, a process in which Yahweh was increasingly prioritised over and above all other deities to the point at which the pantheon was ultimately rendered redundant, the goddess Asherah fell from favour among the leading theologians among Jerusalem’s elites,” Stavrakopoulou says.

“Many of these theologians were the scribes responsible for the production of biblical texts, and they sought to discredit and vilify the goddess of old by casting her as a deity ‘foreign’ and ‘abominable’ to traditional Yahweh-worship. As a result, she was falsely caricatured in the Bible either as a ‘Canaanite’ competitor to the Israelite god Yahweh (as in Torah and the Books of Kings), or as a lifeless wooden idol – an object to be destroyed by obedient to Yahweh’s demands that Israelites should worship him, and him alone (as in Deuteronomy).”

Other academics point to clay figurines of female forms as evidence that monotheism did not take hold instantly in the aera.

Erin Darby of the University of Tennessee-Knoxville says that female figurines were used widely - although perhaps not as a “religion” in the way we understand it today.

"The Judahite pillar figurines certainly tell us that many of the people who lived in Judah used small terracotta females in rituals that I strongly believe relate to protection and healing, most frequently taking place in homes and neighborhoods. This is especially true in Jerusalem,” Darby said in an interview with Haaretz.

The idea that Iron Age Israelites were strict “monotheists” is perhaps wrong, Darby suggests.

"I think you have tons of evidence to back this up, especially in Jerusalem and outlying areas like Motza. Not even the Bible claims that most ancient Judeans were strict monotheists," she said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/finds-in-israe ... ml#BbbzQE1

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 12:06 am » by Constabul

It shows more evidence of, an already known.

The ancient Semitic religions, were pantheon based religions. All the way till King Hezekiah's time around 700 ish BCE.
It was he, who actually monotheized the religion of the Torah, which took sects of various popular Gods in that area and made them into One God.

In that time 'God' lost his wife. Or rather one god of many lost his wife.

This was later copied by the Romans introducing a State imposed religion of Christianity. Moving away from the older roman pantheon, and various other forms of god(s) worship throughout their empire. Trying to quell internal strife.

Cool article FD
:cheers:

Initiate

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 12:24 am » by telocvovim

:look:

:bullshit:

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 12:31 am » by Constabul

telocvovim wrote::look:

http://psychology.about.com/od/theories ... mech_3.htm

Denial

Denial is probably one of the best known defense mechanisms, used often to describe situations in which people seem unable to face reality or admit an obvious truth (i.e. "He's in denial."). Denial is an outright refusal to admit or recognize that something has occurred or is currently occurring. Drug addicts or Religoholics often deny that they have a problem, while victims of traumatic events may deny that the event ever occurred.

Yo teloc

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 12:50 am » by Cia212

The Jews were often rebuked for worshiping multiple gods. Nothing new here - it got funny when people tried to claim the Bible proves that God had a wife.

post667069.html

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 1:02 am » by Truthdefender

Constabul wrote:
telocvovim wrote::look:

http://psychology.about.com/od/theories ... mech_3.htm

Denial

Denial is probably one of the best known defense mechanisms, used often to describe situations in which people seem unable to face reality or admit an obvious truth (i.e. "He's in denial."). Denial is an outright refusal to admit or recognize that something has occurred or is currently occurring. Drug addicts or Religoholics often deny that they have a problem, while victims of traumatic events may deny that the event ever occurred.

Yo teloc

Actually Const, this article is deceptive and leading. These figurines, are most likely of Ba'al and Asherah. Two semitic deities commonly found together. The writers then tie in an entirely different find with the inscription and loosely tie it all together. Generically charging Yahweh had a wife. And these same deities along with others are found throughout the Mediterranean and near east tying all of them back to Babylon, Nimrod, and Semiramis. The Bible does not dispute the existence of this type of deity worship, but exposes it. The conspiracy theory that the Israelites were all polytheistic until Yahweh politically won out around Hezekiah is a half truth. Belief in the One Unseen Creator, monotheism, is the one true and original religion of all peoples, the Egyptians included. However, true belief in the One God was practiced by the minority, and the scribes. These other Babylonian and Canaanite practices were probably very common to the common people particularly as the Israelites conquered and assimilated them. Such is the story of Solomon.

Upload to Disclose.tv

In Christ are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 1:07 am » by Truthdefender

Cia212 wrote:The Jews were often rebuked for worshiping multiple gods. Nothing new here - it got funny when people tried to claim the Bible proves that God had a wife.

post667069.html

These "theologians" are either poor researchers or outwardly trying to deceive. My guess is the latter.

This is the point of most Bible/archaeological scholarship these days. It is always slanted to slander and deceive, at least where anything "God" is concerned.

Upload to Disclose.tv

In Christ are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 1:18 am » by Temps13

Most of the contenders for God,Yahweh or whatever had wives,Enlil had Ninlil,Enki had Ninki,Ninurta had Bau,Marduk had Sarpanit,& so on..
Image Image
IRMENSUL13

Initiate

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 8:01 am » by SonOfGodEternalFlame

Jeremiah 7:18
King James Version (KJV)
18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

Anyone who reads the word of god and hears with understanding and fear him. He is from above
and sustained below. the gates of hell shall not prevail against him

Proverbs 16
King James Version (KJV)
16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer
John 1

King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

19 And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?

20 And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.

21 And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.

22 Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?

23 He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

24 And they which were sent were of the Pharisees.

25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?

26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;

27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.

28 These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing.

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.

31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

35 Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;

36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?

39 He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour.

40 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.

41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.

42 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

43 The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me.

44 Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.

45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

46 And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!

48 Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.

49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

50 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.

51 And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

The queen of heaven was first used by the occult, Nimrod was God and the queen of heaven
was Samuehlramus.
this is the true understanding of the cult and entering the new age

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 am » by SonOfGodEternalFlame

click on this and read nimrod the mighty man

http://books.google.com/books?id=flosLA ... &q&f=false

Next