God/Nature's response to 1814 British burning of White House

Writer

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 1:10 am » by Esther40

There are countless examples from history of proof that there is a 'God'. I'll briefly give just one...

The War of 1812 continued into 1814. In September of that year, the British sailed up the Chesapeake and marched on Washington, DC. They met very little resistance as they entered the US Capitol. The then unopposed British set fire to several Federal buildings including the White House! While the fires still raged, suddenly a hurricane passed over the Capitol and some claim to have even seen a tornado come down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the British! Not only was the White House fire and others put out by this great storm, the incredibly strong winds reportedly tossed British cannons into the air! When the storm was over, the British regulars and officers were so spooked by what had just happened, that they retreated - unopposed - to their ships and sailed off. (Google it.)

Initiate

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 1:19 am » by Captainkarizma

This is the kind of religious spew we do not need.
:robot: this is the captain speaking :badair:

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 1:25 am » by Redwoodrick

Interesting :flop:
:hiho:
I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man- Thomas Jefferson

To be honest I'm not even sure what "alien" means. Alien to what? The universe is teeming with life.

Writer

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 1:50 am » by Esther40

captainkarizma wrote:This is the kind of religious spew we do not need.

Captain Kranizma,

What a weird reply. Apparently you read the op, had you ever heard the story of the British burning the White House in 1814 before? How do you explain the sudden appearance of a hurricane and a tornado coming down Pennsylvania Ave? Coincidence?!

It's obvious that you are NOT interested in the truth. You have an anti-religious agenda and you are NOT wanting anybody to provide any serious evidence that reputes your false stances. Different religions have made many mistakes in the past and are continuing to today. Yet, they have, for the most part, provided helpful guidance for humanity. There is a God and if you chose to ignore Him and evidence of His actions, and teach others to do the same, you will be judged according to your actions. The law of karma is as real as the law of gravity.

I AM just trying to help you and others like you that are misguided. It's easy for many to dismiss the Bible because it's 2,000 years old and you can blow it off as non-historical and non-local. It's not so easy to ignore this act of God from less than 200 years ago right here in the US Capitol.

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 1:54 am » by Muchtyman

esther40 wrote:There are countless examples from history of proof that there is a 'God'. I'll briefly give just one...

The War of 1812 continued into 1814. In September of that year, the British sailed up the Chesapeake and marched on Washington, DC. They met very little resistance as they entered the US Capitol. The then unopposed British set fire to several Federal buildings including the White House! While the fires still raged, suddenly a hurricane passed over the Capitol and some claim to have even seen a tornado come down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the British! Not only was the White House fire and others put out by this great storm, the incredibly strong winds reportedly tossed British cannons into the air! When the storm was over, the British regulars and officers were so spooked by what had just happened, that they retreated - unopposed - to their ships and sailed off. (Google it.)

A few years back , I was holidaying at Niagra on the Lake , a small town that was involved in the 1812 war , the locals told me that the raid on Washington was a response to the American invasion and sack of that part of Canada in 1813 by the American Army .

ps ............God doesn't take sides .

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 am » by Richc

"Theres A Storm Coming!"

Initiate

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 2:03 am » by Captainkarizma

esther40 wrote:
captainkarizma wrote:This is the kind of religious spew we do not need.

Captain Kranizma,

What a weird reply. Apparently you read the op, had you ever heard the story of the British burning the White House in 1814 before? How do you explain the sudden appearance of a hurricane and a tornado coming down Pennsylvania Ave? Coincidence?!

It's obvious that you are NOT interested in the truth. You have an anti-religious agenda and you are NOT wanting anybody to provide any serious evidence that reputes your false stances. Different religions have made many mistakes in the past and are continuing to today. Yet, they have, for the most part, provided helpful guidance for humanity. There is a God and if you chose to ignore Him and evidence of His actions, and teach others to do the same, you will be judged according to your actions. The law of karma is as real as the law of gravity.

I AM just trying to help you and others like you that are misguided. It's easy for many to dismiss the Bible because it's 2,000 years old and you can blow it off as non-historical. It's not so easy to ignore this act of God from less than 200 years ago right here i the US Capitol.

Yes I know about the war .
Did god intervene? , did he save the country from the evil British ?
gimme a fuckin break it was a storm they happen all the time.
So who was god protecting? The USA? .
Briton in 1814 was Christian
and the USA?
John Adams
2nd president, Proposed and signed the Treaty of Tripoli
"Have you considered that system of holy lies and pious frauds that has raged and triumphed for 1500 years."

letter to John Taylor, 1814, quoted by Norman Cousins in In God We Trust: The Religious Beliefs and Ideas of the American Founding Fathers (New York: Harper & Brothers, 1958), p. 106-7, from James A. Haught, ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief
"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles."

letter to Thomas Jefferson, June 20, 1815
Thomas Jefferson
3rd president, Drafted Declaration of Independence, Signer of Constitution, influential on 1st Amendment

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."
"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies."
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
[Notes on Vi

Writer

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 2:08 am » by Esther40

redwoodrick wrote:Interesting :flop: "I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Redwood Rick,

Obviously, Jefferson believed in God although he was a 'Doubting Thomas' when it came to Jesus' miracles - he deleted them from his version of the Gospel ('Jefferson Bible'). Jefferson and John Adams both died on 7/4/1826 - the 50th Anniversary of the signing of the Declaration. This is often referred to as the biggest coincidence in American history. In Hebrew, there's not even a word for 'coincidence' - there's a strong belief in G-d.

Did Jefferson and Adams write each other about the 1814 DC fire and hurricane? We ought to research that. Had you heard of it before now? :wink:
Last edited by Esther40 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Initiate

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 2:12 am » by Zubenelgenubi

Are they now teaching kids in US schools that the war of 1812 was unprovoked?

The US was attacking Canadian settlements, and Britain had to send a message that attacking its colonies would not be tolerated.

Initiate

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 2:14 am » by Captainkarizma

esther40 wrote:
redwoodrick wrote:Interesting :flop: :hiho: "I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Redwood Rick,

Obviously, Jefferson believed in God although he was a 'Doubting Thomas' when it came to Jesus' miracles - he deleted them from his version of the Gospel ('Jefferson Bible'). Jefferson and John Adams both died on 7/4/1826 - the 50th Anniversary of the signing of the Declaration. This is often referred to as the biggest coincidence in American history. In Hebrew, there's not even a word for 'coincidence' - there's a strong belief in G-d.

Did Jefferson and Adams write each other about the 1814 DC fire and hurricane? We ought to research that. Had you heard of it before now? :wink:

The war isn't the debate here its your convoluted blind ignorant ravings about your beliefs.
And do you really think telling me I will be judged is going to make the truth , untrue to me ?
Take a look at the facts if you can see past your righteous ,jesus goggles.

Next