Gulf of Mexico Loop Current Broken!! Risk of Global Climate

Master Conspirator

PostFri Jul 23, 2010 6:23 pm » by Drjones

boondox681 wrote:thank you low,the voice of reason.THIS WAS AN ACCIDENT
now...rom told the entire world what their plans are.
never let a crisis go to waste
the opportunity will come,but the question is-will you be prepared?
they are fucking prepared.are we?
because OUR opportunity will most surely come.
peace

I just can't for the love of me see how ANYONE can say this was an 'oopsy daisy' straight as you like accident and given the other 'accident' on the opposite side of the globe in China,i definetely smell a rat.Or more like rats... :think:

Initiate

PostFri Jul 23, 2010 6:56 pm » by Captchaos

This is interesting.
above,The average ship-drift dervied surface velocities show the well-know omega-shaped flow pattern of the Loop current. The Loop Current (1) feeds the Florida Current that transports significant amounts of heat poleward; (2) transports surface waters of tropical origin into the Gulf of Mexico; and (3) is fed by the Caribbean current and the Yucatan

The clockwise flow that extends northward into the Gulf of Mexico and joins the Yucatan Current and the Florida Current is known as the Loop Current (Hofmann and Worley, 1986). Historically, average transport values for these three currents have been around 30 Sv (e.g. Morrison and Nowlin, 1977; Nowlin and McClellan, 1967; Schmitze and Richardson, 1968). Although recent measurements (Sheinbaum et al. 2002) contend that the mean transport is 24 Sv. Near-surface velocities approach 80 cm s-1 in the Yucatan Current (Coats, 1992) and have been reported as high as 150 cm s-1 (at 300 m) (Nowlin and McLellan, 1967). Additionally, the Yucatan and Florida current have been shown to be within 10% of each other's volume at any given time (Molinari and Morrison, 1988). Thus, variability in both the Loop and Yucatan currents would be expected to have a strong impact on the Florida Current as well.

The Loop Current is variable in position. At one extreme, it has an almost direct path to the Florida Current, causing the shear in the flow to set up a quasi-permanent clockwise recirculation known as the Cuban Vortex. This feature may help initiate Loop Current expansion. (Coats, 1992; Nowlin and McLellan, 1967; Cochrane, 1972; Hoffmann and Worley, 1986). At the other extreme, the Loop Current intrudes into the Gulf of Mexico, forming an intense clockwise flow as far north as 29.1N. Occasionally this loop will reach as high as the Mississippi river delta or the Florida continental shelf (Wiseman and Dinnel, 1988; Molinari and Mayer, 1982; Huh et al., 1981; Vukovich et al., 1979). It was this large loop phase of the current from which Nowlin and McClellan (1967) derived the name Loop Current. The Loop Current returns to its direct configuration by slowly pinching off its extension to form a large, warm-core ring that then propagates westward at speeds of 2-5 km day-1 (Coats, 1992; Elliott, 1982; Shay et al., 1998). The 900 km (Auer, 1987) expanse of Loop Current position is reminiscent of the variability in position at the Gulf Stream Extension region.

Early accounts attempted to identify a spring seasonal signal in the Loop current intrusion (Leipper, 1970; Behringer et al, 1977; Nowlin and Hubertz, 1972; Maul, 1977). However, although the intrusion may tend to form more frequently in the spring, it can occur in any season and has periods varying from 6-17 months (Molinari, 1980). Changes in the Yucatan current position have been correlated with Loop Current position, allowing it to serve as index to the extent of the intrusion (Molinari and Cochrane, 1972). However, the manner in which the two currents affect each other with regards to position is as yet unclear. The Loop Current draws its waters from the Yucatan Current, which is ultimately fed by the Caribbean Current, Guiana Current and North Equatorial Current. This provides a vital link between North Atlantic and South Atlantic waters. However, analysis of 12 years of data indicated no significant correlation between monthly Loop Current position and Florida Current transport (Maul and Vukovich, 1993). Although the frequencies of ring separation vary, Sturges (1992) also was unable to correlate ring separation and changes in transport of the Florida Current. The annual fluctuations in Loop Current flow are apparently due to wind forcing (Sturges and Evans, 1983).
http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/at ... rrent.html

If, & I say if this a once & 20,000 yr. deal we are seeing here instead of just a seasonal occurrence, then in just a few years we could be screwed.

Initiate

PostFri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm » by Captchaos

Here is a link to the gulf stream in supposed real-time.

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/ofs/viewer.s ... ate=latest

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 23, 2010 7:09 pm » by sockpuppet

Yeah, but...

These maps everyone's looking at are in 2 dimensions, but the currents function in 3 dimensions. If you play round with the maps on NOAA, you will find that there is a place you can "plug in" certain depths. I am sure you will find the warm water that seems to be disappearing is really just moving on another axis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

PostSat Jul 24, 2010 4:47 pm » by Username5

The loop current does break all the time, its called eddies. Sometimes those eddies are "huge", one event being named "Titanic". Here's a list of the most recent breaks. Most of the time it reattaches itself. Its impossible to know whether or not its going to do that in this situation. The scientific paper submitted posts two truisms - that the loop current has recently broken and that, if it should stop entirely for a long time then it will cause significant damage. The issue here is time, and this is where the paper goes wrong. You can't assume it will stay broken, and you can't predict the future where mother nautre is concerned.

http://www.horizonmarine.com/loop_current_eddies.php

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 24, 2010 11:36 pm » by Svaha

Yes, right, for now I'm enjoying a very hot summer here in the Dutch mountains.

I think this wasn't planned, I think BP wanted results very fast, underestimated the danger of drilling this well.
Then a lot of safety systems were disabled, safety procedures were not followed, bad maintenance, a situation you may find in many firms nowadays.
Every year the profit has to increase, so every year more people have to get fired, maintenance neglected and so on.
I worked in the chemical / technical world, I always stopped a plant when safety was on the line, this was not done here so I think that the workers will be blamed.

Also this happens around the world now, oil wells are behaving strange.
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Writer

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 pm » by simonlice

There is a need for the illuminati to illuminate the dim ones that have no light. Global warming enthusiasts leave out evaporation that causes ice to break away. Go to the fridge and you can see that ice evaporates even frozen. :(

Master Conspirator

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 pm » by Cornbread714

Svaha wrote:Yes, right, for now I'm enjoying a very hot summer here in the Dutch mountains.

Wait a second - Dutch mountains? :alien51:

Just giving you a hard time, Svaha.

I remember you saying that you live in the south of Holland, where there are indeed some rolling hills.

I guess to a Dutch person, these might seem like mountains, since the rest of Holland is flatter than a pannekoek.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Previous