Hackers have Taken Down the Playstation Network

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 05, 2011 4:13 am » by Hackjames

spock wrote:OLD AS HELL!!! 43.

Addiction...

Ha, not that old. Especially in the grand scheme of things. ;]

Regarding the clip (good film, btw)...was your thought that we're all out of control with addictions? If so, doesn't that somewhat undermine the legitimacy of the word, given that it becomes synonymous with all human behavior?

I think the example given with the rats is a bit extreme and not entirely applicable to the human condition, but despite the extrapolation it's not at all irrelevant. My understanding of neuroplasticity seems to suggest to me that these matters aren't as thoroughly governed by base chemical reactions as is often portrayed by strict materialists, but I'm in agreement that there is a strong influence at the very least that should be seriously considered when discussing addiction.

I just feel it's one of the many labels that is used as shorthand for behaviors that are not well understood or empathized with, and tends to muddle discussions at times.
This is your world. You're the creator.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 am » by Iamthatiam

Crackers for JC's sake...CRAAACKEERRSSS!!!!

Today's hacking is a profession,well paid and honest one... :flop:

Fed by crackers though.....! :mrgreen:

"The Heaven's Lights are fed by the energy generated inside the furnaces of Hell; I AM One Conductive Wire! "

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 05, 2011 5:00 am » by Hackjames

iamthatiam wrote:Crackers for JC's sake...CRAAACKEERRSSS!!!!

Today's hacking is a profession,well paid and honest one... :flop:

Fed by crackers though.....! :mrgreen:

Sorry, what now?
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Initiate

PostTue Apr 05, 2011 12:29 pm » by Welcomechange

Any idea who Hacked it?
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 05, 2011 3:41 pm » by Iamthatiam

hackjames wrote:Sorry, what now?

Wrong First question (Not kissing in first dates....lol)

"What HACKING" 'd be a nice one,then your attempt in understanding MY persp.(From your view point) 'd be embased on whats really meant to ilustrate here...But s K then...I'll preempt the whole context 'til here for you to be understanding!

NOTE:If your Nick's "hack" part is somehow hacking related shame on you Mr(Ms) :nope:

Remember when the first individuals possessing the "Machine Language" gift started making their WIZ's?Well....it couldnt be framed by justice's,and this created some sort of Ghostly overall characteristic,Mistifying these Abilities into a single Depiction:Hacker/Hacking.

ADDENDUM:Every social trait and characteristic,as peculiar as could be seeming,is STRONGLY influenced by Jurisprudence scenario,maybe more than religious,just in a so subtle way sometimes that the religious takes its place as a more tendentious influence!

The so called Hacking can be depicted today as follows(You can notice the definitions changes,as the legal framing embasement)....Still...whether by laziness and/or ignorance it stills being generally addressed as Hacking.

The REAL hackers are mostly working on the CORPORATIVE field,or for the "Letter Soups"(NSA/CIA/FBI/Military private contracts....Endless list...)!!Or,for themselves as INDUSTRY/PRIVATE PROJECTS/GOVERNMENT SPIES,which makes almost the same as what I previously mentioned,with the difference that these are like "Soldiers of Fortune"..............

All that and AL(L)WAYS you can count on Hackers to be very "Smooth"...This is the reason for the "Subtags" such as "Lammer","Spammer","Cracker" so on....

This will enlighten you further:

Crackers, Spammers, and Lamers:

From the late 1980s onward, a flourishing culture of local, MS-DOS-based bulletin boards has been developing separately from Internet hackerdom. The BBS culture has, as its seamy underside, a stratum of `pirate boards' inhabited by crackers, phone phreaks, and warez d00dz. These people (mostly teenagers running PC-clones from their bedrooms) have developed their own characteristic jargon, heavily influenced by skateboard lingo and underground-rock slang.

Though crackers often call themselves `hackers', they aren't (they typically have neither significant programming ability, nor Internet expertise, nor experience with UNIX or other true multi-user systems). Their vocabulary has little overlap with hackerdom's. Nevertheless, this lexicon covers much of it so the reader will be able to understand what goes by on bulletin-board systems.

Here is a brief guide to cracker and warez d00dz usage:

* Misspell frequently. The substitutions

phone => fone
freak => phreak

are obligatory.
* Always substitute `z's for `s's. (i.e. "codes" -> "codez").
* Type random emphasis characters after a post line (i.e. "Hey Dudes!#!$#$!#!$").
* Use the emphatic `k' prefix ("k-kool", "k-rad", "k-awesome") frequently.
* Abbreviate compulsively ("I got lotsa warez w/ docs").
* Substitute `0' for `o' ("r0dent", "l0zer").
* TYPE ALL IN CAPS LOCK, SO IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE YELLING ALL THE TIME.

These traits are similar to those of B1FF, who originated as a parody of naive BBS users. For further discussion of the pirate-board subculture, see lamer, elite, leech, poser, cracker, and especially warez d00dz.

SPAM:[from "Monty Python's Flying Circus"] 1. To crash a program by overrunning a fixed-size buffer with excessively large input data. See also buffer overflow, overrun screw, smash the stack. 2. To cause a newsgroup to be flooded with irrelevant or inappropriate messages. You can spam a newsgroup with as little as one well- (or ill-) planned message (e.g. asking "What do you think of abortion?" on soc.women). This is often done with cross-posting (e.g. any message which is crossposted to alt.rush-limbaugh and alt.politics.homosexuality will almost inevitably spam both groups). 3. To send many identical or nearly-identical messages separately to a large number of Usenet newsgroups. This is one sure way to infuriate nearly everyone on the Net.

The second and third definitions have become much more prevalent as the Internet has opened up to non-techies, and to many Usenetters sense 3 is now (1995) primary. In this sense the term has apparantly begun to go mainstream, though without its original sense or folkloric freight -- there is apparently a widespread belief among lusers that "spamming" is what happens when you dump cans of Spam into a revolving fan.

LAMMER: (prob. originated in skateboarder slang):Synonym for luser, not used much by hackers but common among warez d00dz, crackers, and phreakers. Oppose elite. Has the same connotations of self-conscious elitism that use of luser does among hackers.

Crackers also use it to refer to cracker wannabees. In phreak culture, a lamer is one who scams codes off others rather than doing cracks or really understanding the fundamental concepts. In warez d00dz culture, where the ability to wave around cracked commercial software within days of (or before) release to the commercial market is much esteemed, the lamer might try to upload garbage or shareware or something incredibly old (old in this context is read as a few years to anything older than 3 days).

CRACKER:One who breaks security on a system. Coined by hackers in defense against journalistic misuse of the term "hacker." The term "cracker" reflects a strong revulsion at the theft and vandalism perpetrated by cracking rings. There is far less overlap between hackerdom and crackerdom than most would suspect.

SNEAKER: An individual hired to break into places in order to test their security; analogous to "tiger team."

PHREAKER:/phreaking:The art and science of cracking the phone network (so as, for example, to make free long-distance calls). 2. By extension, security-cracking in any other context (especially, but not exclusively, on communications networks).

HACKER:A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities. 2. One who programs enthusiastically. 3. A person who is good at programming quickly. 4. An expert at a particular program, as in 'a Unix hacker'. 5. [deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. The correct term for this sense is "cracker."

WIZARD: A person who knows how a complex piece of software or hardware works; esp. someone who can find and fix bugs quickly in an emergency. Someone is a hacker if he or she has general hacking ability, but is a wizard only if he or she has detailed knowledge.

GURU::An expert. Implies not only wizard skill but also a history of being a knowledge resource for others. Less often, used (with a qualifier) for other experts on other systems.

Helping Hacker Culture Grow

If you enjoyed the Jargon File, please help the culture that created it grow and flourish. Here are several ways you can help:

* If you are a writer or journalist, don't say or write hacker when you mean cracker. If you work with writers or journalists, educate them on this issue and push them to do the right thing. If you catch a newspaper or magazine abusing the work `hacker', write them and straigten them out (this appendix includes a model letter).

* If you're a techie or computer hobbyist, get involved with one of the free Unixes. Toss out that lame Microsoft OS, or confine it to one disk partition and put Linux or FreeBSD or NetBSD on the other one. And the next time your friend or boss is thinking about some commercial software `solution' that costs more than it's worth, be ready to blow the competition away with free software running over i free Unix.

* Contribute to organizations like the Free Software Foundation that promote the production of high-quality free software. You can reach the Free Software Foundation at gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu, by phone at +1-617-542-5942, or by snail-mail at 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.

* Support the League for Programming Freedom, which opposes over-broad software patents that constantly threaten to blow up in hackers' faces, preventing them from developing innovative software for tomorrow's needs. You can reach the League for Programming Freedom at lpf@uunet.uu.net. by phone at +1 617 621 7084, or by snail-mail at 1 Kendall Square #143, P.O.Box 9171, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139 USA.

* If you do nothing else, please help fight government attempts to seize political control of Internet content and restrict strong cryptography. As TNHD III went to press, the so-called `Communications Decency Act' had just been declared "unconstitutional on its face" by a Federal court, but the government is expected to appeal. If it's still law when you read this, please join the effort by the Citizens' Internet Empowerment Coalition lawsuit to have the CDA quashed or repealed. Surf to the Center for Democracy and technology's home page at http://www.cdt.org to see what you can do to help fight censorship of the net.

Here's the text of a letter RMS wrote to the Wall Street Journal to complain about their policy of using "hacker" only in a pejorative sense. We hear that most major newspapers have the same policy. If you'd like to help change this situation, send your favorite newspaper the same letter -- or, better yet, write your own letter.

Dear Editor:

This letter is not meant for publication, although you can publish it if you wish. It is meant specifically for you, the editor, not the public.

I am a hacker. That is to say, I enjoy playing with computers -- working with, learning about, and writing clever computer programs. I am not a cracker; I don't make a practice of breaking computer security.

There's nothing shameful about the hacking I do. But when I tell people I am a hacker, people think I'm admitting something naughty -- because newspapers such as yours misuse the word "hacker", giving the impression that it means "security breaker" and nothing else. You are giving hackers a bad name.

The saddest thing is that this problem is perpetuated deliberately. Your reporters know the difference between "hacker" and "security breaker". They know how to make the distinction, but you don't let them! You insist on using "hacker" pejoratively. When reporters try to use another word, you change it. When reporters try to explain the other meanings, you cut it.

Of course, you have a reason. You say that readers have become used to your insulting usage of "hacker", so that you cannot change it now. Well, you can't undo past mistakes today; but that is no excuse to repeat them tomorrow.

If I were what you call a "hacker", at this point I would threaten to crack your computer and crash it. But I am a hacker, not a cracker. I don't do that kind of thing! I have enough computers to play with at home and at work; I don't need yours. Besides, it's not my way to respond to insults with violence. My response is this letter.

You owe hackers an apology; but more than that, you owe us ordinary respect.

Sincerely, etc.

Hope it helped :flop:

"The Heaven's Lights are fed by the energy generated inside the furnaces of Hell; I AM One Conductive Wire! "

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm » by Hackjames

@iamthatiam

That was very illustrative, thanks. Not really what I meant but I'm sure you addressed my curiosity somewhere in there.

The name is self-depreciating, by the way.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 05, 2011 9:25 pm » by Iamthatiam

hackjames wrote:@iamthatiam

That was very illustrative, thanks. Not really what I meant but I'm sure you addressed my curiosity somewhere in there.

No probs man :flop:

Hows that btw....i mean,self depreciative....Your nick or the Hacker's tag?

Not pushing you in personal revealing info though ok...if you dont like to be talking all cool!
:)

Conspirator

PostWed Apr 06, 2011 12:10 am » by Iamthatiam

hackjames wrote:@iamthatiam

You thought to had been "HackeD" by the System right? :mrgreen:

Then you was "Cracked",not Hacked,otherwise you'd never notice :flop:

Initiate

PostWed Apr 06, 2011 12:24 am » by Kurious

troll2rocks wrote:PSN is free by the way :flop:

Its free & its UTTER SHIT compared to live, I have both services so I can make that comment.

Twenty minutes to apply a update every time I buy a new game or don't play one for a while, FUCK THAT SHIT.

Waaaaayyyy to many cunts using USB hacks on COD games. The list is endless.

Playstation Network is balls.

Also for first person shooters the joypad is shite.

See you on Live for a game of Battlefield Bad Company 2 any time.
SHUT UP YOU FUCKING CONSPIRACY BASED LUNATIC

Super Moderator

PostWed Apr 06, 2011 12:32 am » by Troll2rocks

kurious wrote:
troll2rocks wrote:PSN is free by the way :flop:

Its free & its UTTER SHIT compared to live, I have both services so I can make that comment.

Twenty minutes to apply a update every time I buy a new game or don't play one for a while, FUCK THAT SHIT.

Waaaaayyyy to many cunts using USB hacks on COD games. The list is endless.

Playstation Network is balls.

Also for first person shooters the joypad is shite.

See you on Live for a game of Battlefield Bad Company 2 any time.

I also have an xbox, which I consider total shite, sorry my opinion upsets you, see you on xbox for a game of Killzone 3 lmao.
Censorship debunking & disinformation, it's all in a days work.

PreviousNext