Ham Radio chat; conspiracy or natural causes?

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 12:58 pm » by Aardvaaks

I was listening in on some hardened ham radio operators yesterday on the 2 m wavelength, and as is often the case the subject was on the technical, propagation of radio waves etc. One said that in nearly 50 years of listening including abroad but mainly Europe, He cannot remember a quieter time on the channels?
They mentioned our Sun's activity in the last month which has affected the Ionisphere, but thoughts concerning chemtrails and Haarp also spring to mind, and what about other parts of the world?
' I'm leaving because the weather is too good. I hate London when it's not raining'.
Groucho Marx

Writer

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 pm » by Biggumsmcdee1

Dunno dude, could be declining interest in ham radio?
Sry, I don't really know much about it. Do u mean 'quiet' in terms of people talking or in terms of something else?

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 5:11 pm » by Flecktarn

ham radio is quiet due to the advance in technology ie mobile phones skype etc and forums like this and you dont need a amateur licence for the web ,remember the 80s when cb was all the rage mainly because it was new and exciting but even cb radio has died,,, mainly in europe being used by truckers and offroaders it was the mobile phone of its day in some sense ,,shame realy because if the shit hits the fan a cb or amateur set could be our only form of long distance coms
ImageImage

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 7:20 pm » by E6722maj

my dad's into ham radio, he's done it for years. i can't see the attraction myself, but he digs it. his radio room is crammed with various radios, mics, cables etc, and in the back garden he planted this discreet little aerial.. (goes up to sixty feet)
whatever

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 7:38 pm » by Aardvaaks

biggumsmcdee1 wrote:Dunno dude, could be declining interest in ham radio?
Sry, I don't really know much about it. Do u mean 'quiet' in terms of people talking or in terms of something else?

I take the point made that mobile comma has come a long way in the last few years especially concerning the cost of buying and using a mobile phone. The issue concerned the hard core ham users and the constant relation with propagation of the radio wave through the Ionisphere, a reduction in contacts, could be an issue with pollution, or natural phenomena or a combination?
' I'm leaving because the weather is too good. I hate London when it's not raining'.
Groucho Marx

Super Moderator

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 7:49 pm » by Slith

Is the ham/cb radio still a big thing with truckers or are they using other modes these days?

I'm in desperate need of a 6 month vacation... twice a year.

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 9:32 pm » by Aardvaaks

dlslith wrote:Is the ham/cb radio still a big thing with truckers or are they using other modes these days?

Hey Slith :flop: hope all well with you mate?

Regarding your comment I think there is still real distinction between the bandwidths and equipment which are used by the Hams being far more extensive so reaching farther afield and also the realms of research and experimentation which they undertake.
Just take a look at the aerial From e672 dad, posted earlier.
Groucho Marx

Super Moderator

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 9:58 pm » by Slith

Will do Aards. Thanks. Good to see ya. Cheers mate!

I'm in desperate need of a 6 month vacation... twice a year.