Have you protected you data from EMP/Solarflares?

Conspirator

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 pm » by Phoenix rising

Just wondering if anyone has taken any steps of protecting their data in an EMP event, harddrives, portable radios, i'm sure many will have lifetimes worth of work they don't want to lose as i have.

there seems so be a lot of info out there but probably the simplest way is burying it 2 feet or more underground, i am just curious are CD's safe from such an event because CD's can be a good way of storing data and they don't have electric components or would they still be affected ?

here are a few links with info on how to protect you're most important devices, its important to note that it is a waste of time protecting luxury good such as TV's and cell phones because the networks would be fried anyway, things to protect are Data, a decent wind up radio and CB radio in case there are protected transmitters, solar chargers to charge any good you may have protected.

if anyone knows more on this subject please interject, what other important electrical's should we protect and do you know of another method of doing it

http://set2survive.com/EMP_survivors_notebook_1.html

http://ibloga.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/ho ... -from.html

Some initial thoughts on EMP protection from the US military packaging division.

A continuously sealed metal barrier has proven to be very effective in preventing EM/HPM energy from reaching susceptible electronic or explosive components. Exterior packaging fabricated from plastic, wood or other fibre materials provides almost no protection form EM/HPM threats. The metal enclosure can be very thin provided there are no openings (tears, pin holes, doors, incomplete seams) that would allow microwaves to enter. Sealed barrier bags that incorporate a thin layer of aluminium foil and are primarily used to provide water vapour proof protection to an item, can add a great deal of resistance to EM/HPM penetration.

A number of cylindrical and rectangular steel containers have been developed by the Packaging Division for a wide range of munitions, weapon systems and associated components. The cylindrical containers are end opening and the rectangular containers are top opening. All the containers have synthetic rubber gaskets that allow them to maintain a +3 psi environmental seal to the outside environment. The containers are constructed using seam welding to provide for continuous metal contact on all surfaces of the body assembly. The cover openings have been held to a minimum and the sealing gaskets positioned in a manner to allow overlapping metal parts to add additional protection to these areas. Microwaves are very adept at bouncing around and working their way into even the smallest opening. Tests of the cylindrical and rectangular steel containers used by this organization have demonstrated a high level of protection in preventing EM/HPM energy from entering the container.

The key is to use a metal enclosure and eliminate or minimize any openings. Where openings are needed they should be surrounded to the greatest extent possible by continuous metal and in the case of a gasket, metal sheathing or mesh can be placed around the elastometer material or conductive metal moulded into the gasket. The closer the surrounding container comes to a continuous metal skin the more protection that will be provided.

High quality gaskets, utilizing either a mesh or embedded conductive metal design, are very expensive. They add a magnitude of cost to a normal gasket and can easily double the price of a container similar to the ones mentioned above.

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/EMP.protection.html
We live a one directional life in an omnidirectional existence

Super Moderator

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 pm » by -Marduk-

Thread moved to Survival & Prepping.

:flop:
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Super Moderator

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:36 pm » by domdabears

I think about it, but I've never put anything in a faraday cage.

I do have an old popcorn tin. I should store a small radio in it. wouldn't hurt.

These would be fine. Just insulate it with cardboard.

I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Conspirator

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:55 pm » by Phoenix rising

Cheers fellas, this look handy, although its one of the more expensive wind up/solar powered radio/torches, it also charges, retails at £45 here, will be cheaper stateside

ETON - FR360

We live a one directional life in an omnidirectional existence

Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook