Heart failure research to find cure using zebrafish

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 11:35 pm » by Noentry

The British Heart Foundation is to begin a major new research programme to find a cure for heart failure, a condition affecting 750,000 UK people.

This disease of the heart muscle, often caused by a heart attack, is one of the UK's leading causes of disability.

The charity hopes to harness the miraculous healing abilities of zebrafish, a species that is able to mend its own heart muscle.

Ultimately, the research may make this possible for people to do so too.

Professor Peter Weissberg, medical director at the BHF, said: "Since the BHF's inception 50 years ago, we've made great strides in medical research to better diagnose and treat people with all kinds of heart problems.

"But the biggest issue that still eludes us is how to help people once their heart has been damaged by a heart attack.

"Scientifically, mending human hearts is an achievable goal and we really could make recovering from a heart attack as simple as getting over a broken leg."

But he said the research will require £50m in investment to make this a reality over the next 10 years. The charity hopes to raise the funds though donations.

The Mending Broken Hearts project will involve stem cell research and developmental biology to work out how to repair or replace damaged heart muscle.

Zebrafish are useful to scientists because they have a fully functioning simple heart and circulatory system. If part of their heart is removed, they can grow it back in a matter of weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12322819
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Super Moderator

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 11:46 pm » by The57ironman

...isn't that interesting..?

...more genetic manipulation.. :headscratch:

.....do they have anything in the works for failure of the comprehension muscles...?

:cheers:

................................................... CHA-CHINGLE BELLS .................................................
ImageImageImage

Super Moderator

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 12:05 am » by Slith

Very cool thread. Maybe they should do more research into the creatures in the sea. Sharks are immune to cancer ie. These creatures have been around much longer than us. There is much to be learned

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 12:09 am » by Shemagh

Dose this mean we are going to see an extinction of Zebrafish in the wild 'cause us humans have found a need for it?

Super Moderator

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 1:57 am » by Slith

Shemagh wrote:Dose this mean we are going to see an extinction of Zebrafish in the wild 'cause us humans have found a need for it?

I wouldn't bet against it. We being the higher life forms et al. :badair:

Super Moderator

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 2:57 am » by domdabears

Reminds me of the new Spiderman with the lizard. The scientist tries to take lizard dna to help amputees grow their limbs back, because lizards can do so.

Initiate

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 4:18 am » by I2haveseen

Hmffff. Lucky fish eh? Being a model organism an all.
Hey trolls.... If you want to rip me a new one, You better have a sharp set of nails.
▲Not an invitation peeps..... It's a warning.

Initiate

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 7:19 am » by Tonyw

I remember reading an article on this 20 years ago, and it's just now they have decided to something about it. AND they have known for years that Sharks don't get Cancer but it's all down to the medical boffins. If it's not financially viable shove it on the shelf.
I am what i am.

War does not determine who is right, War determines who is left. [img]http://i47.tinypic.com/5aro28.gif[/img]

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 7:27 am » by Iwanci

Sorry, I don't see any negative in this story, from where I am sitting it is all positive.

The fish has a greater chance of extinction if we found it to be a tasty meal rather than a practical medical application. What I find is that ONLY when there is a real benefit to humanity are we likely to do everything we can to keep something from becoming extinct.. so in these terms, the fish is safe.

I believe that the animal and plant world have much to offer us in terms of medical revalations, perhaps we will find the best medical remedies come from the simplest of life forms.

The Zebra fish has been used before.... The National University of Singapore created genetically modified zebra fish that can produce an edible vaccine for Hepatitis B in their muscles.

One day we will all live longer, we will all have consumed or partaken in genetically modified something or other and we will not be as we once were.. then again that is probably true of us already, think we are living longer due to our clean air or healthy diets??? Think again, we have ALL already partaken in something that was once on a petrie dish in a lab somewhere, and no matter if you run and hide in the forest and live like a hermit, you are already infected with our future.

Embrace the race.... mankind did not make it to the top of the food chain by sheer chance and it will not likely fall from it without a solid fight...

:cheers:
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 9:06 pm » by Noentry

The British Heart Foundation has already raised £22 million of the required £50 million .
Please send them a donation, I found out yesterday, when they came knocking on my door looking for a donation.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=14080

A new piece of research shows it may one day be possible to use drugs to help new human heart cells develop.

Scientists say they’ve developed small molecules called Cardionogens than can cause new heart cells to develop in zebrafish. Their discovery, published in Chemistry and Biology, shows drugs could one day be developed to help patients with heart failure caused by a heart attack.

Having heart failure means that your heart is not pumping blood around the body as well as it used to. The debilitating condition affects more than 750,000 people in the UK.

A similar approach may lead to the development of a drug that can help people who have heart failure

Professor Peter Weissberg, our Medical Director, said: “These scientists have given us an exciting glimpse of what might be possible for heart failure patients.

“Their work shows small molecules, that can be modified to become drugs, could be used to create new heart cells. This research may have involved zebrafish but it provides real promise that a similar approach may ultimately lead to the development of a drug that can help people who have debilitating heart failure.”
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne