Help me with this picture

Super Moderator

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 am » by domdabears

This is facing the east. Its always there around 7pm US central. There is a nice crescent moon below this star or planet or whatever. Does anyone know what this Planet is (if it's a planet). As you see in the picture, it's pretty big and it's always this big. It's 2 or 3 times the size of the north star. And it is not the north star. Also i took this with my phone, so it was a little shaky.

Image deleted years ago.

This wasn't a "planet x" suggestion.

Get a life.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 3:13 am » by domdabears

I just took this picture too. So if you go outside you might see the same thing too(where ever you are).
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Writer

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 am » by 3starmark

I'm from Holland and i saw it to tonight as your picture show.
Better, i have been looking at it for 12 jears now and it is getting brighter and brighter evey time.
Dunno who ore what it is but it's beautiful, hope someone else knows with star this is :flop:

Super Moderator

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 3:29 am » by domdabears

slushpup wrote:
domdabears wrote:I just took this picture too. So if you go outside you might see the same thing too(where ever you are).

Check this current page of todays sky.. I think it is Venus.. I sound like a debunker,... LOL

http://www.earthsky.org/skywatching/

LOL no you dont sound like a debunker. I pretty much know its a planet or a star because it goes with the orbit of time. I would just like to know what the name of it is, because i been seeing it for a while now. Its the only star out there that gives off rays when i look at it. It's just too big and bright to be a star, so i figured its one of the planets.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 3:31 am » by domdabears

And yes slushpup. that link is exactly what is how it looks tonight. Good to know. Thank you.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Initiate

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 am » by Alexrubic

I would have said it was Venus. I often see it as the first bright star to appear shortly after sunset and the last one still visible just before sunrise. This is why Venus is called both 'evening star' and 'morning star' and also 'Lucifer' = light bearer!
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

James Thomson (1700-1748)

Super Moderator

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 3:38 am » by domdabears

alexrubic wrote:I would have said it was Venus. I often see it as the first bright star to appear shortly after sunset and the last one still visible just before sunrise. This is why Venus is called both 'evening star' and 'morning star' and also 'Lucifer' = light bearer!

I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I just been looking at this thing for so long, its nice to finally know what it is. Im not much of an astrologer or whatever you wanna call it.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Conspirator

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 3:42 am » by Reinaul

Indeed Slushpup.. it's Venus
“The important thing is not to stop questioning.”
-Albert Einstein

Be Your Own Messiah

Initiate

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 5:58 am » by Rawdney

It is definately Venus. About 2 months ago, Venus, Jupiter, and the moon were only inches apart one night. Last summer Jupiter was as bright as Venus is now. Beautiful eh?

If you ever want to know if what you are seeing in the sky is a star or planet, you can download this free software, and it displays the sky from your location in real-time.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Have fun!

PostFri Jan 30, 2009 6:38 am » by Bcgolddigger

it's Venus

There are 7 visible celstial bodies in the night sky just as there are 7 days of the week, if you use the English language and the French language too it's easy as you can now see, English first / then French. ,
Monday / Lundi is lunar day for the moon.
Tuesday / Mardi is for Mars.
Wednesday / Mercredi is for Mercury.
Thursday / Jeudi is for Jupiter.
Friday / Vendredi is for venus.
Saturday / Samedi is for Saturn.
Sunday / Dimanche is for the Sun.

This is where the names for the 7 days of the week come from.
As you all have been told now Pluto is no longer considdered a planet any more because it is too small to be considdered one. so now we only have 8 planets left in our solar system.

Back when the days of the week were named people could only see 7 celestial bodies in the night sky and they are all named above. They are in this order starting from the Sun, then Mercury, Venus, Earth/moon, Mars, Asteroid belt, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, then the new non-planet Pluto. then the ort cloud then deep space......

Since Venus is closer to the sun than we are and it is about the same size as earth its very bright and is only seen during dusk or dawn / evening or morning and the only other bright object is Jupiter which is huge compared to earth, it's diamiter is actually 11 times that of earth, if you get out a pare of binoculars you can see it's 4 largest moons, Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto, these are the largest which you can see with a pare of binoculars, check it out, go on take a look, if you don't believe me. take a look over the winter time you will see the moons move in relation to it's host planet Jupiter.
Check out this link:
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/pro ... ct=Jupiter
check out this link too:
http://www.earthsky.org/radioshows/5294 ... ruary-2009

So if you see a bright object in the sky as bright as this object and it is in the same plane as our sun traverses the sky it can only be Jupiter or Venus. If the sun has set and it is dark out it's most likely Jupiter but if it is still twilight it's Venus. but if it's not one of these two it could be a satalite or one of ours or an Alien Space Ship, ( I wish it were because I want them to come and visit us and share what they know with us all, I'm a believer)

Since our humans eyes are not big enough we can't see Uranus or Neptune other wise we may actually have 8 or 9 days in the week, LOL.

I've been an avid astronomer for years especially when I was younger. I hope this helps.

Next