High-Speed Robots.

Conspirator

PostWed Jan 19, 2011 8:09 am » by Punjedi

You know for years we have had to endure the mind-numbingly mundane speed of most
robotics out there.

Sure they can mimic speech, sight, sound, etc...

They can even walk, run (sorta), hop, skip, jump, and ultimately fall flat on their face.

We have to wonder though, these are computer controlled machines. Why do we not see
more development for faster technology?

So I did a little digging to see what was out there.

I found a few interesting tidbits. If anyone has any more I'd love to see.

Maybe even have sort of a "who can post the fastest robot"

Can be anything except flying. Doesn't count :)

This first one is rather amazing, but if you don't laugh during the video , you have no sense of geek humor :)

Upload to Disclose.tv

Next, Chess anyone?
[youtube]yrBB82RDBII&feature=related[/youtube]

Lastly...Not something I would want running after me down the street :)
[youtube]4XiRxNkZleY&feature=related[/youtube]
Nihil Sine Fide!

Initiate

PostWed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 am » by Savvymalloy

I think we're pretty much getting to the point where the only thing thats really holding back the development of a truly anthropomorphic robot is the development of its 'AI'. But I honestly dont think we're that far away from this achievment either. I'd give it another 10-20 years (At least from a Public/Corporate stance) before we're all kicking back enjoying a cold Beer served to us by our Robo-Butlers :cheers:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Plus you also gotta think of the possibility that the long sought after AI programming is already in existence and is being kept under wraps by the Military/Corporate Industrial Complex... It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was, in fact, the case. :nwo:
Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚ Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚ Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚

H҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘Ȅ̐̑̒̚̕̚ IS C̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̚̕̚̕̚̕̚̕̚̕̚OMI҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘NG > ͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿̿̚ ҉ ҉҉̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑ ͡҉҉

Initiate

PostThu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 am » by Xxsparklexx

@ punjedi

Just wanted to reply to give you a thumbs up :flop: :wink:

I'm pretty interested in the field of robotics and particularly how robotics are going to influence the working life of many people...
Though at first glance, there's a huge (positive) impact on production... speaking in business terms.
But on second glance, this also means that a lot of low-wage jobs (packing,.. for one) will become obsolete, without having alternatives...

Just curious how this technological revolution will turn out... :think:
"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant with the weak and wrong. Sometime in your life, you will have been all of these."

Conspirator

PostThu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 am » by Daemonfoe

xxsparklexx wrote:But on second glance, this also means that a lot of low-wage jobs (packing,.. for one) will become obsolete, without having alternatives...

If the education systems wasn't such a failure people would instead be working less low wage jobs and more robot design/building and maintenance jobs.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Initiate

PostThu Jan 20, 2011 9:51 am » by Xxsparklexx

daemonfoe wrote:
xxsparklexx wrote:But on second glance, this also means that a lot of low-wage jobs (packing,.. for one) will become obsolete, without having alternatives...

If the education systems wasn't such a failure people would instead be working less low wage jobs and more robot design/building and maintenance jobs.

Don't know if I want to go into that kind of discussion :scary: but where do you think the "faillure" lies in all of this, daemonfoe ?

The system or the people ? :headscratch:

From my POV, the possibilities of education are limitless... well, nowadays, anyway...

:peep:
"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant with the weak and wrong. Sometime in your life, you will have been all of these."

Conspirator

PostFri Jan 21, 2011 2:03 am » by Daemonfoe

xxsparklexx wrote:
daemonfoe wrote:

Don't know if I want to go into that kind of discussion :scary: but where do you think the "faillure" lies in all of this, daemonfoe ?

The system or the people ? :headscratch:

From my POV, the possibilities of education are limitless... well, nowadays, anyway...

:peep:

Well, you can't blame the system without blaming the people, because we are the only ones who can do anything to change it.

That said: The system is flawed. We pay teachers little money to do their job. Any real skilled teacher is going to teach somewhere outside of the public education system for someone who will pay them what they are worth. What we get for our children are underpaid sub-par teachers (for the most part, some teachers are still very good, SOME), who accept this low pay and who would otherwise be working some other low wage job (in this system).

The phrase, "You get what you pay for." comes to mind here. If we want real education we need to pay for it. This brings up another point that really irritates me:

Every time we throw money at the public schools they squander it on new computers or a new sports stadium, or some other useless material thing. The only way money is going to help public education is if they use it to hire actual skilled teachers who have the ability to keep children interested.

Another issue is the price of college. It's not only that some people can't afford to go to college, but generally people don't end up in a career relating to what they learned in college once they finish. The fact that the price is so high pretty much stops everyone from going BACK a second time to learn what they realize they should have taken classes for the first time.

Since college is such a huge requirement in today's society, it don't make sense that it's also not part of the public school system.

This system effectively works as a way to keep the classes clearly separate. Not to mention the fact that the most expensive colleges are regarded as a better education. Only the super rich can afford quality education.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Initiate

PostFri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 am » by Xxsparklexx

@ daemonfoe

I completely understand the issues you've brought up and you do make some valid points, but where I live (Belgium) these issues don't really apply. :wink:

Teachers here are paid pretty well.

Prices for higher education (university, polytech university) range from a measly 80 € (bursary-student) to a max amount of 568 € a year, so a complete 4 or 5 year education would cost you in between 400 and 3000 € (= 540 to 4000 $) :mrcool:

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Belgium

An education is only part of the life-equation : most people with university-degrees I know (scientific background), ended up in a whole different field once they started working, myself included ! :D

It does take some self-discipline and effort to get educated in other subjects, once you've finished your (higher) education, but there are a variety of institutions present that provide all kinds of courses, be it during the day, in the evening, or by self-study.
That's kinda the thing I was trying to convey earlier with my system vs people faillure question. :wink:

Initiate

PostFri Jan 21, 2011 9:12 am » by Xxsparklexx

Just to stay on topic and not piss Punjedi off.. :lol:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Some industrial applications...

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

Well, you get the idea...

Random cute robotic ending..

Upload to Disclose.tv

:D

Conspirator

PostFri Jan 21, 2011 1:45 pm » by Daemonfoe

xxsparklexx wrote:@ daemonfoe

I completely understand the issues you've brought up and you do make some valid points, but where I live (Belgium) these issues don't really apply. :wink:

Teachers here are paid pretty well.

Prices for higher education (university, polytech university) range from a measly 80 € (bursary-student) to a max amount of 568 € a year, so a complete 4 or 5 year education would cost you in between 400 and 3000 € (= 540 to 4000 $) :mrcool:

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Belgium

An education is only part of the life-equation : most people with university-degrees I know (scientific background), ended up in a whole different field once they started working, myself included ! :D

It does take some self-discipline and effort to get educated in other subjects, once you've finished your (higher) education, but there are a variety of institutions present that provide all kinds of courses, be it during the day, in the evening, or by self-study.
That's kinda the thing I was trying to convey earlier with my system vs people faillure question. :wink:

Point taken, but in the US if you want to get trained in something for example: being an electrician, you need to go through interviews, take aptitude test, and if you pass those and score high enough in the interview to make it on to the waiting list you still end up behind 400 other people who will only get to begin schooling once the economy picks up and they get hired as apprentices. Not only that but you can't become a journeyman w/o first becoming an apprentice which is only possible through the process I just described.

Personally I've never been one to take much interest in school. I'm the sort that if I take real interest in something I will take the initiative to learn it on my own. At 25 I took it upon myself to learn and become proficient in software programming. This is something that I had a true desire for, and if I had gone straight to college from high school I never would have taken programming classes.

Having said that: Most people don't take it upon themselves to learn anything, and really do need to enter college or some kind of apprenticeship to really learn their trade.

Initiate

PostFri Jan 21, 2011 3:43 pm » by Djpakkal

savvymalloy wrote:I think we're pretty much getting to the point where the only thing thats really holding back the development of a truly anthropomorphic robot is the development of its 'AI'. But I honestly dont think we're that far away from this achievment either. I'd give it another 10-20 years (At least from a Public/Corporate stance) before we're all kicking back enjoying a cold Beer served to us by our Robo-Butlers :cheers:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Plus you also gotta think of the possibility that the long sought after AI programming is already in existence and is being kept under wraps by the Military/Corporate Industrial Complex... It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was, in fact, the case. :nwo:

I thought there was a pub in london where you get served by robots , but yet again it could be a dream also :dancing: