How can an atheist believe in ghosts?

Super Moderator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 am » by Spock

Poooooot wrote:
Jet17 wrote:One only needs to look at the double slit experiment to realize that the act of consciousness is what you would think of as a soul.

I started to look this up and realized I had seen a special about it on TV a few months back, but I am not getting the correlation between the two. :headscratch:

Double slit experiment illustrates how perception alters reality. It's crazy.

This is from one of my all-time fave movies, and these two clips, to me, explain a lot about "God" and why it is impossible for us to fully grasp the nature of His creation from our current state. However, we being in the image of God (a conscious spirit with free will and the ability to rationalize and create) will hopefully understand these things in our next incarnation.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 am » by Iwanci

These are all assumptions based on people's beliefs.

One can 'believe' without being religious. Atheism to me means the belief in a god. It has been mentioned before and I concur that you may indeed believe in paranormal activities without believing in a god.

We, as humans, have an inherent want to 'understand' our environment and everything we experience. The age old question of 'what is our purpose' needs to be answered by many. The reality that we may exist simply to exist is too difficult to comprehend because it devalues the meaning of our lives. So we seek a greater purpose to make our lives seem more comprehensive or planned, there surely must be a reason to our being and surely what we are doing here must serve a greater purpose, surely.

The reality of our existence is not known to anyone, one thing is for certain, no one has truly come back from the dead to speak of the afterlife, apologies to any christian who believes that Jesus died and was resurected, I dont believe this story (not to say you shouldn't).

So to answer the question, I believe that belief and atheism do not need to co-exist, they can be quite separate and in some cases may actually contradict each other. This inflexibility or vastness of belief makes it impossible to credit or discredit anyone's belief, so the reality for me is freedom to believe because all beliefs are valid to the believer and that is the only context one can take these within.

Ghosts, spirits, demons, re-incarnation, afterlife, heaven, hell, purgatory, call them whatever you like, to me they are simply labels we have placed on things we do not understand in order to give them some meaning that enables us to think we understand, the reality is that we do not, for all we know none of us may actually be here and you may all be a figment of my imagination.
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Initiate

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 1:08 pm » by Boatman

I believe in ghosts or spirits, and i'm not religious. I have believed in them ever since i was 3, and i've seen a few.
A full bodied apparition of a girl about 18 dressed in a milk maids dress when i was 10. She had the brightest blue/violet eyes i have seen.

Initiate

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 1:17 pm » by Pitchke

There is something called as Implicit and explicit atheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_a ... it_atheism

And there is something called I don't believe in Religion because books like the Bible, quran, ... are written by humans about things they don't always understand and many time rewritten, badly translated or censored by other humans.

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 2:22 pm » by Poooooot

Richc wrote:A ghost could be a recording of a previous event that has been captured in the enviroment around us and certain people in certain circumstances trigger the recording.
What they then see is an electro-magnetic image of an event long gone.

Daemonfoe wrote:Spirits or souls in my mind are a form of energy. Like a pocket of gas or a liquid in space, if not in a vessel, flowing freely and mixing with other energy or other souls.

While in this vessel, I am formed as an individual being. Like an individual glass or water. But when the vessel can no longer hold the energy, I mix with other souls. And when babies are born, perhaps this energy is pulled from the mix, and a new mixture of soul energy is contained as long as the vessel is alive. Part of my old soul, part of some other guy's soul, maybe some squirrel.

Since humans live for 60-100 years, it wouldn't be a surprise to me if they were so used to being in a vessel that it took time for the energy to relax and flow back into the mix. Especially when there is trauma or unfinished business.

Thanks for your input, guys! I have always assumed that ghosts were just human souls that had not found their way to "the light" after passing. There are lots of theories out there, and no one really knows for sure what the truth is. It's great to hear y'all's opinions! :flop:
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 2:32 pm » by Noentry

I would say yes.

The spirit world is just part of the construct that is life.
No need for a God or a creator, all we need is life.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:03 pm » by Germanpils

i started to believe that in the universe we live in, everything we know is possible, as far as for ghosts, i'll have to wait to see a ghost my own before i talk about it. im just not a believer yet.
what ghost believers consider as ghosts, might be a normal world just in another dimension.

but what bugs me is what causes that, that possible ghosts for a few seconds touch into ours?
maybe a collision somewhere we cant say, somewhere here, in one part of our universe,
or a parts part of it. note we dont even see a galaxy there

what im trying to say we cant even compare ourselves to being like microbes to the universe, we would be still too big, way too big, so... everything is possible
Last edited by Germanpils on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, you don't see with your eyes,
you see with your brain and the more
words your brain has, the more things you can see.
(KRS-ONE)

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:04 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

Poooooot wrote:As wayward teenagers, my best friend and I dabbled with Ouija boards, and we both have had experiences with what we believe to be ghosts. She is an atheist and I am not.

I was not raised in a religious household. As a child, I really had no opinion either way. I bounced back and forth between atheism and agnosticism throughout my teen/early adult years, but once I became a mother and really started thinking about things, I became a believer. I still do not attend church (I'm not a fan of "organized religion," I feel if you choose to worship, you may do so in your home.), but since I believe in God (When I think of God, I do not picture an old man in the clouds, btw) as our creator and Christ as the son / his human form on Earth, I suppose I would fall under the Christian umbrella.

bla bla bla

Anyways, my line of thinking is this:

-> We as humans have souls (well, technically, we as souls have human bodies, but tomato/tomahto)
-> Souls leave the body after the body dies. Souls do not die / ie, there is an "afterlife"
-> The fact that humans (and animals) have souls, shows that we are more than just decaying organic matter that spontaneously combusted out of nothing 14 billion years ago

So, atheists, I have legit questions if you don't mind... Where do souls come from? Where do they go after the body dies? How do you explain ghosts without taking souls into account? Long story short, if you are an atheist, how do you explain souls that are trapped on this earthly plane after the body dies (ghosts)?

I've asked her (my best friend) how she can believe in an afterlife without believing in God or some higher power, and she doesn't really have an answer. Does anyone else here share her beliefs? How do you explain an afterlife if you do not believe in a creator?

I look forward to reading your ideas/explanations. Thank you for your time.

1 grammar edit

are-ghosts-and-spirits-interdimensional-beings-t73319.html?hilit=ghosts%20inter%20dimensional
Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Super Moderator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:32 pm » by The57ironman

Poooooot wrote: How can a soul exist without a higher plane, or a higher energy, or a higher being, or however you choose to describe "God?"

...i swear , i'll do my best to ''come back'' and let you know ,
after i leave my pile of decaying organic matter.....

...s'all i got........... :mrcool:

:cheers: poooooot....ask your children , they're probably closer to the source than we are.... :P

................................................... CHA-CHINGLE BELLS .................................................
ImageImageImage

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:33 pm » by Poooooot

The ghosts I've either encountered, or known people to encounter, or have read about, or watched on television... more than half of them were found to be people that had once been alive. Most of those were people that died tragically and are still in the house they once lived, or at the place they died, etc. Children, teenagers, and kind women seem to be the ones that do not cause harm and just hang out. :ghost:
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

PreviousNext