How can an atheist believe in ghosts?

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:34 pm » by Poooooot

The57ironman wrote:
Poooooot wrote: How can a soul exist without a higher plane, or a higher energy, or a higher being, or however you choose to describe "God?"

...i swear , i'll do my best to ''come back'' and let you know ,
after i leave my pile of decaying organic matter.....

...s'all i got........... :mrcool:

:cheers: poooooot....ask your children , they're probably closer to the source than we are.... :P

lol, I'm gonna hold you to that! :cheers:
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Conspirator

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 5:42 am » by Iwanci

...or... ghosts could simply be people's wishful thinking...??

I mean someone dies, and another person swears they can sense that persons presence? Hmmm, how about recorded cases where someone loses a limb and the person swear he/she can still feel the limb... but its not there... ? same /same??

Just saying... maybe our brains are capable of more than we would like to think, maybe we could live a whole different existence within a dream or thought? Maybe we can see ghosts because we would truly like to?

maybe?
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Conspirator

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 4:28 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

Iwanci wrote:...or... ghosts could simply be people's wishful thinking...??

I mean someone dies, and another person swears they can sense that persons presence? Hmmm, how about recorded cases where someone loses a limb and the person swear he/she can still feel the limb... but its not there... ? same /same??

Just saying... maybe our brains are capable of more than we would like to think, maybe we could live a whole different existence within a dream or thought? Maybe we can see ghosts because we would truly like to?

maybe?

phan·tom also fan·tom (fntm)
n.
a. Something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality; a ghost or an apparition.
b. Something elusive or delusive.
2. An image that appears only in the mind; an illusion.
3. Something dreaded or despised.
adj.
1. Resembling, characteristic of, or being a phantom; illusive.
2. Fictitious; nonexistent:

:flop:

Conspirator

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 12:59 am » by Iwanci

Cheers Fatdawg... I didn't even look it up :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Conspirator

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 am » by Doogle

Well, I don't think an afterlife has to include a deity. In fact, why do people think that?

Our physical bodies are essentially powered by an energy, and given that energy cannot be destroyed, only converted, it has to go somewhere, so, for example, do you think a caterpillar thinks it is dying when it gets ready to go into a chrysalis, only to awaken as a butterfly?

Sorry, been drinking.

Look up the theories of Nigel Kerner.

Super Moderator

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 am » by Spock

Many atheists have a problem with the idea of a God that has no creator and nothing came before God - however they don't have a problem with the idea of everything in the universe never having anything before it. That nothing set nothing into everything.

Whatever notioned the intention behind the initial spark of the creation of everything, is God.

Conspirator

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 2:04 am » by Poooooot

Spock wrote:Many atheists have a problem with the idea of a God that has no creator and nothing came before God - however they don't have a problem with the idea of everything in the universe never having anything before it. That nothing set nothing into everything.

Whatever notioned the intention behind the initial spark of the creation of everything, is God.

I have a buddy thy thinks the Big Bang IS (was?) god. :mrgreen:
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Conspirator

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 7:19 am » by Daemonfoe

Spock wrote:Many atheists have a problem with the idea of a God that has no creator and nothing came before God - however they don't have a problem with the idea of everything in the universe never having anything before it. That nothing set nothing into everything.

That's why I'm neither atheist or religious. Neither makes sense to me. I don't think agnostic quite describes how I feel either.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Conspirator

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 am » by Iwanci

Same here Daemonfoe... neither makes sense to me..

God? Nope, at least not in the way it is portrayed in the texts..

Atheists, nope, how can all this be from non of this?

So back round we go... unless.. we are actually not even here? and YOU are ALL a just in my mind?

Have I created you all (in my mind)?
Is what I see what I have placed there?
Is my life endless by my own design?
Do I die on earth and realise that I was never even on earth?
Will I awaken only to find I am asleep?
Will I fall asleep only to awaken?

Are these not the age old questions that have led us here?

Or

Are we ALL living n our own universes and each runs parallel to our own ,each begining and ending in different scenarios?

Am I that I am?
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Super Moderator

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 12:43 pm » by Spock

The (maybe scary is not the correct term) but the nothingness, like that of anesthesia, would be the dread in having no hope in a God or afterlife. Those last moments to the unbeliever that they are about to switch off forever, as the light dims to a speck and clicks off like an old tube TV.

At least with anesthesia there is the knowledge that you will wake back up.

Brings up another question, where do you go when under anesthesia? There is NOTHING, it's blank. It's like breath and count to 3, then immediately someone is telling you to wake up and it's 2 hours later. You have effectively been turned off.

PreviousNext