How co2 in blood could explain near death experiences

Conspirator

PostThu Apr 08, 2010 7:49 am » by bugmenot

How carbon dioxide in the blood could be responsible for near-death experiences :look: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -gas-.html

Some say their life flashed before their eyes, others talk of an out-of-body floating sensation or an intense feeling of peace.

Now scientists believe they can explain what causes the near-death experiences reported by thousands of patients on the operating table.

A study of heart attack victims has found a link between them and high levels of carbon dioxide in the blood.

Towards the light: People who have out-of-body experiences on the operating table may have high levels of carbon dioxide in their blood

A fifth of those whose heart stopped during cardiac arrest claim to have had an unusual experience. These include feelings of calm, travelling down tunnels towards lights and encounters with dead people.

The explanation, according to researchers, may be that excess carbon dioxide alters the chemical balance of the brain - 'tricking' it into seeing things.

They studied 52 'flatliners' - people who were resuscitated after their heart stopped.

Those with higher concentrations of the gas in their breath and arteries were more likely to have an unusual experience, the Slovenian scientists told the journal Critical Care.

Once someone's heart stops in cardiac arrest and they stop breathing, consciousness is lost within seconds.

The brain, however, can survive unharmed for several minutes.

It is during this that out of body experiences are thought to happen.

British expert Dr Sam Parnia, of Southampton University, said that high levels of carbon dioxide indicated a patient has had a 'good' resuscitation - meaning doctors had ensured a good flow of blood to the brain.

And if a patient's had a 'good' resuscitation, then they may be more likely to remember their out of body experience, Dr Parnia said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -gas-.html :look:

Conspirator

PostThu Apr 08, 2010 8:04 am » by Reinaul

Co2 is poison to your body.. its the cells feces.. it saturates your erythrocyte and dont let them transport oxigen..Its like been intoxicated, your neurons suffering of hypoxia transmitting uncontrollable membrane potentials ... but I dont really know.. maybe there is something else out there.. I really HOPE so
“The important thing is not to stop questioning.”
-Albert Einstein

Be Your Own Messiah

Conspirator

PostThu Apr 08, 2010 11:38 am » by Mediasorcerer

sorry.but thats bullshit about co2,how come then they all describe the same thing,??a tunnel of light? the medical profession likes to think they are superior enough to explain everything,but they are mortal little men with big egos,who dont know anymore than any of us.
with the power of soul,anything is possible
with the power of you,anything that you wanna do

Initiate

PostThu Apr 08, 2010 3:21 pm » by Alexrubic

I agree with mediasorcerer. There have been reports of patients who have flat-lined on the operating table and while 'out of body' have witnessed things happening or being said on other wards in the hospital, which have later been verified to have actually happened at the time in question. If the experience was purely 'hallucinatory' in origin due to hypoxia or CO2 intoxication, then this would not be the case.

From memory (I have read a fair few books on this phenomenon) one patient died on the operating table and a nurse was sent into an adjoining room to fetch a glass ampoule of a drug required for the resuscitation procedure. In the heat of the moment, she broke with safety protocol and snapped off the top of the ampoule with her bare hands before returning with it to the OR. The patient, recovering on the ward after her successful resuscitation, stopped the nurse in question on her rounds and said to her "I saw what you did in that other room (referring, in detail, to the incident with the glass ampoule) because while I was out of my body I followed you. That was a very dangerous thing to do!"

In another incident a patient, while flat-lined and undergoing resuscitation, floated 'out of body' to the exterior of the hospital and saw a red shoe on a ledge of the building (the ledge was not adjacent to any windows). When she had been resuscitated and was recovering on the ward, she mentioned this to a member of staff and, though incredulous, was curious enough to check it out. Sure enough, there was a red sure on the ledge exactly as the patient described. The member of staff actually had to lean out of an upper floor window and look around the corner of the building to see it.

There are many such examples in the literature.

Conspirator

PostThu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 pm » by Mediasorcerer

everything is energy,energy cant be destroyed,only transformed,like a peice of wood,when you burn it,[heat it,]the molecules start to vibrate faster,then it turns into smoke and ash,[both lighter than wood,lower density]but they are not destroyed!!!this is physics simple,so why would we just vanish??? we dont we go to higher state.cos we are energy too ?yes?its not mystical,its common sense really.
with the power of soul,anything is possible
with the power of you,anything that you wanna do

Conspirator

PostThu Apr 08, 2010 7:50 pm » by Abyssdnb

I agree with mediasorcerer :flop:
Image "Fear not the path of truth for the lack of people walking on it."

Conspirator

PostThu Apr 08, 2010 8:04 pm » by sockpuppet

That is just crap, they try soooooo hard to find an explanation for NDE's that fit their "scientific" (aka, preconceived notion) of the world, and they miss the mark completely.

Too many of these NDE's occur while patients are so-called "brain dead". If it was chemicals in the brain or CO2 in the blood, then NDEs would only occur in people who still had brain wave activity.

Also, NDE's are not as consistent across cultures as some would have you believe. It is true that people in other cultures can experience a tunnel, white light etc, I have seen some NDE's that seemed to have been a result of the culture of the person experiencing it. I remember one in particular where a Hindu man in India had an experience where in his NDE, he was sitting in a hot, stuffy lobby in a crowd of other people waiting on a secretary or receptionist to get the "red tape" started. When I read about that, it reminded me of this, lol:

Upload to Disclose.tv

But anyways, there was an (illiterate) man in Nepal who had a NDE where he met Jesus. He didn't know who Jesus was at the time and it wasn't until several years later that he met someone who was familiar with Christianity and who knew who Jesus was. It's pretty obvious what happens next in the story. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

Initiate

PostFri Apr 09, 2010 12:20 am » by Alwaysincontrol

The most profound evidence to support NDE's as being a truly out of this body experience not crap science is how many people who do pass to the beyond and return to tell about it, often see and sometimes talk to people on the other side that they did not know were dead. These people end up coming back to their bodies and finding out later that friends and family had died that they didn't know about. Debunk that shiite muslim!

One of my favorite Coast to Coast AM Shows: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2010/01/25

Here are some of the highlights of the consistent patterns/evidence he's found:

* The level of consciousness and alertness during NDEs is usually even greater than that experienced in everyday life even though NDEs generally occur when a person is unconscious or clinically dead.
* What NDErs see and hear of earthly events in the out-of-body state is almost always realistic, such as what is going on around them at the hospital.
* Heightened senses are often reported, such as seeing with 360 degree vision. Several people who have been totally blind since birth have reported highly visual near-death experiences.
* Life reviews in NDEs include real events that previously took place in the lives of those having the experience, even if the events were forgotten, in a kind of "perfect playback."
* During a NDE, the people encountered are virtually always deceased. Were the NDE only a product of memory fragments, they would almost certainly include far more living people, including those with whom they had more recently interacted.
* The near-death experiences of children, including very young children are essentially identical to those of older children and adults, arguing against the idea of cultural pre-conditioning.
* NDErs often report seeing heavenly or unearthly realms, with colors and sights that defy description.
* It is common for people to experience major life changes after having near-death experiences. Typically, the changes are powerful, lasting, and life-enhancing.
"It is done, now my eggs need nourishment" - Anna

Writer

PostMon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 am » by Dlyricer

OBEs are something modern science cannot explain. CO2 can't explain how OBEs occur and why do we see without our physical bodies, though it might be the TRIGGER to an OBE.

Think of that, if CO2 could be triggering OBEs than we could use this knowledge to have these experiencies without having the need of "dying". If used at the right amount, CO2 could be the key we were looking for (and might be the same one aliens had found long ago).

I want my out of body experience to start now.
*smokes CO2* :P