How did you discover your religion / belief system?

Writer

PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:04 am » by Notgeoffrey

For me, I have had a set of very deeply held spiritual beliefs all my life, and never fully identified with any particular religion until I found a passing mention of a 'dead' religion in a book which struck such a chord within me that I researched it and found it to match my personal feelings to the letter. That religion is Manichaeism. (Check it out on wikipedia if you like, especially the 'theology' paragraphs which sum it up beautifully. If you google it and check out other sources, steer well clear of some groups who claim to follow 'neo-manichaeism', there are some seriously :censored: ed up ideas in there...)

If you have a religion, or spiritual bent that you can put a name to, how did you find out about it? Where did you first encounter it, and was it a profound epiphany moment, or just something that quietly grew within you until you knew it was right?

Writer

PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:10 am » by Neilnb

evolution is my god, their is somthing weird going on in evolution that noboby can explain. :nope:

Writer

PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:11 am » by Notgeoffrey

Weird in what sense?

Writer

PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 am » by Neilnb

it's life in all aspects, creatures that cant see colour, adapting to their backgrounds. Who set's the rule's for life????? I dont think it's random chance..... :headscratch:

Writer

PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:28 am » by Notgeoffrey

Evolution argues that it is random chance. Species have individuals that are mutated all the time, and if that mutation just happens to be useful, the organism survives better, and is better able to breed and pass that information on.

Look at how we have managed to change the wolf beyond recognition into our pet dogs in the space of a few thousand years... evolution has had billions. That said, I think there may well be something in the concept of intelligent design.

Writer

PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:31 am » by Neilnb

you have just proved my point, way to go evoluton.... long live us all ,,,, LOL :D

Initiate

PostThu Feb 12, 2009 7:28 am » by Mihalj

Personal beleif in God is something you will not find on any page of any book or on any manuscript or in any words of any preacher. All they can do is guide and encourige you and direct you to the place where this is. And the answer is simple. It is on your knees, in sincere prayer asking the question, are you there? Then we must listen with our hearts with real intent. And the answer will come. It may not happen over night, but it will happen. As for those who think we have evolved from monkeys and mutations, you may well have, but i certainly did not. Having held our children when they were born, to me it was no mistake, their souls came from heaven, how the good Lord put everything else together and by what method he used may just be far more complicated then we can ever imagine. Perhaps all theories are partly true upto a specific point. You only have to read one biology book on minute organisms to realise just how complex these processes are, now look at the human eye, how complex and carefuly engeneered it is, and start thinking about it being totaly silly thinking that it just evolved. I dont care what people say, no matter how many times i jump of my roof, my children and grand children will not develop wings. They may develop stronger backs from pushing me around in the wheel chair, but thats about it.
If at first you dont sucseed, skydivng is not for you

PostFri Feb 13, 2009 12:29 am » by Dararebreed

I believe that the ideal that you need a belief system at all is a form of belief in itself. Think about it. Why do you feel the need to find something to believe in? Would you have a concept of God if that notion was never introduced to you, and beat into your head all of your life? And, if so, what would that concept be? There's no way of noing, right? But isn't it also safe to assume that it most likely wouldn't be any of the popular choices that we have now in the world? My personal belief is in the Truth, nothing more, nothing less. I'm a "Truthist". It's the 1 belief that there is no (and can never be) a debate about. There's no arguing it's doctrine. And there's ALWAYS irrefutable evidence of all it's claims. I may listen to & consider information that I receive from external origins, but I always conduct extensive personal research before I come to any conclusions. Sounds like common sense, but most people that vehemently follow whatever religion that they've chosen do absolutely no research into the things that they believe & base their lives on. And if they're introduced to new information that is contrary to what they believe, they're conditioned to reject it & be in complete denial about it, regardless of the truthfulness of it. Or else they attempt to make it make sense within the parameters of their belief. Most Christian refuse to accept even the most obvious & undeniable FACTS about their religion. Every single Christian Holiday has pagan origins. ALL OF THEM. Of course if you look deeper you'll find that their entire belief comes from older origins (Sumaria,Nibiru/Annunaki), but my point is, that they wont even accept or consider that the Holidays aren't "Christian". The danger of choosing a belief is that you immediated close yourself off to any truth that doesn't fit into your belief system. Or at the very least, it distorts your perception of truths that are contrary to your belief because you try to reconcile the two.
People need to stop being sentimentalists. Your heart is nothing more than an organ that pumps blood. " believe what's in your heart". WTF is that b.s. supposed to mean?!? The worst thing you can do is lie to & deceive your own self. Try believing what your rational mind reasons to be true. Sumaria is the oldest (first) civilization known to mankind. An extremely advanced civilization at THAT. If you honestly seek the truth about the origin & destiny of man, I advise you to begin at the BEGINNING (what a novel ideal!). Be open to the truth & I guarantee that you'll find it there.

Writer

PostFri Feb 13, 2009 6:04 pm » by Notgeoffrey

Well said, Dararebreed.

I guess the need to believe is part of human nature to a large extent. It allows us to try and find some meaning in what outwardly appears to be a rather pointless existence. For my own part I did not find a religion to follow in life, I was lucky enough to find one that happened to be walking the same path as me. To me that seems the best way to discover a religion, but I'm biased :D
As for believing in your heart, I would suggest that it's nothing more than a turn of phrase, and not something to be taken literally.

I believe that no matter what religion you follow, if you lead a good life and follow your moral values then you cannot possibly be getting it wrong - why should it matter what name you put to it?.... How did Romeo put it? 'That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet', or something along those lines. Of course, the danger inherent in that is a person who follows his own moral values when those values are abhorrent to the rest of us, and obviously wrong. When I find a better way of phrasing it, I'll let you know.

Conspirator

PostFri Feb 13, 2009 6:33 pm » by Towelie

I dont realy care about "god" or religion, i figure thatll all be answered when i die, and if "god" doesnt want anything to do with me because i didnt spend my life worshiping him/it then i realy wouldnt want anything to do with something/someone like that. I figure ill spend my time learning what i can about the real universe we exist in, whats the point in spending all your life wondering about when you die, if there realy is anything after death itll be answered then and therll be no question about it.
Kill em all and let god sort them out!

Atheism is a non-prohet organisation.

Next