How humans and there parted ways?

Initiate

PostTue Nov 17, 2009 6:31 am » by Forestgrove111

http://www.alien-earth.org/forum/messag ... te=8/20/09 #
One of the most distinctive evolutionary changes as humans parted company from their fellow apes was their loss of body hair. But why and when human body hair disappeared, together with the matter of when people first started to wear clothes, are questions that have long lain beyond the reach of archaeology and paleontology.

Ingenious solutions to both issues have now been proposed, independently, by two research groups analyzing changes in DNA. The result, if the dates are accurate, is something of an embarrassment. It implies we were naked for more than a million years before we started wearing clothes.

Conspirator

PostTue Nov 17, 2009 7:43 am » by Lucidlemondrop

forestgrove111 wrote:http://www.alien-earth.org/forum/message.php?message=45969&showdate=8/20/09 #
One of the most distinctive evolutionary changes as humans parted company from their fellow apes was their loss of body hair. But why and when human body hair disappeared, together with the matter of when people first started to wear clothes, are questions that have long lain beyond the reach of archaeology and paleontology.

Ingenious solutions to both issues have now been proposed, independently, by two research groups analyzing changes in DNA. The result, if the dates are accurate, is something of an embarrassment. It implies we were naked for more than a million years before we started wearing clothes.

Maybe we just got cold!

Or wanted to make a fashion statement...........

OR.............perhaps..............we were no longer that which we originally were and it became necessary............Sheez................I don't know...........

do you?

From your link.

Photos: There are few hairless mammals other than humans, but they include the naked mole rat, above, the hippopotamus and the elephant. It is believed that mammals lose their hair only for particular evolutionary reasons. (Photo by Neil Bromhall/Photo Researchers); (Photo by Paul Smith for The New York Times); (Photo by Agence France-Presse/Getty Images)(pg. F4) Chart/Photos: "A Million Years of Nakedness" A new theory suggests that early humans shed their body hair not to bare shoulders or ankles, but to avoid parasites. They couldn't shake these bugs altogether, though; one parasite may have evolved to bother human hosts again. PRIMATES DIVERGE — The hominid line splits from a common chimp ancestor. STANDING UPRIGHT — Hominids become bipedal, walking on two legs (above left). OUT OF THE WOODS — Early hominids left forested areas for the savanna about 1.7 million years ago. They developed the more familiar features of modern humans, including external noses and longer limbs suited for walking. DATING FUR LOSS — The last mutation in the gene that causes dark skin color was about 1.2 million years ago. The gene came to predominate in Africa, where it was necessary to protect the small early hominid population from harsh sunlight (above right). FASHION CAME LATE — Humans may have been naked for most of the time since body hair loss, dated to the arrival of body lice that cling only to clothes, about 70,000 years ago. Before — An Australopithecus, sporting full-bodied fur about four million years ago. After — An archaic human walked fur-free about 1.2 million years ago, carrying fire on the savanna.

Well,,, Alrighty then!
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Initiate

PostTue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 am » by Forestgrove111

To put one on over the other!

Initiate

PostTue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 am » by Wompasdub

Well, this is my understanding of this topic after years of studying Physical Anthropology. We were indeed naked for a very long time however at this point we were for the most part still animals. You also need to keep in mind during this time period early man was wandering Africa eventually migrating up into Mesopotamia then branching off to Asia and Europe. Another thing to keep in mind here is that this didn't happen over night it happened over thousands of years. By the time people spread to more temperate climates genes started changing and by the time you end up with the Neanderthal climate change is beginning. The Neanderthal had communication and were pretty smart, they also hardly felt pain and were very good at adapting to their environments. If I had to take a wild guess I'd say it started with the wearing of hides a bit before Neanderthals and evolved slowly into clothes. I believe the key to that whole subject lies with the ice age and migration to temperate climates. Any speculation I can make regarding this needs to be backed up by Archaeological evidence of course, problem is not much survives unless conditions are perfect which is why the evolution of man is such a confusing issue for scientists in the first place let alone clothing.

Initiate

PostTue Nov 17, 2009 4:05 pm » by Forestgrove111

Oversoul, To put one on over the other # <= i put this on wrong page, # ( anyway was it the climate that made us ware animal hides to keep warm that made us loose our hair over thousands of years or were we geneticly manipulated / enhanced by the small g gods, i don't know because i wasn't there, but the way i see things now we didn't naturally evolve, we were enhanced by u know who?