How late do you stay up brainiac?

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 4:21 am » by whitedeath

An article from last year

Satoshi Kanazawa, a psychologist at The London School of Economics and Political Science, argues that, while we have specialized mental modules for navigation, social interaction, and other age-old tasks, general intelligence is its own module handling only evolutionarily novel circumstances. And he has data showing that people with higher IQs are more likely to have values and preferences that just didn't make sense for our ancestors to embrace. One of those is staying up late.

He goes on to say...
Bedtimes and wake-up times for Americans in their 20s by IQ.

Very Dull (IQ < 75)

Weekday: 11:41 P.M.-7:20 A.M.

Weekend: 12:35 A.M.-10:09 A.M.

Normal (90 < IQ < 110)

Weekday: 12:10 A.M.-7:32 A.M.

Weekend: 1:13 A.M.-10:14 A.M.

Very Bright (IQ > 125)

Weekday: 12:29 A.M.-7:52 A.M.

Weekend: 1:44 A.M.-11:07 A.M.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200911/intelligence-the-evolution-night-owls

If I follow his theory correct, can there be that much difference from 11:41pm to 12:29am?
With my usual "bed"time around 4am I'm either much smarter or much dumber..

Before you say it , yes probably the latter!

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 5:17 am » by sockpuppet

But it doesn't say what people are up doing.

Maybe it has more to do with the social environment... I mean, if you are dimwitted then you probably aren't going to understand half the references in late night shows and you've probably watched every movie showing on TV. On the other hand, very bright people are usually much more curious so they are probably staying up reading or surfing the web.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 5:30 am » by whitedeath

Good points, I think you should have his job! I was only half serious when I posted it. I realised it was not even close to being a proper scientific theory with only the few details given

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 6:15 am » by Otomon

I go to sleep around 2 am and wake up at anytime between 10 am -1 pm... where does that leave me?
I am energized 13 I am CHRISTalized 13 I am amplified 13 I detach from the illusions of matter 13 I no longer choose to play the unconscious role 13 I listen to my intuition 13 I am in my flow 13 I break free from all negative soul ties 13

Initiate

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 6:21 am » by Memccool

hell i sleep whenever my body tells me im tired and wake up when ever it tells me to wake up.
Hi, how are you today? Would u like a tall glass of SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!!

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 6:23 am » by Otomon

memccool wrote:hell i sleep whenever my body tells me im tired and wake up when ever it tells me to wake up.

Thats how it should be.
I am energized 13 I am CHRISTalized 13 I am amplified 13 I detach from the illusions of matter 13 I no longer choose to play the unconscious role 13 I listen to my intuition 13 I am in my flow 13 I break free from all negative soul ties 13

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 12:13 pm » by Svaha

Hurray let's rejoice, I don't fit in. :mrgreen:
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Super Moderator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 12:33 pm » by TheDuck

Well I went to bed at 2:45am last night after 1/2 a bottle of wine and was up at 8:30am, played an instant 50 man tourney and won that so yeh, I really should start eating breakfast before playing but it doesn't seem to be detrimental so... :D

Bacon sani's sizzling away now though cooked by my Mrs' (11:39am) :owned:

Did an IQ test when I was about 16 and it reckoned I scored 144 so apparently I'm a genius who uses lol too much lol

I bet I've got a bit dumber now though (in some areas which I no longer use as much, although other areas have probably been strengthened)

Cool study anyway :flop:
Last edited by TheDuck on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The Truth Cannot Be Told... It Must Be Realized"

Super Moderator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 12:38 pm » by TheDuck

There was a study saying it may be counter productive to get up soo early for school and teenagers would work more efficiently if they got up later and left school later, or something to that effect anyway...

Super Moderator

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 12:39 pm » by TheDuck

Here it is...

High school start times deprive teens of sleep, affect academic performance

Current high school start times deprive adolescents of sleep and force students to perform academically in the early morning, a time of day when they are at their worst, according to a study in the June issue of the journal Pediatrics.
Results from high school senior sleep/wake diaries kept for the study also showed that adolescents lost as much as two hours of sleep per night during the school week, but weekend sleep times during the school year were similar to those in summer.

The study was a collaborative project involving researchers at the Feinberg School of Medicine and the Center for Sleep and Circadian Biology at Northwestern University and faculty, students and parents from Evanston Township High School, Evanston, Ill. The students were advanced placement biology students who helped conduct the study and analyze the collected data.

Martha Hansen, advanced placement biology teacher and current science department chair at Evanston Township High School, headed the project in collaboration with Margarita L. Dubocovich, professor of molecular pharmacology and biological chemistry and of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, Feinberg; and Phyllis C. Zee, M.D., professor of neurology, Feinberg.

The study assessed the impact of sleep loss after the start of school on cognitive performance and mood and examined the relationship of weekday to weekend sleep in adolescents.

The study also showed that exposure to bright light in the morning did not modify students' sleep-wake cycle or improve daytime performance during weekdays probably because of their strict school schedule. a

For example, classes at Evanston Township High School start at 8:05 a.m. and run until 3:35 p.m. – one of the longest school days in Illinois. Many high schools in the country have start times of 7:15 or 7:30 a.m. In addition, almost all standardized tests in high school begin at 8 a.m.

Since this is when adolescents show their poorest performance levels, a change is clearly needed and would be relatively easy to negotiate, the researchers suggest.

While the authors emphasized that more research on adolescent circadian rhythms is needed, they also believe that all groups dealing with adolescents – pediatricians, parents, teachers and teenagers themselves – need to be aware of adolescents' lifestyle patterns and the unusual weekday/weekend sleep phenomena.

"Knowledge of adolescent circadian rhythms could promote better family relationships if parents understood that sleeping late on weekends is part of their children's in-born cycle and not 'lazy' or antisocial behavior," the researchers said. Finally, this sleep study forged collaboration between high school students and faculty where everyone learned and benefited from the experience.

"Students were able to learn about the process of collecting and analyzing data and to discover more about the fascinating topic of themselves," the authors said.

Other researchers on the study were Imke Janssen, statistician and Evanston Township High School parent; and Adam Schiff, a former Evanston Township High School student, currently in medical school.

Next