how to erase yourself from the internet

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 9:11 pm » by kentrb

Who knew a page full of links could be so useful?

JustDelete.me is a page full of links -- not ugly blue hyperlinks but links disguised as buttons. Each button represents an online service; anything from LinkedIn to Skype to Wikipedia.

Click a button and JustDelete.me will take you to the page on that online service that allows you to delete your account. If you click the "show info" link under each button, meanwhile, JustDelete.me will tell you, in plain English, how to delete your account from that site.

Buttons are color-coded: a green button means deleting your account is easy, a yellow button means it's moderately difficult, red means it's hard and black (uh-oh) means "it's impossible to delete your account on this site."

Turns out some sites love your data so much they won't remove it. Ever.

In addition to its primary purpose of teaching people how to delete their accounts -- and serving as a one-stop shop for people who want to pare down their online presence -- JustDelete.me publicly shames services that don't let users remove their data. And for those who haven't yet created eternal accounts on these types of sites, including Netflix, Pinterest or Pastebin, JustDelete.me serves as a warning that some sites will never let you go.

JustDelete.me was created by Robb Lewis, a UK-based developer frustrated by the lack of transparency offered in online service deletions. "After seeing a few tweets about how difficult it can be to delete your Skype account and then hearing that Netflix flat-out won’t delete your details I decided to build JustDelete.me," Lewis writes on his blog. Lewis is currently taking suggestions for sites to add to JustDelete.me; he can be emailed or contacted on Twitter here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... lp00000009

http://justdelete.me/

:cheers:

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 pm » by 99socks

You can't delete yourself.

Once something- anything- has been posted anywhere on the internet, that very same file has to go through a server.

Every single server has a backup.. or at least, the drive is never really deleted. If you're lucky, the hard drive will lose access via its indexing system.

Regardless of that however, every single thing that has ever been posted on the internet has been saved on a quantum computer owned by the military.

Your everything is out there, forever.

We may have laws "protecting" our "privacy" this year (or, supposedly we do), but what about 20 years from now?

We just may be amazed as what gets dug up out of that quantum computer that's 30 years old or more. :nwo:
I can't speak about how much of the Constitution is in effect anymore... But thank God we still somewhat resemble a Republic and not a democracy!

http://thethinkingapostate.ghost.io/

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:09 pm » by kentrb

indeed socks

maybe the only way is to not turn it on in the first place

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:29 pm » by Doogle

Good post Kent.

I think that going through some of the processes mentioned and "deleting" oneself from some of those sites works as a kind of therapy, an editing of ones life. To a degree.

Tis true though, there are some sites, agencies and corporations that will never let you go. Think birth certificate. The thing is, even before the interweb, that was still the case.

Super Moderator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:52 pm » by -Marduk-

Very interesting topic, Kent.

Thread moved to "Internet Censorship & Lockdown"

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 pm » by kentrb

I think that going through some of the processes mentioned and "deleting" oneself from some of those sites works as a kind of therapy, an editing of ones life. To a degree.

thats where my thoughts were with the post doogle :cheers:

i was gonna put it in the internet lock down/censorship section,but wasnt sure,lol
thanks marduk

:sunny:

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 pm » by Opalserpent

99socks wrote:You can't delete yourself.

Once something- anything- has been posted anywhere on the internet, that very same file has to go through a server.

Every single server has a backup.. or at least, the drive is never really deleted. If you're lucky, the hard drive will lose access via its indexing system.

Regardless of that however, every single thing that has ever been posted on the internet has been saved on a quantum computer owned by the military.

Your everything is out there, forever.

We may have laws "protecting" our "privacy" this year (or, supposedly we do), but what about 20 years from now?

We just may be amazed as what gets dug up out of that quantum computer that's 30 years old or more. :nwo:

I don't mean to be a smart ass Socks but didn't we have a mystery

"Partition" failure here not long ago?

Prism isn't handing us any backups.

I honestly don't believe that partition failure was a natural event. :robot:

Sure our data is stored forever but when it's convenient it can disappear like
thousands of our combined posts did months ago into oblivion permanently.

RIP Assassinated Disclose.tv Partition: :pray:

I know it only set us back 6 months but still some posters lost thousands of posts.
Does admin know if the recovered backup data was on the same network when
the partition decided to shit itself?

Have a nice day. 8-)
Live by the Terror, Die by the Terror.

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 2:38 am » by 99socks

Opalserpent wrote:

I don't mean to be a smart ass Socks but didn't we have a mystery

"Partition" failure here not long ago?

Prism isn't handing us any backups.

I honestly don't believe that partition failure was a natural event. :robot:

Sure our data is stored forever but when it's convenient it can disappear like
thousands of our combined posts did months ago into oblivion permanently.

RIP Assassinated Disclose.tv Partition: :pray:

I know it only set us back 6 months but still some posters lost thousands of posts.
Does admin know if the recovered backup data was on the same network when
the partition decided to shit itself?

Have a nice day. 8-)

We did have a problem- with the DTV server.

The point I was making was regarding all the other servers that no one on DTV has any access or control over.

When I hit submit on this post, how many servers is this going to go thru in order to get to the server in Germany?

When at least a few hundred DTV members get their information from the DTV server in Germany, how many servers does it go thru before it gets to their personal computer?

Everything you or anyone else says is out there on hundreds of other computers you don't have control over. THOSE computers may be protected "for the time being." Some may even be retired at some point, and stuck in some kind of underground salt mine. Who knows. But again, if/when privacy has been thrown to the dogs, who knows what someone is going to find sitting on all those old servers!
I can't speak about how much of the Constitution is in effect anymore... But thank God we still somewhat resemble a Republic and not a democracy!

http://thethinkingapostate.ghost.io/

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:00 am » by Aragajag

What Socks said.

One company does not have the power or the resources to go through the whole net and delete everything related to your usage.
Even if they did its only surface stuff, then there is the people who quote you in response like here and how about facebook or those crazy critters who screenshoot every conversation , then there is the archive folk who keep old stuff for reference.

What about the govts who are storing every jot and tittle, encrypted or not.

No way known, we are all here somewhere for the eternity of computing.
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Super Moderator

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 am » by Slith

That's why I use my real name and address. Dlslith, via kenya, ip. address. 01.kissmyass101. Hello NSA. lemme cook ya sum grub. Good grub, ya know, the one and done meal. eheh

Beating the shit out of spammers......one click at a time

Next