BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!! Huge bomb blast rocks central Beirut

Master Conspirator
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 pm » by Savwafair2012

looks like it was an orginized assassination plot

http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/
FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 6:01 pm » by Proto

The blast ripped through the street where the office of the anti-Damascus Christian Phalange Party is located near Sassine Square in Ashrafiyeh, a mostly Christian area.

Phalange leader Sami al-Gemayel, a staunch opponent of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and a member of parliament, condemned the attack.

"Let the state protect the citizens. We will not accept any procrastination in this matter, we cannot continue like that. We have been warning for a year. Enough," said Gemayel, whose brother was assassinated in November 2006.

The war in Syria, which has killed 30,000 people in the past 19 months, has pitted mostly Sunni insurgents against Assad, who is from the Alawite sect linked to Shi'ite Islam.

Lebanon's religious communities are divided between those supporting Assad and those backing the rebels trying to overthrow him.

The blast occurred during rush hour, when many parents were picking up children from school, and sent black smoke billowing into the sky.

Eight people were killed and at least 78 were wounded, the state news agency said, quoting civil defence officials.

Several cars were destroyed and the front of a multi-storey building was badly damaged, with tangled wires and metal railings crashing to the ground.

In the aftermath, residents ran about in panic looking for relatives while others helped carry the wounded to ambulances. Security forces blanketed the area.

In scenes reminiscent of the dark days of Lebanon's civil war, ambulances ferried the wounded to several hospitals, where doctors, nurses and students waited for casualties at the doors. At one hospital, an elderly woman sat in the emergency room with blood staining her blouse.

The hospitals put out an appeal for blood donations.

An employee of a bank on the street pointed to the blown-out windows of his building.

"Some people were wounded from my bank. I think it was a car bomb. The whole car jumped five floors into the air," he said.

Michael Fish, 25, a British musician visiting Beirut, said he was in his hotel a street away when the explosion happened.

"At first I thought it was an earthquake. It shook the whole hotel for a second. I ran down and started filming on my iPhone."

The prospect that Syria's war might spread to Lebanon has worried many people here, and fighting broke out in February between supporters and opponents of Assad in the northern city of Tripoli.

Syria has also played a major role in Lebanese politics, siding with different factions during the 1975-1990 civil war. Its troops occupied parts of the country during the war and stayed until 2005.

Tension between Sunnis, Shi'ites and Christians in Lebanon has continued after the civil war but has increased since the Syria conflict erupted.

Sunni-Shi'te rivalry hit a peak when former Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri, a Sunni, was killed in 2005. Hariri supporters accused Syria and then Hezbollah of killing him,An international tribunal accused several Hezbollah members of involvement in the murder.

Hezbollah's political opponents, who have for months accused it of aiding Assad's forces, have warned that its involvement in Syria could reignite the sectarian tension of the civil war.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... rldupdates

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 6:05 pm » by *WillEase*

Savwafair2012 wrote:looks like it was an orginized assassination plot

http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

Oct 19 (Reuters) - Senior Lebanese intelligence official Wissam al-Hassan was targeted and killed in the Beirut explosion on Friday, a Lebanese official told Reuters.

"I can just say that it is true, he is dead," the official, who worked with al-Hassan, said.

Al-Hassan was the brain behind uncovering a recent bomb plot that led to the arrest of a Lebanese politician allied to President Bashar al-Assad.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/ ... 5S20121019

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm » by Proto

breaking :

Jordanian police say large explosion hits shopping mall in nation’s capital

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mid ... story.html

unconfirmed reports on twitter says that a roof at City Mall
in Amman collapsed and it's not explosion .

so at the moment it's not clear whats going on .

edit :

Jordan explosion report 'a false alarm' - police

Jordanian police say reports of an explosion in a shopping mall in the capital,
Amman, were a false alarm.

The damage was caused by a ceiling collapsing at the mall.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-10- ... rm-police/

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 7:17 pm » by Icarus1

Beirut blast 'kills intelligence official Wissam al-Hassa

A senior Lebanese intelligence official was among at least eight people killed in a massive car bomb attack in central Beirut, state media say.

Wissam al-Hassan was said to be close to opposition leader Saad Hariri, a leading critic of the government in neighbouring Syria.

No group has claimed Friday's attack, which was condemned by Damascus. Dozens of people were injured.

Tensions in Lebanon have been rising as a result of the Syrian conflict.

Friday's attack was the deadliest in Beirut since 2008.

It occurred in the mainly Christian district of Ashrafiya, in a busy street close to the headquarters of the Mr Hariri's 14 March coalition.
Continue reading the main story
Wissam al-Hassan

Head of the intelligence branch of Lebanon's Internal Security Forces
Sunni Muslim born in the northern city of Tripoli in 1965
Responsible for the security of former PM Rafik Hariri
Viewed as being close to the Hariris and the opposition 14 March coalition
Responsible for the August arrest of pro-Syrian politician and ex-information minister Michel Samaha

Some 14 March politicians have accused the Syrian government of being behind the bombing.

However Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi called it a "cowardly terrorist act".

Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati said the government was trying to identify the perpetrators and said they would be punished.

The blast set many cars ablaze and destroyed the facades of nearby buildings.

Ronnie Chatah, who lives nearby, told the BBC: "The building shook and it echoed throughout the neighbourhood."

Hospitals across the city have reported large numbers of wounded, and called for people to donate blood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20008827
In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can.

Super Moderator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 7:21 pm » by domdabears

Good.

Let's get on with the war already.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 7:25 pm » by The57ironman

domdabears wrote:Good.

.......i sorta' agree with that... :mrcool:

....remember....the authorities are working hard to keep you feeling helpless...

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 8:04 pm » by Eldorado

Read more: posting.php?mode=reply&f=19&t=79827#ixzz29lmBYJtC

I think youre both slap happy........ :top:

Why, so Israel can feel safer and have a party with a full 360 degrees of regime change???

I'm smelling Matzoh Balls on this one
“The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Super Moderator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 8:18 pm » by domdabears

Eldorado wrote:

Read more: posting.php?mode=reply&f=19&t=79827#ixzz29lmBYJtC

I think youre both slap happy........ :top:

Why, so Israel can feel safer and have a party with a full 360 degrees of regime change???

I'm smelling Matzoh Balls on this one

Yeah... That's my motive. Word for word.

:shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 pm » by domdabears

C'mon guys. I haven't watched a good war on tv in years.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

PreviousNext