Human Powered Helicopter Design by Eldorado

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 6:53 am » by Eldorado

Here's the updated designs in AutoCAD 2012......

My processor is wicked slow.....1.6 Ghz....so it's hard to do very complex rendering processes, but here's the blocked and solids concept modeling in 3D.......

....soon I can finish my design, head for the sky and beyond...........

they have a challenge to try to achieve sustained flight for 60 seconds.......and hit 9.8 feet high doing it......within a 30' square boundary..

....based on The Sikorski Challenge rules, with a prize of $275,000.00

Our entry into the decades long challenge is called The BIRD......or Bicycle Integrated Rotorcraft Design

Here's the prelims........Aluminum Tube Frame........083" wall thickness..........with 4 carbon fiber rotor blades, and 2 tail rotors............9 speed internally geared hub pushing an estimated 250-340 rpms..........

Total Estimated Weight of Rotorcraft..........80lbs.....

Last two are for scale, the block figure standing next to the choppah is 5'5" tall and 18" wide on each side
“The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 10:46 am » by Tjahzi

woah man..

awesome :flop:

hope you will take off soon :dancing:

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am » by mediasorcery

You need to develop gearing and maybe a gyro to convert the foot power into enough energy to run those blades, otherwise, wont work, but , interesting idea.
the story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye, until we meet again my friend.

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 12:07 pm » by Toxic32

You might want to check this out. It may help with your design?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-powered_helicopter
Invictus maneo

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 12:32 pm » by Cia212

Does Autocad have a CFD function to test the rotor? Something like Floworks in Solidworks?

What software did you use to pick your airfoil?

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 5:53 pm » by Eldorado

mediasorcery wrote:You need to develop gearing and maybe a gyro to convert the foot power into enough energy to run those blades, otherwise, wont work, but , interesting idea.

Let me clarify....PRE-LIM-I-NARY.........that means about four to eight more hours putting little gears on the cogs, and putting the tail rotor together........all done after that....OH and a set of skis underneath for style and some reinforcement for a bouncy landing.....prob come down hard a few times.....

Gears are included already including an I-Motion 9 speed internal geared hub.....the only HPH choppah to have one so far......we also have included a Neodymium Magnetic Ring used to suspend the rotor head above the thrust bearings in the main axle, to give it almost a zero resistance rotation

direct drive with a freewheel is all you need.....and that's what I have baby.......

basically MediaSorcery is a fool acting intelligent......thanks for the encouragement dickhead.......see you work on Human Powered Helicopters all the time and would have the specific calculations I was looking for right???.....HAHAHAHA

You might want to check this out. It may help with your design?

Basic........Have checked it out........no insight into the concept provided from anyone other than a few dudes on PhysicsForums.com...

Toxic32......thank you though :cheers:

What software did you use to pick your airfoil?

AutoCAD2012 exclusively.......I'm going to upload the frame and rotor head into Cosmos to get an assessment of leverage and stresses imposed on the movements of the parts and their resiliency to flexing.

I snaked the cross section of the rotor contour from the Apache AH-64.....known for lifting heavy weight in a small package......

and then modified it with the fusion of elements from the designs of large model helicopters, to reduce the drag at the end of the rotor blade, to allow the leading edge to fly at the anticipated rpms........

each rotor is independently spring tensioned....and there is a single brake lever that will actuate the collective pitch features of the rotor......allowing me to generate rpm and take off quickly to the max height of the competition, and hover for 55 more seconds..............

to win the prize........

Im the only one with a scaled down version of a functional helicopter in existence today.....all the other Ultralight rotorcraft dont have the rigidity to maintain repetitive attempts, nor the rigidity to control the pitch of the overall vehicle, as their Quadricopter designs cannot harness the gyrocscopic effect of the pilot pod suspended below the rotorhead, due to the slower rpms...........

They can function in the applications and parameters of the challenge, but not as needed to maintain stable hovering, and control of the vehicle within the 30' square area beneath the choppah....

They get to a hovering point and begin to drift uncontrollably.........

My design counters the entire problem through a balanced positioning beneath the rotorhead, from where the pilot can pivot the chopper slightly from side to side, or pulling or pushing the angle of attack forward or backward to control any drifting

There is no cyclic control over the rotorhead to achieve lateral movement, but you can keep the BIRD from leaning, by leaning the other way until the gyroscopic effect returns to its balanced state.......

I just hope we get to see another few crashes from the other teams.......!!!

I love to see schools wasting money.........something to the tone of 250K..........just to try to win the prize of 250K.......

nothing like a few more years of wasted R&D at the hands of an experiment......... :lol:
“The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 8:09 pm » by Eldorado

These girls are ready to ride for sure.......it's not yogurt they are talking about.........something about a rickshaw........the best way to pick up chicks....literally....

........such a fun ride.....

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 9:45 pm » by Eldorado

Upload to Disclose.tv

I see a rip-off here :headscratch:

Upload to Disclose.tv

And another rip-off here :headscratch:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Man they spend a lot of money....... :lol: :headscratch:

Were Spending $5000.00 max to build ours......

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 9:53 pm » by Eldorado

Upload to Disclose.tv

Struggled to maintain altitude, and during descent was drifting due to a drastic reduction in torque to the rotors.......gradually autorotating the craft down..........was thinking they would wreck again
they run their drive to the quadrotors out on pulleys with strings.... so it will be difficult to get them going back to speed when needed to correct the drifting with loft, plus the drag effect is huge on their rotors....they are bulky and cant cut through shit..........

here's another fatality......

Upload to Disclose.tv

Super Moderator

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 10:15 pm » by The57ironman

....so the main issues are weight and material strength...?

................................................... CHA-CHINGLE BELLS .................................................
ImageImageImage

Next