I love America but this makes me glad I don't live there

Initiate

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:07 am » by Septeloid

Surely if we allowed religion to dominate the political forum then it should be the Pope (or similar) as the world leader and the ArchBishops running the countries. But having said that, it is ''one country under God''. :wink:
''A man with nothing left becomes fully empowered, and he is the most unassailable weapon.''
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZ8B8u4CUo

Master Conspirator

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:12 am » by Lowsix

Bummer that the "agenda" rule isnt very equally applied around here.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Super Moderator

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 am » by The57ironman

the "agenda" has rules?

..... If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.......

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:20 am » by SamueltheLion

epicfailure wrote:
captainkarizma wrote:My problem with this is "we live in the now!" our problems are also. quoting scripture as solution the problem at hand is ridiculous . Where is it in the bible that god says how to fix our current energy problems?.
What kind of decision is this guy going to make with his current beliefs? .The world will not end in a flood because god said so?. WTF this guy is totally fucked in the head.

right.

kind like what i used to think 2 years ago, "omg jesus is such a bunch of horseshit because he didn't know anything about nanotechnology"... when actually, what difference do the problems we have -now- make to our lives, as moral, emotional, rational beings?
Has the modus operandi really changed so drastically? Or do we still deal with 'advanced' problems, with the same means.
Really: same type of dilemma, moral + rational. Just more knowledge at your disposal to help you, doesn't mean your cleverer, just that you've inherited knowledge.

of course, i have to concede, being married to 1 book and quoting it all the time is a little on the loony side, still, empathy is always more appropriate than hate.
Your faith will make you whole

Initiate

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:24 am » by Septeloid

lowsix wrote:Bummer that the "agenda" rule isnt very equally applied around here.

''Agenda'' rule low??
''A man with nothing left becomes fully empowered, and he is the most unassailable weapon.''
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZ8B8u4CUo

Master Conspirator

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 am » by Boondox681

"Doing stuff is overrated.Like Hitler.He did a lot.But don't we all wish he woulda' just stayed home and gotten stoned?"

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 am » by SamueltheLion

septeloid wrote:Surely if we allowed religion to dominate the political forum then it should be the Pope (or similar) as the world leader and the ArchBishops running the countries. But having said that, it is ''one country under God''. :wink:

politicians dominate the religious forum, and the scientific forum, what makes you think truly spiritual people want to dominate any one or anything?

the pope's a phoney, clearly. Anyone with eyes can see.
http://educate-yourself.org/cn/poperati ... shorns.jpg

he was in the hitler youth ffs.
and did nothing about the pedophile cases recently, which, of course, everyone's forgotten about.

the bible of the power hungry is 'the prince' (ends justify the means, better to rule by fear than love, no qualms about 'evil' deeds to do what's 'right') by machiavelli, and there are many power hungry people in power right now.

People love changing the subject whenever they have to think a little about the subject.
Or if you preffer Voltaire's formulation: 'People love those who make them think that they are thinking, but hate those who actually make them think'.

So yeah, how about we discuss the points I came up with in my previous posts (not an egomaniac or anything), as they seem more relevant and like they could offer more to discuss, than the all too common 'let's bash the religious zealots for being so...'.

:cheers:
Your faith will make you whole

Initiate

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:34 am » by Captainkarizma

The gov. cannot be christian representing all the other religions or beliefs its crazy!.
This is absolutely no different than Iran . I fail to see where empathy is relevent here
:robot: this is the captain speaking :badair:

Initiate

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:38 am » by Christomite

samuelthemule wrote:i had a discussion recently with my nextdoor neighbour and his wife, they were appaled about creationism and biblical literalists stating that the earth is 6000 years old, roughly, and that also, evolutionists didn't respond, or weren't convincing in their response.
I'm ashamed of what I ended up saying which was basically just succumbing to them and agreeing, and saying yes, it's utter nonsense because e.g 'Dr.Kent Hovind' tried to disprove carbon dating with the dating of a tree, stating no trees are older than 6000 years old, when actually, there are 10,000 year old trees, with 10,000 year tree rings.

I get the feeling people like railing against things which seem startling to them, because it makes them feel safe to have a 'consensus', right?
Well guess what, sci-fi lovers, you champions of rationality, you radiant heroes trumpeting free speech and intellect over dogma and bullshit, consensus really isn't a measure of anything much, learn to swim in deeper waters (or as was said of isaac newton: learn to travel along strange seas of thought, alone), if you were really above and beyond matters like this, as you enjoy pretending you are, it (this video) would not elicit the replies from you which it has, which are: vicious, cowardly, and, really, beneath what you are capable of.

The facts are, to continue the ridiculous example: you have not been around 6000 years, so you don't know, absolutely, unequivocally, that the earth was or was not created then.
So what makes you uneasy, is the 'cognitive dissonance' between this theory of reality, and what you have been told all of your life: that the earth is millions of years old and so on.

Honestly, what makes you think this is anything more than a slightly higher level of baaaa-ing, or moo-ing with the rest of the heard? I bet if I asked half of you, right now, without searching on the net, to prove, in scientifically acceptable terms, that the earth moves around the sun, and that the earth is older than 500 years, or any number of other questions, you could not answer them, even to your own satisfaction. Grow a back bone, and learn some humility "a funny thing, when you think you've got it, you've lost it".

I guess my point is, search within for your motivation as to why this upsets you so much, or makes you feel immediately uneasy, if he is such a child and clearly mentally handicapped, and you believe you could do a better job, then do it! Stop talking, and do it.
People claim because of such and such beliefs, the people that hold them must be absolute idiots, when, the actual truth is, very few people are actual 'idiots' (a term reserved for mentally handicapped unfortunates), but most people are cowards. Or shall we say, have not developed their courage yet ;)

Peace.

I don't mean to offend any of you personally, I just wish to offer you the truth as I see it.

And no, I don't happen to believe in the literal infallibility of the bible, but I do believe in common decency and respect, self-respect and so on.

edit: case in point, if things were as obvious as you claim them to be, what of the 1500 year dark age, was everyone in between the fall of rome and the rediscovery of the worth of empirical experiments, the renaissance etc, an absolute idiot?
...Stop focusing on the negative, and calling people idiots, and realize what a mighty achievement the knowledge which supports our current way of life really is.

and op: at least he cares that "we're destroying the earth", you're going to mock him for believing something other than what you do? Imo, in a way there's a profound irony in this thread and situation, some so called atheists seem to believe in the inevitability of destruction and 'apocalypse' (which btw, just means removal of the skin/cloak), and so, party and distract themselves endlessly, and some couldn't really care less about what happens to the world, as they believe they will be spending forever, or, not spending anytime anywhere after they die, whereas some christians, or those who believe in some organized fishy business religion, deny the inevitability or "fate" status of global apocalypse, so they do do something about it, when... where's the point if they think they're going to heaven?
And no, I'm not a christian, I just happen to think some people are less fortunate, and have to hold onto whatever they can, which they believe sincerely believe helps them live a good life.
I'm aware+disgusted by the hypocrisy + abuse of trust of priests + pedophiles, doesn't mean they all belong in one shoe box though.

Very well said...and completely ignored. You were attacked regardless. If you are not against Christianity than you are Christian and an enemy. Why Christians are so persecuted and viewed as "evil" is beyond me. The Christians I know and have known are the best of what humanity has to offer. They are kind, compassionate and generous. I agree they can be judgmental but absolutlely nothing like the venomous contempt and judgment anainst them. Everything in the end of that "ridiculous" book of the bible is coming to pass. The morality and secularism of the world,the global government, the persecution against them, the middle east conflicts....on and on. Is'nt liberalism supposed to be about celibration of differences and harmony...live and let live etc. The left has become the most intolerant and angry group of people.....there was a point to it in the past and now it's twisted and confused. I think more people are waking up and understanding that society actually does need morals and rules and order. Maybe having a mother and a father raising a child together isn't so bad, eating dinner together at night and COMMUNICATING with the family isn't so bad. Look at our childrens role models. Sit down for a couple of hours and watch their reality shows and their music. That's thier culture now thanks to cutting out the "ridiculous" Christianity in our country. Christianity and it's morals,family values and conservative politics was purposely attacked and removed from this country because it was the strongest glue of this country. Has it been for the better? I can't say that I've lived my life as a Christian, but I sure liked this country alot more when more people did....now go ahead and attack.

Conspirator

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:42 am » by sockpuppet

christomite wrote:
Very well said...and completely ignored. You were attacked regardless. If you are not against Christianity than you are Christian and an enemy. Why Christians are so persecuted and viewed as "evil" is beyond me. The Christians I know and have known are the best of what humanity has to offer. They are kind, compassionate and generous. I agree they can be judgmental but absolutlely nothing like the venomous contempt and judgment anainst them. Everything in the end of that "ridiculous" book of the bible is coming to pass. The morality and secularism of the world,the global government, the persecution against them, the middle east conflicts....on and on. Is'nt liberalism supposed to be about celibration of differences and harmony...live and let live etc. The left has become the most intolerant and angry group of people.....there was a point to it in the past and now it's twisted and confused. I think more people are waking up and understanding that society actually does need morals and rules and order. Maybe having a mother and a father raising a child together isn't so bad, eating dinner together at night and COMMUNICATING with the family isn't so bad. Look at our childrens role models. Sit down for a couple of hours and watch their reality shows and their music. That's thier culture now thanks to cutting out the "ridiculous" Christianity in our country. Christianity and it's morals,family values and conservative politics was purposely attacked and removed from this country because it was the strongest glue of this country. Has it been for the better? I can't say that I've lived my life as a Christian, but I sure liked this country alot more when more people did....now go ahead and attack.

I ain't gonna attack you, but can I buy you a beer? :cheers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

PreviousNext