I love America but this makes me glad I don't live there

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:45 pm

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:45 am » by Captainkarizma


"Very well said...and completely ignored. You were attacked regardless"


Who attacked his post? I was talking about John Shimkus.
:robot: this is the captain speaking :badair:

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 am

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:49 am » by Christomite


absolutely...I'm just a realist. I think of it in terms like that movie the dark crystal. We need to put the shard back in the crystal and see that yes we so need acceptance and tolerance and unity but also morality and common ground in which we live with order and that there is right and wrong.The pendulem always swings too far to the left or the right with same result of chaos.

Conspirator
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:23 am
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:50 am » by SamueltheLion


captainkarizma wrote:The gov. cannot be christian representing all the other religions or beliefs its crazy!.
This is absolutely no different than Iran . I fail to see where empathy is relevent here


the 'gov' doesn't exist, it's all just people, some with more arbitrary power, some with less.
The line in the sand is not a real one, we're still of the same race, remember?

the way to effect change is to communicate with people on the level which their channels for communication are open ;o

Then again, maybe my head is too far in the clouds, and i keep thinking above and beyond, (wasn't that buzz light years slogan?), and simply cannot fathom stupidity of the caliber you seem to be suggesting.
Maybe, Maybe, watcha gonna do about it baby?

Re: christomite, erm, I don't see where I was attacked, ignored, yes, attacked, no.
Anyway, that might just be another trick, fulfilling their own 'prophecy' to get christians to go to more wars, or do nothing whilst the 'good book' fulfills itself.
But yeah, venom is the right word. Many Mindless snakes :(
Ah, there's enough good books and teachers around, but so few people truly willing to try to understand them. The golden rule is golden for a reason, it leads to all kinds of gold: treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated, and it's all over the world, Kant, Christ, Buddha... Anyway, thanks for the compliment. It is kind of amazing, people bark about bush saying "if you're not with us, you're against us", and then, reason along those lines themselves, privately.

Anyway, still a long way from family being a good thing to, christianity being true right and necessary. Families are nice to have, some moral lessons in the bible are useful for family life, therefore, some families profit from the lessons.
Let's not flip-flop on the polarity spectrum, but walk the noble middle path. Balance, friend, always.
Your faith will make you whole

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 8041
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:19 pm

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:52 am » by Harbin


John Shimkus is no idiot.

http://shimkus.house.gov/
Image
Antiwar.com

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 am

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:55 am » by Christomite


captainkarizma wrote:"Very well said...and completely ignored. You were attacked regardless"


Who attacked his post? I was talking about John Shimkus.



Technically speaking fine...I'm not going to split hairs. I'm not trying to win an argument...just make a point...he quoted the bible,so what? If he attacked it would you care?

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 2:59 am
Location: Dublin

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:56 am » by Septeloid


samuelthemule wrote:and op: at least he cares that "we're destroying the earth", you're going to mock him for believing something other than what you do? Imo, in a way there's a profound irony in this thread and situation, some so called atheists seem to believe in the inevitability of destruction and 'apocalypse' (which btw, just means removal of the skin/cloak), and so, party and distract themselves endlessly, and some couldn't really care less about what happens to the world, as they believe they will be spending forever, or, not spending anytime anywhere after they die, whereas some christians, or those who believe in some organized fishy business religion, deny the inevitability or "fate" status of global apocalypse, so they do do something about it, when... where's the point if they think they're going to heaven?
And no, I'm not a christian, I just happen to think some people are less fortunate, and have to hold onto whatever they can, which they believe sincerely believe helps them live a good life.
I'm aware+disgusted by the hypocrisy + abuse of trust of priests + pedophiles, doesn't mean they all belong in one shoe box though.


I really think you have misconstrued my meaning and although I fully appreciate the tenacity of the argument in your posts on this thread, I have to say that I think you have completely missed the point.

I might add that I am not an atheist, and in defense of many atheists I know and have met here, they possess more humanity than a lot of non-atheists. In fact, many modern scientists (the vast majority of which are atheist) are actually concerned with the future of the planet but are not blinded by Godology, rather, they spend their working lives and more, trying to find a solution on a practical level, not just believing that God will solve all our problems.

I was mocking this guy for making a complete 'idiot' of himself in believing that us, the viewers, would actually believe him. Throw in a few bible quotes and religious references and the people are sure to respond favorably. Self-fulfilling prophecy can be self-destroying I suppose..

And also, if you will excuse me for reminding you, we are lucky enough to have been born in a society that more or less allows free speech. It is very easy for you to say what you want here and not suffer the consequences. Such a pity you did not voice your opinion so strongly to your neighbour instead of going along with the 'consensus'.

Cowardice and hypocracy, it seems, are very common traits in people.

:flop:
Image
''A man with nothing left becomes fully empowered, and he is the most unassailable weapon.''
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZ8B8u4CUo

Conspirator
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:23 am
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 am » by SamueltheLion


septeloid wrote:
samuelthemule wrote:and op: at least he cares that "we're destroying the earth", you're going to mock him for believing something other than what you do? Imo, in a way there's a profound irony in this thread and situation, some so called atheists seem to believe in the inevitability of destruction and 'apocalypse' (which btw, just means removal of the skin/cloak), and so, party and distract themselves endlessly, and some couldn't really care less about what happens to the world, as they believe they will be spending forever, or, not spending anytime anywhere after they die, whereas some christians, or those who believe in some organized fishy business religion, deny the inevitability or "fate" status of global apocalypse, so they do do something about it, when... where's the point if they think they're going to heaven?
And no, I'm not a christian, I just happen to think some people are less fortunate, and have to hold onto whatever they can, which they believe sincerely believe helps them live a good life.
I'm aware+disgusted by the hypocrisy + abuse of trust of priests + pedophiles, doesn't mean they all belong in one shoe box though.


I really think you have misconstrued my meaning and although I fully appreciate the tenacity of the argument in your posts on this thread, I have to say that I think you have completely missed the point.

I might add that I am not an atheist, and in defense of many atheists I know and have met here, they possess more humanity than a lot of non-atheists. In fact, many modern scientists (the vast majority of which are atheist) are actually concerned with the future of the planet but are not blinded by Godology, rather, they spend their working lives and more, trying to find a solution on a practical level, not just believing that God will solve all our problems.

I was mocking this guy for making a complete 'idiot' of himself in believing that us, the viewers, would actually believe him. Throw in a few bible quotes and religious references and the people are sure to respond favorably. Self-fulfilling prophecy can be self-destroying I suppose..

And also, if you will excuse me for reminding you, we are lucky enough to have been born in a society that more or less allows free speech. It is very easy for you to say what you want here and not suffer the consequences. Such a pity you did not voice your opinion so strongly to your neighbour instead of going along with the 'consensus'.

Cowardice and hypocrisy, it seems, are very common traits in people.

:flop:


I didn't miss the point, I skimmed right past it and waved ;)
(after I realized there wasn't much of a point, to your point)

but hmm, yeah, I agree, cowardice and hypocrisy are common traits, not excluding myself.
I am fairly honest though, and try to be courageous when I feel I can, and should.
That night wasn't one of them, as I didn't want to endanger my relationship with them, as I get on very well with them, and he's a professor of philosophy, so, could also get into silly arguments.

All I'm hoping for is people to become more of who they already are.
So we can effect some change.

I really didn't see much of a point to your thread, so I posted a reply that came to mind.

I've accepted your jab, I did after all lay myself out in the open for it, but can you accept truth about yourself, from yourself, as well?
Or do you have to wait, until people are screaming it at you.

"That which you resist, persists".
Your faith will make you whole

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:45 pm

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 2:11 am » by Captainkarizma


Common sense should prevail above all else, but it seems the religious and the greedy have taken morals of humanity ,and twisted it into something that can fit into their paradigm.
Really what is soo wrong with common sense when you apply what really matters sustainability, enviromental and humanitarian ideals as your goals. I think any religion or belief structure would agree to those. Personal belifs are just that "personal" .
So should John Shimkus be in position of influence or power giving what he said ? which was basically don't worry we need to create jobs no matter what enviromental problems arise, because it is written in the bible.
Not to mention using creationism to ignore rising co2 levels. This guy is a real piece of work .
:robot: this is the captain speaking :badair:

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10861
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:36 am

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 3:46 am » by Lowsix


@ samuel the mule....

Both astoundingly perceptive posts.
Missed them the first run through...

very well said..

And @ Septeloid..
Im not convinced you understand why that guy was quoting the bible in the first place.
But i can see why you think it was the reasons you stated.

His MAIN point wasnt about the bible, had you listened to what he said..
It was about the ppm of carbon, now, compared to when it was 4000ppm and the size and diversity of the biomass life forms, THEREFORE blaming carbon itself, in a carbon starved timezone was irrational, and therefore inneffctive, not to mention doesnt eliminate of alleviate the end product of carbon pollution, it simply charges more to use it.

THERE was the point of the idiot Shimkus,
and if you can refute that scientifically, Ill be all ears.

But if its really MORE important for you to take shots at other people beliefs,
while taking them out of context so you can be witty about it, im with sam..

Ill just wave while passing by...perhaps glad you dont live here either.
Image
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 8041
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:19 pm

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 4:17 am » by Harbin


captainkarizma wrote:Common sense should prevail above all else, but it seems the religious and the greedy have taken morals of humanity ,and twisted it into something that can fit into their paradigm.
Really what is soo wrong with common sense when you apply what really matters sustainability, enviromental and humanitarian ideals as your goals. I think any religion or belief structure would agree to those. Personal belifs are just that "personal" .
So should John Shimkus be in position of influence or power giving what he said ? which was basically don't worry we need to create jobs no matter what enviromental problems arise, because it is written in the bible.
Not to mention using creationism to ignore rising co2 levels. This guy is a real piece of work .


[youtube]Vn8MZgZmeT4&[/youtube]
Image
Antiwar.com


PreviousNext

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook