I love America but this makes me glad I don't live there

Initiate

PostMon Nov 15, 2010 11:43 pm » by Septeloid

Upload to Disclose.tv

From the March 25, 2009 hearing of the U.S. House Subcommittee on Energy and Environment.

Don't worry folks!

God has it all under control!

Seriously.... WTF??!!

The girl in the background says it all. You can see at about 0:25 in she looks up and has to stop herself from bursting into laughter.

Anyway on a serious note, someone needs to tell Shimkus, based on his quote from Genesis, that God said He would not destroy the earth or it's creatures. God did not say, however, that he would stop human beings from doing it.

Now imagine that he actually gets to fulfill his aspiration of becoming the guy in charge of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.....
''A man with nothing left becomes fully empowered, and he is the most unassailable weapon.''
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZ8B8u4CUo

Conspirator

PostMon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 pm » by Epicfailure

Ahhh yes Mr. Shmuckus...

God will also wipe your ass for you after you shit out all of your paycheck for him.

the giant spaghetti monster wouldn't do that. (make you pay, not wipe your ass......well maybe he would)

Initiate

PostMon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 pm » by Captainkarizma

its fuckin scary that nut jobs like him are in positions of power . The world is screwed with that kind of leadership,wow !! .
THAT GUY NEEDS TO BE REMOVED ,how did he get into this position ? was he voted in? if so then the USA is getting what it deserves.
:robot: this is the captain speaking :badair:

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 am » by SamueltheLion

i had a discussion recently with my nextdoor neighbour and his wife, they were appaled about creationism and biblical literalists stating that the earth is 6000 years old, roughly, and that also, evolutionists didn't respond, or weren't convincing in their response.
I'm ashamed of what I ended up saying which was basically just succumbing to them and agreeing, and saying yes, it's utter nonsense because e.g 'Dr.Kent Hovind' tried to disprove carbon dating with the dating of a tree, stating no trees are older than 6000 years old, when actually, there are 10,000 year old trees, with 10,000 year tree rings.

I get the feeling people like railing against things which seem startling to them, because it makes them feel safe to have a 'consensus', right?
Well guess what, sci-fi lovers, you champions of rationality, you radiant heroes trumpeting free speech and intellect over dogma and bullshit, consensus really isn't a measure of anything much, learn to swim in deeper waters (or as was said of isaac newton: learn to travel along strange seas of thought, alone), if you were really above and beyond matters like this, as you enjoy pretending you are, it (this video) would not elicit the replies from you which it has, which are: vicious, cowardly, and, really, beneath what you are capable of.

The facts are, to continue the ridiculous example: you have not been around 6000 years, so you don't know, absolutely, unequivocally, that the earth was or was not created then.
So what makes you uneasy, is the 'cognitive dissonance' between this theory of reality, and what you have been told all of your life: that the earth is millions of years old and so on.

Honestly, what makes you think this is anything more than a slightly higher level of baaaa-ing, or moo-ing with the rest of the heard? I bet if I asked half of you, right now, without searching on the net, to prove, in scientifically acceptable terms, that the earth moves around the sun, and that the earth is older than 500 years, or any number of other questions, you could not answer them, even to your own satisfaction. Grow a back bone, and learn some humility "a funny thing, when you think you've got it, you've lost it".

I guess my point is, search within for your motivation as to why this upsets you so much, or makes you feel immediately uneasy, if he is such a child and clearly mentally handicapped, and you believe you could do a better job, then do it! Stop talking, and do it.
People claim because of such and such beliefs, the people that hold them must be absolute idiots, when, the actual truth is, very few people are actual 'idiots' (a term reserved for mentally handicapped unfortunates), but most people are cowards. Or shall we say, have not developed their courage yet ;)

Peace.

I don't mean to offend any of you personally, I just wish to offer you the truth as I see it.

And no, I don't happen to believe in the literal infallibility of the bible, but I do believe in common decency and respect, self-respect and so on.

edit: case in point, if things were as obvious as you claim them to be, what of the 1500 year dark age, was everyone in between the fall of rome and the rediscovery of the worth of empirical experiments, the renaissance etc, an absolute idiot?
...Stop focusing on the negative, and calling people idiots, and realize what a mighty achievement the knowledge which supports our current way of life really is.

and op: at least he cares that "we're destroying the earth", you're going to mock him for believing something other than what you do? Imo, in a way there's a profound irony in this thread and situation, some so called atheists seem to believe in the inevitability of destruction and 'apocalypse' (which btw, just means removal of the skin/cloak), and so, party and distract themselves endlessly, and some couldn't really care less about what happens to the world, as they believe they will be spending forever, or, not spending anytime anywhere after they die, whereas some christians, or those who believe in some organized fishy business religion, deny the inevitability or "fate" status of global apocalypse, so they do do something about it, when... where's the point if they think they're going to heaven?
And no, I'm not a christian, I just happen to think some people are less fortunate, and have to hold onto whatever they can, which they believe sincerely believe helps them live a good life.
I'm aware+disgusted by the hypocrisy + abuse of trust of priests + pedophiles, doesn't mean they all belong in one shoe box though.
Last edited by SamueltheLion on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your faith will make you whole

Initiate

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 12:33 am » by Captainkarizma

My problem with this is "we live in the now!" our problems are also. quoting scripture as solution the problem at hand is ridiculous . Where is it in the bible that god says how to fix our current energy problems?.
What kind of decision is this guy going to make with his current beliefs? .The world will not end in a flood because god said so?. WTF this guy is totally fucked in the head.
:robot: this is the captain speaking :badair:

Conspirator

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 12:35 am » by Nakchopoe

I guess they have not developed the courage yet.
Then others, who are quite smart enough, cant be arsed with taking political powers. They just make sure they live in a good place and don't get bothered by idiots.

As to why this upsets me so much:
This guy believes a book of which it is said it was written about 2000 years ago. 2000 years ago they did not have any clue about even the word 'technology', so they also didn't have the technology to research any claims.
Also I think it is quite stupid to claim that 'god' will protect the earth when you see pictures of places all over the world which show places that are really far away from nature. Places, which are a pure source of disease, disaster and death. And it is man made. Just like septeloid said: the story in the book states that god wont destroy its creation, but there's never ever any word about mankind not destroying themselves. And I truly believe that if we continue the way we do, the goal of getting the world population below 500.000.000 is easily achieved. As is the goal of extinguishing half of the worlds species.

"You watch television to turn your brain off and you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on."
- Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Computer and Pixar

youtube.com/watch?v=nLsCC0LZxkY

Conspirator

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 am » by SamueltheLion

yeah, good points, i get the arguments and objections, my focus was less on the actual issue and more the mentality, emotional side.

it's true, man may be the architect of his own demise... another reason to believe in free will and not debate things like determinism (i read freud was a determinist, i wonder if he'd have not turned out such a deluded senile fool if he hadn't (father of much modern propaganda, if you don't know)) or solipsism ("am i the only one here"?) with yourself but to do something about the things you can do something about :)

Initiate

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 am » by Stratosfear

What a simple-minded numbskull.
Image "In the wardrobe of my soul ... in the section labelled 'Shirts'"

Conspirator

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 12:49 am » by SamueltheLion

stratosfear wrote:What a simple-minded numbskull.

Oh really? Isn't it sort of profound?
I.e Don't worry about what you can't predict, just live your life as well as you can, the show will be over when it's over.

Didn't you get the memo? Climate Change/ Global Warming may be a huge scam... to get you to hate yourself, eat lots of carrots, and call for a mass cow-o-cide, to stop the farts.

Conspirator

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 am » by Epicfailure

captainkarizma wrote:My problem with this is "we live in the now!" our problems are also. quoting scripture as solution the problem at hand is ridiculous . Where is it in the bible that god says how to fix our current energy problems?.
What kind of decision is this guy going to make with his current beliefs? .The world will not end in a flood because god said so?. WTF this guy is totally fucked in the head.

right.

Next