DNA findings prove BigFoot is Real...

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 25, 2012 11:20 am » by Spock

George Knapp: I’m dreaming of a Bigfoot Christmas
5:57 pm - December 05, 2012

IN THE DARKENED elegance of La Scala restaurant, one of the most exhilarating — and chilling — conversations of my entire life spilled across the table. It happened more than two and a half years ago but is burned into my brain as if it transpired yesterday.

To my left sat a distinguished microbiologist, a scientist whose name is known all over the world but who keeps a low profile in his adopted town of Las Vegas. Two seats to my left was a former cop turned author and Bigfoot researcher named David Paulides. And to my right was Dr. Melba Ketchum, a DNA researcher who found herself in the middle of an unexpected but career-threatening controversy. It involves the hairy gent with Size 18, triple-wide feet, who is known by many names all over the world, but answers most often to his iconic nickname: Bigfoot.

Before I was allowed to see any of the key research material, I had to sign a nondisclosure agreement. I was thrilled to be among the first to see the information, but it has driven me crazy ever since. The only public utterance I’ve made is a prediction two years ago during a taping of the KLVX public affairs program Nevada Week in Review. Because of what I learned that fateful night, I made what seemed at the time to be a wacky, off-the-wall prediction during the program — that dramatic news would surface sometime in 2011 about the enigmatic beast known as Bigfoot.

Since then, I have been needled relentlessly by my journalism colleagues, including veteran TV host Mitch Fox and fellow panelists Steve Sebelius and Jon Ralston. Oh, the humanity. So where’s the Bigfoot news, they repeatedly asked. I have been unable to answer, and it has been tough.

The well-meaning Dr. Ketchum naively assumed that the world of science would welcome her data with open arms and open minds. Her initial draft of a scientific paper unwisely referred to the existence of a Bigfoot-like creature, and she was certain the information from her study would receive a fair hearing from the scientific world. My friend the microbiologist gave her the sad-but-true news that no mainstream science journal in the world would ever publish a paper, or allow for an honest peer review, of any paper that mentioned Bigfoot or Sasquatch by name. Unlike my TV prediction, that one proved prescient in the extreme.

In the ensuing years, there have been numerous attempts to sabotage and backstab Ketchum’s project. Leaks appeared in scientific forums online in an apparent attempt to torpedo her credibility even before the study’s findings were made public. The Bigfoot community has been even more vicious, mostly because so many of the true believers have staked out their own turf and do not want to see a scientific interloper like Ketchum upstage their often ridiculous assertions or to undercut public interest in the 800 or so cable TV shows about the search for Bigfoot.

The only reason I am able to say anything about the study is that Dr. Ketchum unwisely responded a few weeks ago to a spurious report from a Russian scientist about the findings. Ketchum confirmed that she has overseen the analysis of dozens of hair samples collected at the sites of alleged Bigfoot sightings. Those people who do not want the study to be true and don’t want to wait for results to be verified have teed off on Ketchum, have carved up her study, and have made it almost impossible for anyone to take the results seriously, even though not one of the critics have seen the actual data. Dr. Ketchum insists that a major science journal is concluding a rigorous review of her work and will publish the paper once the process is completed. I am not holding my breath.

Here is what I can say legally, now that Ketchum has lifted the cone of silence: Scores of hair samples were sent to a dozen well-respected DNA labs across the country. The people at the labs weren’t told anything about the samples. They performed DNA analysis in the blind, then sent the remarkable findings back to Ketchum. I’ll put it this way — this is spooky stuff. The results are unequivocal:

The hairs are NOT ONLY FROM AN UNKNOWN SPECIES , but they show a common link to humans.

In other words, whatever these creatures are, they share a common ancestry with humans dating back about 15,000 years. Half of the DNA in the samples is simply unknown.

The blind tests conducted by various labs weeded out known species such as bears or wolves. And in the end, they were left with the completely uncomfortable conclusion that the hairs came from a primate species previously unknown to science.

Since Dr. Ketchum made her premature defense of the study, responding to unfortunate leaks, an army of armchair critics have already dismissed the results without waiting to see the actual data. That’s not the way science is supposed to work, but it is exactly how modern science operates. It’s as much a religion as Catholicism or Mormonism, and anything that falls outside the accepted scriptures must be ridiculed.

All I can say is, why not wait until the raw information and DNA test results are made public before making pronouncements or reaching conclusions? I have been dying to say something about the study, especially because of the cruel taunting of Fox, Sebelius and Ralston, and because — you know — the world might end on December 21. (Nevada has had a smattering of Bigfoot sightings over the years, including a dramatic episode in January 1980 at the Nevada Test Site, of all places.) I am well aware of how goofy this must sound, but there is some compelling physical evidence to consider. Maybe it will receive a fair and open peer review, and maybe it won’t. Until we know, why not keep our minds open? It is exciting stuff to consider. If confirmed, it changes everything.

It should surprise no one that our little town played its own role in this weird, unfolding drama.

GEORGE KNAPP is a Peabody Award-winning investigative reporter for KLAS Channel 8. Reach him at gknapp@klastv.com

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 2:51 am » by Spock

Bump.

This is some big news.

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 2:54 am » by Spock

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/11/prweb10166775.htm

'Bigfoot' DNA Sequenced In Upcoming Genetics Study
Dallas, TX (PRWEB) November 24, 2012

A team of scientists can verify that their 5-year long DNA study, currently under peer-review, confirms the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, commonly called “Bigfoot” or “Sasquatch,” living in North America. Researchers’ extensive DNA sequencing suggests that the legendary Sasquatch is a human relative that arose approximately 15,000 years ago as a hybrid cross of modern Homo sapiens with an unknown primate species.

The study was conducted by a team of experts in genetics, forensics, imaging and pathology, led by Dr. Melba S. Ketchum of Nacogdoches, TX. In response to recent interest in the study, Dr. Ketchum can confirm that her team has sequenced 3 complete Sasquatch nuclear genomes and determined the species is a human hybrid:

“Our study has sequenced 20 whole mitochondrial genomes and utilized next generation sequencing to obtain 3 whole nuclear genomes from purported Sasquatch samples. The genome sequencing shows that Sasquatch mtDNA is identical to modern Homo sapiens, but Sasquatch nuDNA is a novel, unknown hominin related to Homo sapiens and other primate species. Our data indicate that the North American Sasquatch is a hybrid species, the result of males of an unknown hominin species crossing with female Homo sapiens.

Hominins are members of the taxonomic grouping Hominini, which includes all members of the genus Homo. Genetic testing has already ruled out Homo neanderthalis and the Denisova hominin as contributors to Sasquatch mtDNA or nuDNA. “The male progenitor that contributed the unknown sequence to this hybrid is unique as its DNA is more distantly removed from humans than other recently discovered hominins like the Denisovan individual,” explains Ketchum.

“Sasquatch nuclear DNA is incredibly novel and not at all what we had expected. While it has human nuclear DNA within its genome, there are also distinctly non-human, non-archaic hominin, and non-ape sequences. We describe it as a mosaic of human and novel non-human sequence. Further study is needed and is ongoing to better characterize and understand Sasquatch nuclear DNA.”

Ketchum is a veterinarian whose professional experience includes 27 years of research in genetics, including forensics. Early in her career she also practiced veterinary medicine, and she has previously been published as a participant in mapping the equine genome. She began testing the DNA of purported Sasquatch hair samples 5 years ago.

Ketchum calls on public officials and law enforcement to immediately recognize the Sasquatch as an indigenous people:

“Genetically, the Sasquatch are a human hybrid with unambiguously modern human maternal ancestry. Government at all levels must recognize them as an indigenous people and immediately protect their human and Constitutional rights against those who would see in their physical and cultural differences a ‘license’ to hunt, trap, or kill them.”

Full details of the study will be presented in the near future when the study manuscript publishes.

###

Dr. Ketchum is available for interview or to answer further questions about the Sasquatch genome study and associated research on novel contemporary hominins at media(at)dnadiagnostics(dot)com

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 2:57 am » by ZetaRediculous

Here is the show where he interviews Dr Ketchum...

Apparently he had to sign a Non disclosure agreement when he first saw the results. the paper has been sent for peer review..

Upload to Disclose.tv

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 3:01 am » by ZetaRediculous

As you said Spock, this is very big news. Hopefully it will get in power to stop any kind of hunting of Sasquatch.

The fact that it seems to be an offshoot/hybrid of reasonably modern humans really does put into question what should be done about it's habitats.

Dr Ketchum has provided lots of videos and multiple proof of non-contamination. So the question is... Why isn't this in the MSM???
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Initiate

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 5:18 am » by Electriccity

i mean just look at all the amazing and crazy creatures on earth now and what we discovered from what lived here in the past and have to be a little ignorant to think that creature like Bigfoot doesn't or didn't exist at one point in time. does it still exist thats the ? but im 99% sure that a bigfoot type creature exist at some point in time

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 12:12 pm » by ZetaRediculous

Electriccity wrote:i mean just look at all the amazing and crazy creatures on earth now and what we discovered from what lived here in the past and have to be a little ignorant to think that creature like Bigfoot doesn't or didn't exist at one point in time. does it still exist thats the ? but im 99% sure that a bigfoot type creature exist at some point in time

Maybe you should A) read the OP. B) Watch the vid. DR Ketchum is a scientist who has led a team of other scientists to determine the genetic make-up of one of the worlds most enigmatic creatures. The paper is currently under peer review. They prove beyond a shadow of a doubt it is real and is related to us.
― Terry Pratchett

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 12:16 pm » by ZetaRediculous

Oh yeah, apparently in her interview with George Knapp on C2C, there is a video that she saw and she says is better than anything out there at the moment, including the Patterson film, including some good close ups..
― Terry Pratchett

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 1:14 pm » by Nihilgeist

Spock wrote:Bump.

This is some big news.

Eh, this is some old news...one that you posted on yourself a month ago, though the new article by Knapp is nice to read.
Five Finger Death Punch
"I'd rather you hate me, for everything I am than ever love me, for something that I'm not."

Lowsix wrote:Seriously dude..you're trash.
Always have been.

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 1:23 pm » by Nihilgeist

ZetaRediculous wrote:
Dr Ketchum has provided lots of videos and multiple proof of non-contamination. So the question is... Why isn't this in the MSM???

Cause they're jackasses that still won't take it seriously?

http://io9.com/5964012/geneticist-claims-to-have-sequenced-bigfoot-dna

A recent press release from DNA Diagnostics opens thusly, "A team of scientists can verify that their 5-year long DNA study, currently under peer-review, confirms the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, commonly called "Bigfoot" or "Sasquatch," living in North America."

Wow, so there you have it, folks — Bigfoot is real because genes. *Sighs* Okay, let's take a closer look at this "finding".
According to Melba S. Ketchum, "extensive DNA sequencing" is indicating that Sasquatch is a human offshoot that emerged in North America about 15,000 years ago after interbreeding with humans and an unknown primate species. Cuz, you know, there were unknown primate species all over North America at the time.

Sweeping that inconvenient reality aside, Ketchum says they sequenced three complete Sasquatch nuclear genomes, which led her to conclude that there's a hybrid on the loose — the elusive and xenophobic Sasquatch. She writes:

"Our study has sequenced 20 whole mitochondrial genomes and utilized next generation sequencing to obtain 3 whole nuclear genomes from purported Sasquatch samples. The genome sequencing shows that Sasquatch mtDNA is identical to modern Homo sapiens, but Sasquatch nuDNA is a novel, unknown hominin related to Homo sapiens and other primate species. Our data indicate that the North American Sasquatch is a hybrid species, the result of males of an unknown hominin species crossing with female Homo sapiens.

Genetic testing, say the researchers, has already ruled out Neanderthals and the Denisovans as contributors to Sasquatch mtDNA or nuDNA. "The male progenitor that contributed the unknown sequence to this hybrid is unique as its DNA is more distantly removed from humans than other recently discovered hominins like the Denisovan individual," says Ketchum.

"Sasquatch nuclear DNA is incredibly novel and not at all what we had expected. While it has human nuclear DNA within its genome, there are also distinctly non-human, non-archaic hominin, and non-ape sequences. We describe it as a mosaic of human and novel non-human sequence. Further study is needed and is ongoing to better characterize and understand Sasquatch nuclear DNA."

Needless to say, the "study," which is purportedly under peer review, has already been met with a flurry of criticism. Our favorite retort comes from Eric Berger at the Houston Chronicle who writes:

Wow, so that's all very science-y sounding and official and stuff. It must be true. Mustn't it?

RIIIIIIGHT.

There are several significant issues with this. First is this line from the news release, "Full details of the study will be presented in the near future when the study manuscript publishes."

That is a massive red flag. Real research scientists almost never pre-announce their research findings. That is, they don't go public with big news until it has been vetted by peer reviewers and, at the very least, been accepted for publication. In this case Ketchum is stating a discovery as scientific fact before other scientists have studied her evidence. In effect she is using the mantle of science to confer credibility on her discovery, without actually deserving the credibility.

That's a big no-no.

And as Berger also points out, Ketchum's company, DNA Diagnostics, got an "F" from the Better Business Bureau and has had more than a dozen complaints lodged against it.

There's also the question as to where Ketchum et al got the DNA sample. That would be important to mention, no?

Well, as further digging reveals, the DNA sample was acquired from a blueberry bagel left in the backyard of a Michigan home that, according to the owner, is regularly visited by Bigfoot. How nice.

Yeah, thinking that the study won't make it past the peer review stage (if it's even there at all) — but given that Ketchum is making a documentary about her finding, it's very possible that we haven't heard that last of this story yet.

Unfortunately.

H/t Slashgear.

Next