I Need Some Advice Please

Initiate

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 9:21 am » by Tntbw

Hello friends,
I am at a crossroads in my life. I was very fortunate to get the opportunity to get a free college degree because of the situation for which I became unemployed. Basically my job went overseas so The Trade Act permitted me to go to college for free. The only problem is my Associates degree will not get me very far in the job market. Most IT fields requires at least a Bachelors Degree or 5 years years experience.
So my question is this. Should I take on massive debt to carry on to get a Bachelor's Degree or not? Part of me wants to just go back to work with the best job I can find, but then again if I carry on, it might just pay off.
I'm taking a huge chance that some people might have some sound advice, so please be kind. Any suggestions?

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 9:31 am » by Svaha

Be creative, make programs, debug online stuff, so your name will be known.
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Super Moderator

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 11:51 am » by Slith

Use your head, yet follow your heart. It will work out in the end for you

I'm in desperate need of a 6 month vacation... twice a year.

Initiate

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 pm » by Frankenstein

tntbw wrote:Most IT fields requires at least a Bachelors Degree or 5 years years experience.

Most companies looking to employ someone want to know how well they will do at their job. A degree is their "benchmark" for this, but it is not the only evidence. Learn what you want to do and then show your prospective employers what you can do.

For example, if it is programming, then write a program specifically for the employer before you go to the interview and show them the quality of your work (including commenting).

Many human resource people really are quite stupid and only follow guidelines, but even here, there are ways around for a persistent, clever and inventive person.

Do not allow the box to dictate where you will go. MOVE the box, or get rid of it all together.

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 12:49 pm » by Tertiusgaudens

Go to a college guy and ask for a talk. He can adyice you.

I think, going back for making your Bachelor is not a bad idea. But go to a college and ask for a talk. I`m sure they will help you making a good decision.

And, btw, crossroads in life are really gifts from heaven...
Hope is the thing with feathers...
Emily Dickinson

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 1:54 pm » by Cwmman

Do what you think will make you happier, its great to have plenty of $ in your pocket/bank but that aint gonna make you or anyone around you any happier when you come home from work after a shitty day in a shitty mood........ :sunny:
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—
after they’ve tried everything else.
Winston Churchill.

Initiate

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 7:13 pm » by Tntbw

Thank you all for the advice. :flop:

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 7:15 pm » by 99socks

:look:
I can't speak about how much of the Constitution is in effect anymore... But thank God we still somewhat resemble a Republic and not a democracy!

http://thethinkingapostate.ghost.io/

Initiate

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm » by Tntbw

99socks wrote::look:

What does that mean? :?: