intelligence and religion

Writer

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 7:25 am » by Eyezwideopen

I would like to pose a question to D.T.V. viewers.

Do you think that the more intelligent some one is, the less likely they will belong to an organized religion?.

my belief is that that the more intelligent you are, the more you believe in A "God" and the less you believe in any organized religion.

Conspirator

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 7:58 am » by Iwanci

hmmmmm... ok.. where to begin..

Intelligence and religion are not mutually inclusive nor exclusive.

Intelligence is defined by the individual who perceives it.. I mean, intelligence and the level of intelligence is really defined by the person who is assessing it. Sure, we do have standards that society uses to ascertain the 'level' of intelligence, but let's be honest, if I am soooo intelligent that in my answers no one comprehends what I am saying because I am ahead of my time, then who would know about the heightened level of my intelligence bar from me? So to others I may just be mad..

Religion must also not get confused with belief.. so, whilst I can believe in a god I do not necessarily need to conform to a set of rules or standards that limit my belief, which to me is what religion does. It takes a person's belief and puts it nicely into a box.

Intelligent people could believe in many things, perhaps the belief in a greater being or an after life makes this person more open to the possibilities and this reflects a level of intelligence in that the person is able to think beyond that which is plainly in sight and tangible. But, at what point does this intelligence become detrimental and appear unintelligible? I believe there is a truth in the contradiction here, when you open your mind far enough to confine yourself to a belief.. this effectively and simply replaces one thought with another... so whilst exploring the possibilities open the mind, finding or settling on a one of the possibilities has the effect of closing the mind.

This is where religious belief is self limiting.

So intelligent enough and dumb enough to realise.

IMO
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Conspirator

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 2:18 pm » by Noentry

Intelligence has a very broad field.

having good understanding or a high mental capacity; quick to comprehend, as persons or animals: an intelligent student.
displaying or characterized by quickness of understanding, sound thought, or good judgment: an intelligent reply.
having the faculty of reasoning and understanding; possessing intelligence: intelligent beings in outer space.
Computers. pertaining to the ability to do data processing locally; smart: An intelligent terminal can edit input before transmission to a host computer. Compare dumb ( def 8 ) .
Archaic. having understanding or knowledge (usually followed by of ).
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intelligent

I would say the more intelligent you get on the subject of Religion vs atheism ( which ever side you are on ) the more you realize the other side is more then likely just as right as yours.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Super Moderator

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 2:25 pm » by TheDuck

Eyezwideopen wrote:I would like to pose a question to D.T.V. viewers.

Do you think that the more intelligent some one is, the less likely they will belong to an organized religion?.

my belief is that that the more intelligent you are, the more you believe in A "God" and the less you believe in any organized religion.

I'm down with that theory, I believe in God but have no use whatsoever for religion. :flop:
www.Vigusto.com - Premium E-liquid

"The Truth Cannot Be Told... It Must Be Realized"

Conspirator

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 6:06 pm » by Webcat

TheDuck wrote:
Eyezwideopen wrote:I would like to pose a question to D.T.V. viewers.

I'm down with that theory, I believe in God but have no use whatsoever for religion. :flop:

I was about to write something similar to theduck - but what he says is good enough for me and would reflect my opinion on the subject - I did do a thread called the 'The empty house' or something similar about God and organised religion - but it disappeared in the great crash of '13. :mrgreen:

:cheers:

Writer

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 12:50 am » by Eyezwideopen

thank you to those that have taken the time to reply... and those that are going to.

I was thinking more in the analytical perspective of plotting on a graph lets say, a group of 100 below average, 100 average, 100 above average intelligence people. all of whom believe in church and/or God.

first, can we all agree that we can create these groups. I am certain that ( but still an assumption ) that we can. I personally do not equate intelligence with what is learned. rather I equate it with ones ability to learn.

second, I know that there will be an array of beliefs in all groups. ( again, I know I am assuming that we agree such groups can be created. ) but on we go.

so the question is, if you plotted on a graph, religious participation and/or belief in God. what would the graphs look like? and how would they compare?

Conspirator

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 1:02 am » by Fatdogmendoza

Yeah you gotta be thick to believe in God, Yeah you gotta be thick not to believe in God...Very good question Eyezwideopen.... :flop:
Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Conspirator
Location: Questioning Building 7,.......... Stop HAARP ..........Stop HydroFracking

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 1:58 am » by Hurtswhenipee

Fatdogmendoza wrote:Yeah you gotta be thick to believe in God, Yeah you gotta be thick not to believe in God...Very good question Eyezwideopen.... :flop:

Unrelated to post just want to say thanks to Fatdog for looking out for me. Your a good friend.
ImageImage
9/11 was an inside job! Question everything.

Conspirator

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 10:20 am » by Iwanci

Intelligence is required in order to believe in religion.... (regardless of whether or not you agree in the religion or the belief, the act of believing requires intelligence).

Religion is not required for one to be intelligent.... (whether or not you agree on any definition of intelligence, you do not need to be religious to make a judgement on the level of intelligence)

So, you can intelligence without religion, but not religion without intelligence...
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Conspirator

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 10:54 am » by mediasorcery

The issue here is that intelligence is a fluid entity, ie it is not stagnant, it evolves in time , it constantly evolves, or can devolve too, you could be dumb as fuk one day and brilliant the next, so how do you peg that? and on what level, emotional, mental, spiritual?

come off it.
the story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye, until we meet again my friend.

Next