Internet Use May be Qualified as Mental Illness

Conspirator

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 pm » by Noentry

The researchers are investigating whether the so-called “Internet-use” disorder exists and whether it should appear in the worldwide psychiatric manual. The study suggested that children who are addicted to using electronic devices around the clock can be diagnosed by the psychiatrist as having a serious mental illness.

According to Professor of Psychology Mike Kyrios, the children addicted to gaming have an obvious problem with Internet use. However, the technology itself also poses a potential problem. The researchers claim that addiction to video games and Internet has the same characteristics as other addictions: people suffer emotional shutdown and lack of concentration when addicted to the Internet. Moreover, they show withdrawal symptoms when the gadgets they use to access the web are removed. Apparently, this will have a devastating impact for children and families, because it is often noticed that both social interaction and food can be neglected in favor of the Internet.

The decision to include “Internet use” disorder into the list of mental illnesses was taken by the Australian Psychological Society, which has a submission to the international manual (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). The manual in question will be revised next May, and the new edition may include “Internet use” disorder as an illness recommended for further investigation.

For the United States it will mean that kids could be over-treated and even medicated for playing computer games for too long. Actually, it seems that any activity in the USA will soon involve expensive medication.

http://extratorrent.com/article/2476/in ... lness.html
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 am » by Toxic32

We all have to make a living. Each to their own.

I question everything. I don't believe anything I'm told or anything I see. Prove it, or fuck off. And that's not me I see in the mirror in the morning.

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 am » by SUKHOV

Noentry wrote:The researchers are investigating whether the so-called “Internet-use” disorder exists and whether it should appear in the worldwide psychiatric manual. The study suggested that children who are addicted to using electronic devices around the clock can be diagnosed by the psychiatrist as having a serious mental illness.

According to Professor of Psychology Mike Kyrios, the children addicted to gaming have an obvious problem with Internet use. However, the technology itself also poses a potential problem. The researchers claim that addiction to video games and Internet has the same characteristics as other addictions: people suffer emotional shutdown and lack of concentration when addicted to the Internet. Moreover, they show withdrawal symptoms when the gadgets they use to access the web are removed. Apparently, this will have a devastating impact for children and families, because it is often noticed that both social interaction and food can be neglected in favor of the Internet.

The decision to include “Internet use” disorder into the list of mental illnesses was taken by the Australian Psychological Society, which has a submission to the international manual (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). The manual in question will be revised next May, and the new edition may include “Internet use” disorder as an illness recommended for further investigation.

For the United States it will mean that kids could be over-treated and even medicated for playing computer games for too long. Actually, it seems that any activity in the USA will soon involve expensive medication.

http://extratorrent.com/article/2476/in ... lness.html

They will call the new drug for "game/internet sickness" Game-butrol

:vomit:

Why must we medicate everything to the point of a brave new world?

Good find though!
The True Sons of Liberty are alive and well.
Мое сердце, мой спаситель, да будет свет.

Master Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:36 am » by Cornbread714

Actually, it seems that any activity in the USA will soon involve expensive medication.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh, puke or cry.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:44 am » by SUKHOV

Cornbread714 wrote:
Actually, it seems that any activity in the USA will soon involve expensive medication.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh, puke or cry.

WE shall take one pill, then laugh, take another, cry, after that, the last, then we shall puke!
:clapper:

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 3:07 am » by Noentry

Travvysavvy thanks :cheers:

Cornbread my sentiments exactly.
:cheers:

Toxic32 :lol:
:cheers:
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 am » by Noentry

Is 'Internet-use disorder' a psychiatric condition?

Upload to Disclose.tv

NeuRA's Prof Rhoshel Lenroot discusses the possible inclusion of 'Internet-use disorder' in the next revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV) with Murray Shoring and Sally Chester-Law on 4BC Afternoons on Monday 1 October 2012.

:bullshit:
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 am » by Noentry

Internet-use disorder

Upload to Disclose.tv

A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:49 am » by Noentry

There is some evidence that Internet addiction permanently damages many of the brain regions that are similarly affected by drug or alcohol addiction. In a study published last year, for example, Chinese researchers found reductions in brain volume in 18 young people who were addicted to the Internet compared with the brain volumes of non-addicts. The Internet addicts' diminished brain regions included areas believed to play a role in emotional processing, executive thinking skills, attention and cognitive control. Furthermore, those who had been addicted longer had lower volumes in those brain regions, suggesting a cumulative effect.

Another study published in 2009 found that when online gaming addicts were shown screenshots of the games they used, they exhibited brain activity associated with the feeling of an urge or craving. This is what happens when substance addicts see cues of their drug of choice.

Still, not everyone is convinced that IUD should be classified as a mental health disorder. Some have argued that diagnoses of Internet addiction, like those of shopping addiction, sex addiction and food addiction, are really just symptoms of "the creeping medicalization of everyday life," in the words of Vaughan Bell at Slate. "Almost any problem of excess can now be portrayed as an individual falling foul of a major mental illness," Bell wrote.

http://news.yahoo.com/internet-disorder-212614333.html

As a kid you would have to drag me away from playing or having fun.
That is the nature of kids.

I think this new classification of mental illness is :bullshit:
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 7:03 pm » by SUKHOV

I totally agree with you NE.

Not to mention the association with losing brain functions seems like bullshit.

Next