Is god an atheist? discusssion

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 am » by SamueltheLion

Is god an atheist?

Answer the question as you please

:rtft:

:hugging:

oh and before someone comes along and tries to report me or whatever for ... here are some of my thoughts, i just don't wanna crowd your mind with them, before you have had a chance to think about it yourself

the syntactic structures of our language are funny to play around with, it's like scraping at the sky, the roof of your head. when you get to that stage at which your "calculator" i.e the grammar in your mind only returns results which say things like "syntax error", you know you're doing something very "right" or very "left". I for one, enjoy stepping past the constant babble and having to put up with the gnawing angst of demons in me, always trying to distract me with bullshit. Throw a spanner in the works like this, and that'll silence me for a while, mwuahaha

Confusion Incites argumentation,
whereas understanding inspires silence

:cheers:
Your faith will make you whole

Conspirator

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 2:43 am » by Constabul

Super Moderator

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 2:51 am » by Slith

Whose God would you be referring to exactly?

Initiate

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 5:18 pm » by Malkere

the initial response is, that makes no sense.
but to think about it for a minute... in a way... I could see how you could say yes...

after all, our God may only be the God of this galaxy. Maybe he's buddies with dozens of other Gods and they all go out for drinks on Sundays. Maybe he's just the designated protector of this Galaxy. Maybe he's the scientist controlling this experiment for his thesis. ??

For me anyway, accepting the fact that God exists (and I won't go into the specifics, is he all loving, is he all doing, is he all knowing, etc) and continuing to wonder beyond that I eventually came to understand that there is actually more than God. God is not the end, nor the highest. Definitely, with the Human mind comprehending God's awesomeness is not possible, so trying to imagine greater is ever less probable, but I believe there is even more, in fact no end, no top.

So... in a way... considering that this reality and all above and below, simply exist for their various reasons, and people and Gods and everything above and below simply do what the do because it is what they are... Perhaps God understands, there is no top, no end goal, no big dog in the sky that has and end say in everything. Maybe the most powerful magician in this universe, but maybe not compared to upstairs?

Perhaps God wonders if there really is anything greater than him or not.

ps: is my avatar broken...? was working fine until now?... I'll look again tomorrow...
To realize that you do not understand is a virtue;
Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect. -Lao Tzu

Conspirator

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 5:36 pm » by Constabul

malkere wrote:
ps: is my avatar broken...? was working fine until now?... I'll look again tomorrow...

You have to reload it, there have been site hiccups since you were last on.

Conspirator

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 6:06 pm » by Bleever

God the father and Jesus Christ God the son refer to themselves as"I Am". God has no beginning and no end. So to ask if God doesn't believe in himself "as always" and "will always be" is to assume God does not exist.
Jesus died our death so that we may receive His life.

Initiate

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 6:27 pm » by Malkere

bleever wrote:God the father and Jesus Christ God the son refer to themselves as"I Am". God has no beginning and no end. So to ask if God doesn't believe in himself "as always" and "will always be" is to assume God does not exist.

I don't understand "Jesus Christ God"? Jesus is Jesus, God is God, why do people mix them up all the time?

I skipped some of the steps you're taking here without thinking about it though... I was assuming asking God if he is atheist means asking God if he doesn't believe in an Ultimate creator. In which case I rambled on about things being more powerful than God. Not that God has a beginning or an end, many would argue that you to have no beginning nor end, you simply are, and always will be.

Asking God if he believes in himself is kind of... an oxymoron? or something of that nature so I hadn't really considered it...? That's another way to look at it though.
To realize that you do not understand is a virtue;
Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect. -Lao Tzu

Conspirator

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 pm » by Bleever

malkere wrote:
bleever wrote:God the father and Jesus Christ God the son refer to themselves as"I Am". God has no beginning and no end. So to ask if God doesn't believe in himself "as always" and "will always be" is to assume God does not exist.

I don't understand "Jesus Christ God"? Jesus is Jesus, God is God, why do people mix them up all the time?

I skipped some of the steps you're taking here without thinking about it though... I was assuming asking God if he is atheist means asking God if he doesn't believe in an Ultimate creator. In which case I rambled on about things being more powerful than God. Not that God has a beginning or an end, many would argue that you to have no beginning nor end, you simply are, and always will be.

Asking God if he believes in himself is kind of... an oxymoron? or something of that nature so I hadn't really considered it...? That's another way to look at it though.

Well yes, Jesus Christ is God and he said this more than once. He was the God who spoke to Moses through the burning bush. Jesus God the son came to earth and lived as a man and lived without sin. Who died on the cross for our sins as the lamb of God. 3 days later defeated death...anyhow, the point I'm talking about is the Holy Trinity...

A great book to read is Bible Doctrine by Wayne Grudem

Conspirator

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 7:08 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

Probably an atheist....

How Many Gods Does God Say There Are?
Scriptures that show there is only one God

Some Bible passages are difficult to understand. Others are easy. The Bible has many plain, simple, straightforward, unambiguous verses, and these are the verses we should study first when we want to understand what the Bible teaches. Understanding the plain, straightforward verses then becomes our basis for understanding the more difficult verses. The plain verses become the foundation for the rest of our biblical understanding. We build on those.

By building such a foundation, we have something to go back to when we have difficulty understanding other verses. We can take the "difficult" verses and explain them within the context of the plain, straightforward ones. This assures us that our explanations and understanding conform with the foundational verses.

Rather than throw out or ignore those simple, straightforward verses, we should throw out the explanations that contradict them. This is sound reasoning, and in theological terms, fulfills the requirements of sound exegesis. With that in mind, we will list a few straightforward verses about God. Specifically, we will study verses that discuss how many God is.

Exodus 20:2-3: "I am the Lord your God.... You shall have no other gods before me."
Exodus 34:14: "Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."
Deuteronomy 4:35: "You were shown these things so that you might know that the Lord is God; besides him there is no other."
Deuteronomy 4:39: "Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other."
Deuteronomy 6:4-5: "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."
Deuteronomy 32:39: "See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me."
1 Samuel 2:1-2: "My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high.... There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God."
2 Samuel 7:22: "How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears."
2 Samuel 22:32: "For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?"
2 Kings 19:15-19: "Hezekiah prayed to the Lord: `O Lord, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth. Give ear, O Lord, and hear; open your eyes, O Lord, and see; listen to the words Sennacherib has sent to insult the living God. It is true, O Lord, that the Assyrian kings have laid waste these nations and their lands. They have thrown their gods into the fire and destroyed them, for they were not gods but only wood and stone, fashioned by men's hands. Now, O Lord our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O Lord, are God.'...
Psalm 18:30-31: "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.... For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?"
Psalm 83:18: "Let them know that you, whose name is the Lord — that you alone are the Most High over all the earth.": "Let them know that you, whose name is the Lord — that you alone are the Most High over all the earth."
Isaiah 43:10, 13: "`You are my witnesses,' declares the Lord, `and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior.... Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?'"
Isaiah 44:6-8: "This is what the Lord says — Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come — yes, let him foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.": "This is what the Lord says — Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come — yes, let him foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."
Isaiah 44:24: "This is what the Lord says — your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself.": "This is what the Lord says — your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself."
Isaiah 45:5-6: "I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is no other."
Isaiah 45:18: "For this is what the Lord says — he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited — he says: `I am the Lord, and there is no other.'": "For this is what the Lord says — he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited — he says: `I am the Lord, and there is no other.'"
Isaiah 45:21-22: "Declare what is to be, present it — let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me.": "Declare what is to be, present it — let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me."
Isaiah 46:9: "Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me."
Hosea 13:4: "But I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt. You shall acknowledge no God but me, no Savior but me."
Malachi 2:10: "Have we not all one Father? Did not one God create us?"
Matthew 4:9-10: "`All this I will give you,' he said, `if you will bow down and worship me.' Jesus said to him, `Away from me, Satan! For it is written: `Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"
Matthew 19:17: "`Why do you ask me about what is good?' Jesus replied. `There is only One who is good.'"
Matthew 23:8: "But you are not to be called `Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers."
Mark 10:18: "`Why do you call me good?' Jesus answered. `No one is good — except God alone.'": "`Why do you call me good?' Jesus answered. `No one is good — except God alone.'"
Mark 12:32-34: "`Well said, teacher,' the man replied. `You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.' When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, `You are not far from the kingdom of God.'"
Luke 1:49: "For the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is his name.": "For the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is his name."
John 5:42-44: "I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me: but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?"
John 17:3: "This is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."
Romans 3:29-30: "Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, since there is only one God."
Romans 16:27: "To the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen."
1 Corinthians 8:4-6: "So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world, and that there is no God but one. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many `gods' and many `lords'), yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."
Galatians 3:19-20: "The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator. A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one."
Ephesians 4:6: "One God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."
1 Timothy 1:17: "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."
1 Timothy 2:5: "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."
1 Timothy 6:13-16: "In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to keep this commandment without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which God will bring about in his own time — God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen."
James 2:19: "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that — and shudder.": "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that — and shudder."
James 4:12: "There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy."
Jude 25: "To the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

http://www.gci.org/God/howmany
Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Conspirator

PostThu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm » by Bleever

fatdogmendoza wrote:Probably an atheist....

How Many Gods Does God Say There Are?
Scriptures that show there is only one God

Some Bible passages are difficult to understand. Others are easy. The Bible has many plain, simple, straightforward, unambiguous verses, and these are the verses we should study first when we want to understand what the Bible teaches. Understanding the plain, straightforward verses then becomes our basis for understanding the more difficult verses. The plain verses become the foundation for the rest of our biblical understanding. We build on those.

By building such a foundation, we have something to go back to when we have difficulty understanding other verses. We can take the "difficult" verses and explain them within the context of the plain, straightforward ones. This assures us that our explanations and understanding conform with the foundational verses.

Rather than throw out or ignore those simple, straightforward verses, we should throw out the explanations that contradict them. This is sound reasoning, and in theological terms, fulfills the requirements of sound exegesis. With that in mind, we will list a few straightforward verses about God. Specifically, we will study verses that discuss how many God is.

Exodus 20:2-3: "I am the Lord your God.... You shall have no other gods before me."
Exodus 34:14: "Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."
Deuteronomy 4:35: "You were shown these things so that you might know that the Lord is God; besides him there is no other."
Deuteronomy 4:39: "Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other."
Deuteronomy 6:4-5: "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."
Deuteronomy 32:39: "See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me."
1 Samuel 2:1-2: "My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high.... There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God."
2 Samuel 7:22: "How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears."
2 Samuel 22:32: "For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?"
2 Kings 19:15-19: "Hezekiah prayed to the Lord: `O Lord, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth. Give ear, O Lord, and hear; open your eyes, O Lord, and see; listen to the words Sennacherib has sent to insult the living God. It is true, O Lord, that the Assyrian kings have laid waste these nations and their lands. They have thrown their gods into the fire and destroyed them, for they were not gods but only wood and stone, fashioned by men's hands. Now, O Lord our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O Lord, are God.'...
Psalm 18:30-31: "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.... For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?"
Psalm 83:18: "Let them know that you, whose name is the Lord — that you alone are the Most High over all the earth.": "Let them know that you, whose name is the Lord — that you alone are the Most High over all the earth."
Isaiah 43:10, 13: "`You are my witnesses,' declares the Lord, `and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior.... Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?'"
Isaiah 44:6-8: "This is what the Lord says — Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come — yes, let him foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.": "This is what the Lord says — Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come — yes, let him foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."
Isaiah 44:24: "This is what the Lord says — your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself.": "This is what the Lord says — your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself."
Isaiah 45:5-6: "I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is no other."
Isaiah 45:18: "For this is what the Lord says — he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited — he says: `I am the Lord, and there is no other.'": "For this is what the Lord says — he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited — he says: `I am the Lord, and there is no other.'"
Isaiah 45:21-22: "Declare what is to be, present it — let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me.": "Declare what is to be, present it — let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me."
Isaiah 46:9: "Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me."
Hosea 13:4: "But I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt. You shall acknowledge no God but me, no Savior but me."
Malachi 2:10: "Have we not all one Father? Did not one God create us?"
Matthew 4:9-10: "`All this I will give you,' he said, `if you will bow down and worship me.' Jesus said to him, `Away from me, Satan! For it is written: `Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"
Matthew 19:17: "`Why do you ask me about what is good?' Jesus replied. `There is only One who is good.'"
Matthew 23:8: "But you are not to be called `Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers."
Mark 10:18: "`Why do you call me good?' Jesus answered. `No one is good — except God alone.'": "`Why do you call me good?' Jesus answered. `No one is good — except God alone.'"
Mark 12:32-34: "`Well said, teacher,' the man replied. `You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.' When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, `You are not far from the kingdom of God.'"
Luke 1:49: "For the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is his name.": "For the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is his name."
John 5:42-44: "I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me: but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?"
John 17:3: "This is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."
Romans 3:29-30: "Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, since there is only one God."
Romans 16:27: "To the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen."
1 Corinthians 8:4-6: "So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world, and that there is no God but one. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many `gods' and many `lords'), yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."
Galatians 3:19-20: "The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator. A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one."
Ephesians 4:6: "One God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."
1 Timothy 1:17: "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."
1 Timothy 2:5: "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."
1 Timothy 6:13-16: "In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to keep this commandment without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which God will bring about in his own time — God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen."
James 2:19: "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that — and shudder.": "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that — and shudder."
James 4:12: "There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy."
Jude 25: "To the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

http://www.gci.org/God/howmany

Nice Post!!

John 10:30 Jesus said "i and the Father are one" this is the main reason the Jews wanted kill him. He was crucified for Blasphemy.

Next