Is Religion is a mental illness...

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 2:50 pm » by Phoenix rising

Well watcha thinks, is it... is it not.....

Leading neuroscientist: Religious fundamentalism may be a ‘mental illness’ that can be ‘cured’

Religious fundamentalism and cruelty to children may one day be treated in the same way as mental illness, a neuroscientist has speculated.

Kathleen Taylor, a research scientist at Oxford University’s Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, says strong negative beliefs could be eradicated using techniques already in the works.

Dr Taylor was speaking at the Hay Literary Festival in Wales when she was asked what she forsaw as positive developments in neuroscience in the coming years, The Times reports.
She replied: “One man’s positive can be another man’s negative. One of the surprises may be to see people with certain beliefs as people who can be treated.

“Someone who has for example become radicalised to a cult ideology – we might stop seeing that as a personal choice that they have chosen as a result of pure free will and may start treating it as some kind of mental disturbance.

“In many ways it could be a very positive thing because there are no doubt beliefs in our society that do a heck of a lot of damage.

“I am not just talking about the obvious candidates like radical Islam or some of the more extreme cults. I am talking about things like the belief that it is OK to beat your children.

“These beliefs are very harmful but are not normally categorised as mental illness.”
In a previous blog for the Huffington Post, Dr Taylor wrote of the “astonishing” advances in neuroscience and how it offers hope for some of the most feared diseases, including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

But she concedes motives beyond those which are purely clinical run into problematic territory.
Writing in September, a month before the release of her book The Brain Supremacy, she says: “The ethics developed by doctors, over centuries, to deal with human suffering, are different from those developed by scientists trying to understand how the world works.

“They’re still more different from the ethics of businesses keen to cash in on the new technologies… techniques created to heal can also be employed for other purposes, and the ability to get data from living brains is a holy grail for many interested parties other than neuroscientists and doctors.”

She adds: “Human systems are always changed by their interactions with others, and in hard-to-calculate ways. What a volunteer says and does in a research lab may be altered not only by the lab environment or the phrasing of a question, but by who the experimenters are and how they behave. The human person thus needs to be considered. Technologies which directly scan or manipulate brains cannot be neutral tools, as open to commercial exploitation as any new gadget.”

Links between extreme faiths and mental health have been made before, with former president of the Royal College of Psychiatrists Dr Dinesh Bhugra, highlighting recent religious conversions being more associated with a developing psychotic mental illness.

In a paper entitled ‘Self-concept: Psychosis and attraction of new religious movements’, he points to data from studies which shows that patients with first onset psychosis are likely to change their religion.
The introduction to Dr Taylor’s book adds further caution: “We need to be careful when it comes to developing technologies which can slip through the skull to directly manipulate the brain.
“They cannot be morally neutral, these world-shaping tools; when the aspect of the world in question is a human being, morality inevitably rears its hydra heads.

“Technologies which profoundly change our relationship with the world around us cannot simply be tools, to be used for good or evil, if they alter our basic perception of what good and evil are.

- See more at: http://www.ingeniouspress.com/2013/06/0 ... O1t8k.dpuf
We live a one directional life in an omnidirectional existence

Initiate

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 3:23 pm » by Flipper

Is religion a mental illness? Anything that is not the view of every day society can be classed as a mental illness, so can religion. What makes religion different from the rest, is that no person can prove that he or she's god actually exists. The human psyche has been proven by some it has the need to believe in a higher being to survive.

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 3:52 pm » by DarkHeart

In all fairness there is a world of difference between religion & fundamental religion which is the actual topic of this piece, which in its self is cover for mind control.

When they decide it is illegal to "believe" (for instance) 9/11 was an inside job, what then, thought police ?

:scary:
*WillEase* wrote:I was typing too fast to realize the error butt weasel.

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 4:01 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

The Religious? not necessarily so....... The religious fundamentalist? definitely....
Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Initiate

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 6:27 pm » by Giovanni

is much worse than mental illness

Customers Are Like Whores

Initiate

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 8:45 pm » by kentr b

imo,collective narsacism is the mental illness of religion
it is also the root of politics,science,education,healthcare
it seems to be seeded into all aspects of society
patiotrism is another
sports,boyscouts
same shit,different pile basiclly
there is a cure though, imo
i think its as simple as recognizing the narcism within yourself
if you can do that,things might get real

imo,with 7 billion folks on this rock,you fit
you fit without the ideals of what ever club or group mentality get thrown in your face

collective narscism is just like a gun
we all know that guns dont kill people
humanity and mankind are not real,both are just constructs of philosofy
you are real,where as they both seek your aliegence
be true to your self and avoid the fictions
anywys,just my opinion

:cheers:

Initiate

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 9:39 pm » by 1ofus

This is a very interesting question. Before I say what I'm going to say just let me say, lol, I am close to many people who are deeply religious and in every case I really care for these people and am not saying this to insult anyone. I was a die hard Christian for a period on my way to where I am now but I believe we as a people would be better off without religion. "religion divides us".

Imo, if religion was classified as a mental illness it would have to be along the lines of alcoholism, in fact many metaphors of alcohol and addiction accurately describe what religion does to the mind. For example; the alcoholic suffers from a mental delusion, simply put, he/she believes things that just aren't true.

I recall having a discussion with one of my Christian friends about what it means to be a Christian. I had told him that I could no longer say and mean the various creeds and dogmas that religion insisted upon and so therefore I could no longer call myself a Christian.

He came back with, "well I don't exactly believe everything either but that wasn't any reason to leave the church" and I came back with, "but you are reciting an oath that describes what you believe and that defines who you are and I am not all those things and why does religion insist on us taking these oaths if we don't really believe it all?"

There are many that would suggest that they indeed do believe everything in the creeds and dogmas and that to question these beliefs as I was doing was unhealthy and that I should pray for a stronger faith. These same types would say I should ignore logic, reason, experience and any new information that might come along and just accept what the church and religion tells us, in other words believe what is not true just as with addiction.

I have used this analogy before and I have to again because it very accurately describes what religion does to our thought process and again just as with alcoholism or addiction it builds a prison that we can't break free from until we can see it. That metaphor is of sheep in a pen.

All of our friends are there so being there can be comfortable. In most cases our parents brought us up in this institution so we accept it as good without question but if you view every doctrine and dogma of your religion as fencing material you can see how what you believe imprisons us. Take for example the idea of reincarnation.

Although I won't go into detail I have reasons to believe that we do or can reincarnate back to this world after we pass but that is something that is very much unaccepted in any Christian denomination and therefore outside the pen we are inside. Seems we would be better off if we were free to search for truth anywhere and not just inside the religious pen.

Just as there is hope for the alcoholic or the addict there is hope for those that are locked into the delusion of religion but you have to eliminate the middleman, religion, and go right to the source. That would be the spirit and he is found within through meditation and reflection. For those that wish to try, start with Matthew 6 and although I don't agree with all the god, father and kingdom nonsense it does suggest, as I am, that you eliminate the middlemen and go to the source, our collective spirit.

Great topic! :cheers: Have a great day!!!!

Writer

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 9:46 pm » by Cosmic Circle

Really, really ask yourself... "what is extreme?"

Extreme flies in the face of the norm.

A few hundred years ago, fundamentalism was the norm and what is today viewed as common understanding was viewed as heresy... "which could be cured".

No, religion is no more a mental illness than mainstream thought is. Today's norms are tomorrows backward, medieval idiocy.

The key to life is to live to love, regardless of what cultural or educational pool you swim. If you can't transcend you're own personal cocoon of perceived rightness - then you are just as mentally ill as anyone you can point your finger at.

Initiate

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 12:32 am » by Sevens

Advanced religion has already demonstrated itself in 2 expeditions to 1st Eden in 2004 and 2007 off Cyprus in the I read and See. It needs another expedition to scan under the mud to lift up the city, Eden proper in design marking the roadways and pthways as described by the Urantia Book.

Atheism cannot demonstrates that a personal God does not exist and always looks back in the past to criticize, the no God ideology has no future beyond time/space.

So what if people raise thier arms and worships God in faith without seeing but knowing him from within....so what mate!

Successful society has been built upon Christian principles as reflected in common law and all the creativity on this planet has come from these civilizations.

Remembering Atheists like Stalin, Hitler, Lenin, Pol Pot, Mao and the rest of them are responsible for over 200 millions deaths in the 20th century. Atheism has no track record to be proud off.

Super Moderator

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 12:44 am » by Slith

Sevens wrote:
Atheism cannot demonstrates that a personal God does not exist and always looks back in the past to criticize, the no God ideology has no future beyond time/space.

And Christianity and all other "religions" cannot demonstrate, nor have they ever, through a book/books that have been made over and interpreted differently hundreds of times, that there is a God.

Sorry, you can't prove me wrong

marnysad wrote:How to Pee a Brain Injury Rectification Involve Brain hurt

Next