Is there a squadron of Spitfires buried in Birmingham?

Conspirator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 10:36 pm » by Flecktarn

Is there a squadron of Spitfires buried in Birmingham?
A whole squadron of Second World War Spitfire fighter planes could lie buried under houses in Birmingham, a pensioner has claimed, as he admits he helped hide them.
Matt Queenan, 83, believes there could be well-preserved Spitfires lying in crates dug deep into the ground, potentially underneath houses.
He claims he is one of a team of workmen who buried them in 1950, greasing them up and encasing them in boxes under instructions from the War Office.
He has now spoken of the secret mission for the first time in public, after 36 of the iconic planes were found in Burma. The aircraft, discovered by aviation enthusiast David Cundall, are expected to soon be repatriated 67 years after being "lost".
One of the Spitfires is due to go on display in Birmingham shortly.
Mr Queenan, a former bareknuckle boxer, said: "You don't need to go all the way to Burma to find Spitfires. There are plenty buried here in Birmingham."
He claims the operation was carried out in a hangar in Castle Bromwich, near to where the aircraft were built during the Second World War.
After being told to bury them by War Office official Harry Bramwell, the labourers "covered them in greased" before they were "boxed up", he alleges.
A spokesman for the RAF museum conceded the claims could not be ruled out, while the Ministry of Defence said it was "highly improbable".
Mr Queenan said: "It was December. We got picked up by Harry Bramwell from outside the Labour Exchange in the city centre.
"We covered the planes in grease and they were boxed up. We were told they were going to be buried.
"I think they were buried nearby, close to the Chester Road, but I don't know where.
"There could be houses over them or anything now because it was all fields in them days."
A spokeswoman for the RAF Museum, in London, said Mr Queenan's claims could not be ruled out.
"It is possible, but we just do not know," she said. "Many of them would have been disposed of in the local area through scrapyards. The RAF didn't keep records once they had been handed over to someone else to take care of.
"It's unlikely, but it could have happened."
A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "It is highly improbable Spitfires were buried in Birmingham in the 1950s. We have no evidence of it."
Earlier this year, 62-year-old David Cundall found 36 Spitfires in Burma, after spending 15 years and more than £10,000 searching.
“They were just buried there in transport crates,” Mr Cundall said. “They were waxed, wrapped in greased paper and their joints tarred. They will be in near perfect condition.”
The aircraft will be returned to Britain after Prime Minister David Cameron intervened in favour of their repatriation.source telegraph

there has always been storys of buried night fighters at charmy down air field just out side of bath ,been there a few time but never thought about taking a metal detector
ImageImage

Conspirator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 11:04 pm » by Toxic32

My father was in the 617 squadron during the second world war. Then after the war he worked at a place called Langar, Nottingham this is where they decommission Lancaster bombers after the war. I remember he told me that they the MOD lost interest in keeping check of what happened to the aircraft as most of them were sold on or scraped or spares. He told me that the workers at the place became pissed off that the government were just scraping the bombers with no eye on the future or the sacrifice that had been made by bomber command crews. Anyway to cut a long story short. They got together and in their spare time cocooned and retarded a new Lancaster bomber so that it would last for years. Then they had a big hole dug then in which they placed it. He told me where it was placed and should still be there. Just north of were the bomb dump was. If you look on google Earth the airfield still exists

I question everything. I don't believe anything I'm told or anything I see. Prove it, or fuck off. And that's not me I see in the mirror in the morning.

Super Moderator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 11:14 pm » by The57ironman

.....nice...if they're vintage machines , i want one... :mrgreen:

:cheers:

.... so-called "free speech zones."..?...Image

Conspirator

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 pm » by Toxic32

Bring your spade lets get on with it.
I question everything. I don't believe anything I'm told or anything I see. Prove it, or fuck off. And that's not me I see in the mirror in the morning.

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 am » by Doogle

I'm taking the floorboards up in 5.

I did read about a guy on a mission to Burma to uncover a few too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20515659

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:27 am » by Toxic32

Yes that's true He said there are 30 spitfires underground in Burma. Must be worth a fortune. And they know where they are.

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 am » by Doogle

Toxic32 wrote:Yes that's true He said there are 30 spitfires underground in Burma. Must be worth a fortune. And they know where they are.

It's a funny story really, because the guy has spent loads and been over there before after using satellite imagery and nearly given up, but it turned out that they were using the map the wrong way up and looking at the wrong end of the runway! True.

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 1:17 am » by Toxic32

Shit happens?

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 am » by Flecktarn

Toxic32 wrote:My father was in the 617 squadron during the second world war. Then after the war he worked at a place called Langar, Nottingham this is where they decommission Lancaster bombers after the war. I remember he told me that they the MOD lost interest in keeping check of what happened to the aircraft as most of them were sold on or scraped or spares. He told me that the workers at the place became pissed off that the government were just scraping the bombers with no eye on the future or the sacrifice that had been made by bomber command crews. Anyway to cut a long story short. They got together and in their spare time cocooned and retarded a new Lancaster bomber so that it would last for years. Then they had a big hole dug then in which they placed it. He told me where it was placed and should still be there. Just north of were the bomb dump was. If you look on google Earth the airfield still exists

hey toxic ask your father if he knew a bomb aimer/navigator called Gerald eld ,he was shot down over berlin but survived the war hes still quite a fit old chap now ,he was also based at langar :flop: :flop:
ImageImage

Conspirator

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 am » by Toxic32

hey toxic ask your father if he knew a bomb aimer/navigator called Gerald eld ,he was shot down over berlin but survived the war hes still quite a fit old chap now ,he was also based at langar :flop: :flop:[/quote]

I wished I could, but he passed way a few years ago. Never the less my dad worked at Langer for 25 years for most of that time he was flight engineer.But ended his time there as a foreman in the flight shed. I bet Gerald would remember my dad. He was known as Ted or paddy Armstrong. And had a great friend called Faz.

Next