Ison 2013

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 10:39 am » by Aragajag

The sky has not fallen in here yet, is there anybody out there?
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Initiate

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 11:13 am » by Flipper

Aragajag wrote:The sky has not fallen in here yet, is there anybody out there?

There are us that are out there. Happy Friday Aragajag. :cheers:

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 11:16 am » by Aragajag

Flipper wrote:
Aragajag wrote:The sky has not fallen in here yet, is there anybody out there?

There are us that are out there. Happy Friday Aragajag. :cheers:

You as well flipper. :sunny:
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 12:48 pm » by Toxic32

Does the fact that a significant chunk of Ison survived the encounter with the sun mean it could pose a threat to us in anyway. I assume Ison lost a significant amount of mass during the flyby, with that in mind would it affect the predicted slingshot path around the sun. Smaller mass tighter the turn and faster speed? Maybe it could hit us if that was the case.

Looking at the video it didn't seem to follow the predicted path?
I question everything. I don't believe anything I'm told or anything I see. Prove it, or fuck off. And that's not me I see in the mirror in the morning.

Super Moderator

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 3:01 pm » by Slith

Toxic32 wrote:Does the fact that a significant chunk of Ison survived the encounter with the sun mean it could pose a threat to us in anyway. I assume Ison lost a significant amount of mass during the flyby, with that in mind would it affect the predicted slingshot path around the sun. Smaller mass tighter the turn and faster speed? Maybe it could hit us if that was the case.

Looking at the video it didn't seem to follow the predicted path?

That's a good question

I'm just here for the popcorn Image

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 11:21 pm » by Shaggietrip

Not to think this is all over I thought I would post a few updates. The next things of focus for some will be, How much of nuclei is intact if any? What really caused the break up? What to expect in the skies? Then soon going through the tail and what to expect. Not to get to far ahead. Here are just three that I will post from today scramble of updates on the happenings.

DrKStrong

Upload to Disclose.tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jShHxQGHx8A

BPEarthWatch

Upload to Disclose.tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC8JUSE_Lr8

nemesis maturity

Upload to Disclose.tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oEwq_KwT1c

Stay cool. :cheers:
ImageImage
Star watchers,Sun,Moon or just space in interest. https://www.darkskywatcher.com/dsw74.html

Conspirator

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 12:47 am » by E6722maj

whatever

Super Moderator

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 12:56 am » by The57ironman

.....you can educate the ignorant...but there's no fk'n helping the stupid.

Conspirator

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 1:09 am » by kentrb

The57ironman wrote:http://www.solarsystemscope.com/ison/

awesome
:cheers:

Super Moderator

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 8:43 am » by Seahawk

A NASA Hangout from Goddard Space Flight Center. Good interviews.

Streamed live on Nov 28, 2013

NASA Hangout: Comet ISON LIVE

The ultimate battle of fire and ice! Who will win, the sun or Comet #ISON?

Join #NASA as we followed the journey of Comet ISON as it slingshot around the sun.

During this LIVE event NASA scientists answered: Will the awesome gravity and energy of the sun break up this cosmic ball of ice and rock? Will it break up? Or will it pass the sun intact to put on a dazzling show in the December sky?

NASA solar physicists tracked the comet LIVE from the mission control for NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory,@NASA_SDO, during #ISON's closest approach to the sun.

We were also joined by comet scientists from Kitt Peak Observatory in Arizona, where the solar telescope will be observing ISON and by science writer Phil Plait.

NASA scientists answered your questions LIVE on air on Google+, in the YouTube comments section during the live broadcast, or via Twitter using #ISON and #askNASA.

The participants in this Hangout included:

• C. Alex Young, Solar Physicist, Associate Director for Science in the Heliophysics Science Division and co-founder of The Sun Today - NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.,

• W. Dean Pesnell, Solar Physicist and Project Scientist for the Solar Dynamics Observatory - NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.,

• Karl Battams, Comet Scientist for the Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, and solar spacecraft lead for NASA's Comet ISON Observing Campaign, joining from Kitt Peak Observatory in Arizona, where the solar telescope will be observing ISON.

• Phil Plait, writes Slate's 'Bad Astronomy' blog and is an astronomer, science evangelizer, and author of the books "Bad Astronomy" and "Death from the Skies!"

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

PreviousNext